Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Discriminating New Zealand?

Discriminating New Zealand?

Old May 20th 2003, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Smoko
I dont know why your having so much trouble mate but new zealand is only good for chippies, sparks, plumbers, builders so that might be it. Theres just no good jobs for office boys like you loads of kiwis at work are going to england for the good money and I dont blame them. The money over here is terrible. even the aussies are on better money and their thick!

Yes, I am starting to think that you are right. A number of NZers that I know have also gone to the UK for the better job opportunities available there for graduates - they are just not gonna be able to follow the careers for which they have been educated here.

Cheers, Slippers
Old May 20th 2003, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Slippers
Yes, I am starting to think that you are right. A number of NZers that I know have also gone to the UK for the better job opportunities available there for graduates - they are just not gonna be able to follow the careers for which they have been educated here.

Cheers, Slippers
That does seem to be the problem. NZ is clearly not somewhere for a city type looking to develop their career. Seems to be the case with IT work, clearly shouldn't be on the shortage list but if I was solely looking for career opportunities in IT or similar I would never consider coming to NZ.

I guess it just depends what you want from life, personally I would rather substitute career opportunities for anything listed in your positives list....well...not sure about Nesian Mystick yet but we'll see. As I said earlier we're coming for family reasons, but I'm more than happy to take the slower pace, (I'm currently self employed furniture restorer so not exactly Wall St material!)

I also think that (please, no-one bite, not aimed at anyone etc.etc) that many Brits are of the impression they are superior to anyone else, and expect countries like NZ to be eternally grateful to us for gracing their shores.

I'll shut up now before I upset anyone, but the point is perhaps people should really think about what NZ has to offer & is that what they really want. Keep posting Slippers, you're clearly trying to get that message across & you may even stop someone making a big mistake, but we're not all moving for those reasons.

Cheers...Gra
Old May 20th 2003, 5:45 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: discussion

Thanks for your comments.

However, I have to take issue with your rash suggestion that someone who is having trouble getting work in NZ might be an OK person.

I have to admit here that I am indeed a monster and if it were not for the fact that I have eaten most of my past colleagues (picture the cookie monster in a shop full of ginger snaps on special offer and you have the scene) then they would be able to tell you so. When I left my last job in the UK - bouncer at a kindergarten - the whip-round was used to buy me a pair of arsenic trousers and the card read "You Bastard".

Sadly, it gets worse. My idea of an application for a job is to arrange for the employer to wake up in the morning with a horse's head in his bed with a note attached saying "A job or your life - your choice." When I can be arsed to send a CV, I insist on writing it in Cockney Rhyming slang cos it is my cultural heritage and I make it clear that I cannot work past 5 for any reason cos I have to be back in my shackles before the moon comes up and the transformation starts.

You are a kind person and I know you are just trying to be open-minded but please do not waste it on this particular unemployed NZer.

Cheers

Slippers
Very funny Slipper (better than that one you deleted!) - keep posting.

Cheers - Don
Old May 20th 2003, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discriminating New Zealand?

Hate to tell you this but the UK does exactly the same thing as does Australia, US etc.
Old May 20th 2003, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Very funny Slipper (better than that one you deleted!) - keep posting.

Cheers - Don
The post I deleted was more down to earth and that is, obviously, why I deleted it. What is the bloody point of posting anything other than puff and jokes here anyway? So I thought I'd dangle another rattle out for you.
Old May 20th 2003, 8:00 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

The post I deleted was more down to earth and that is, obviously, why I deleted it. What is the bloody point of posting anything other than puff and jokes here anyway? So I thought I'd dangle another rattle out for you.
Well I more or less remember the bit you directed at me, Slipper: you said that only 3.3% unemployed Pakeha (Europeans) was not a valid statistic as unemployed immigrants were not allowed to register as unemployed for 2 years.

In reality, you maybe were unwittingly just pointing to the fact that the employment statistics for Pakeha are slightly lagging indicators. (Though UK migrants can normally register as unemployed after 1 year, not 2.) You'd have to believe that there are disproportionately more Pakeha unemployed but unregistered who arrived in the last two years than in the previous period for the statistic on Pakeha unemployment to be significantly different to 3.3%.

Cheers - Don
Old May 21st 2003, 11:49 am
Just Joined

umfaan is an unknown quantity at this point

Kiwi employers are keen on the prospective employee having "Kiwi experience". This does not have to be in your designated field of employment.... The mere fact that you are willing to do do a "menial" job while waiting for your proper job strengthens the chance to get a proper job.
The IT field is getting over supplied as if a person does not know what direction to follow...IT is the answer... That is why the employers are so selective, also, some IT qualifications are not worth the paper they are written on as the newly qualified IT professional has no working knowledge but wants a high paying job!
So sorry to be attacking the IT side, but reality is harsh! I have a BSc Metallurgical Engineering degree, did a MCSE as a filler before coming to NZ, worked as a salesman in an electronics store for 5 months before landing my dream job!

Blessings all
Umfaan
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:08 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Its exactly the same here in uk.

A uni course for example costs nearly 4 times as much for an international student....
Absolutely right, I pay just over £1000 a year on my degree course my best friend from Malaysia is on the same course and she pays £5000. I would expect to pay more than her if I was studying in Malaysia.
ACE
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:06 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Well working in the industry that employs 10% of the population of NZ i feel i have to comment!It is far easier to get a job in "farming" if your an ex pome.UK folks are welcomed into the business with open arms and there is currently hundreds of jobs available with the farming sector...they even advertise them in the UK.NZ is not a city type employer on the whole,its based on practical physical manual work,its everywhere you look.Times are constantly changing as kiwis here all tell us,look at Auckland!Yeah it may be behind compared to London and the like but really who here gives a toss.Besides,who defines "behind" as been a bad thing.I would still rather work here on 40k$ a year than 40kpound in the UK,but what do i know,i only grow turnips and arn't classed as the typical pome.In the last 18 months i've come to realise if its a manual trade you will always find work here in NZ but lots of other job types are fought for by locals and the non manual worker expats which i read somewhere accounted for over 60% of immigrants(until the recent immigration changes)
Its a population thing,i think its hard for UK folks to understand there are only 4million people here and NZ doesn't need as many suits as the UK.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting posts...... I do notice that all of my english family here in the UK moan about new immigrants/asylum seekers having more rights than born and bred Brits.......... and it seems Brits are going to NZ expecting to be more important than born and bred NZer's.

With regards to the employment issue, if I had 2 applicants with same qualifications it make business sense to choose the one with local market knowledge.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:24 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Vicky - obviously none of you have ever tried being an immigrant in the UK.

Outside of the IT boom times times a few years back - I know many people (who actually have British passports) who regularly take 3 to 6 months to find work in Britain. This is normal. UK employers rightly prioritise UK experience over non-UK experience, just as NZ employers do. If faced with a stack of CV's, and you're looking for any reason to whittle it down, wouldn't you?

It's human nature to view outsiders with suspicion. You'll get this being an immigrant anywhere.

Frankly I couldn't believe that I was entitled to free health care in the UK after being here only a few weeks. That is perhaps a little more welcoming, but absolutely ludricous when you think about it. At that point I had contributed next to nothing to the UK economy. I was not a refugee (who incidentally, I think should get free health care), but I literally had the money in my hand to pay for it, but no one to give it to.