Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Discriminating New Zealand?

Discriminating New Zealand?

Old May 18th 2003, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Slippers,
I do enjoy reading your posts, I can't always figure out where you're coming from, but I'm still a fan of your work!

Now don't take this personally, it's really not aimed at you, but there are people who never get the jobs they think they should. I've interviewed people before, qualified, experienced etc, but come across as a right twat! If said 'twat' then goes off to NZ but can't find a decent job, should he assume it's because he's not a Kiwi? No, it's because he's still a twat wherever he is but now he's got an excuse.
That's honestly not aimed at you, or anyone else for that matter, but just a thought..

Cheers...Gra..
Old May 18th 2003, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gra.B
Hi Slippers,
I do enjoy reading your posts, I can't always figure out where you're coming from, but I'm still a fan of your work!

Now don't take this personally, it's really not aimed at you, but there are people who never get the jobs they think they should. I've interviewed people before, qualified, experienced etc, but come across as a right twat! If said 'twat' then goes off to NZ but can't find a decent job, should he assume it's because he's not a Kiwi? No, it's because he's still a twat wherever he is but now he's got an excuse.
That's honestly not aimed at you, or anyone else for that matter, but just a thought..

Cheers...Gra..

Thanks for the compliments about my posts.

I will trust that you are not being personal and will take your post seriously.

Over the 8 months that I have been here (NZ) now, I have applied for a very large number of jobs of all kinds - ranging from what I used to do in London, to things I haven't had to apply for since I was in my teens to earn a bit of pocket money, and have not even had a single interview in all that time.

I have sent a variety of CVs, letters, and other supporting info, and have even consulted a NZ careers adviser to help me prepare my applications.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it is hard to see how someone can be judged a 'twat' at interview when they are never given the chance of even having a single interview. Oh, also, I have never had to apply for more than 3 jobs in the UK before getting one. I interview very well.

After banging my head against this NZ wall for this long, I am soon going back to the UK.

I do not care one way or another whether people come to NZ or not. In fact, I hope more Poms do cos then I will find the UK has more space than I remember when I get back there. My posts are concerned with NZ as I have found it to be, rather than the NZ of NZ Immigration Service literature.

I am going to join the NZers emigrating to England, not the dreaming Poms who are going to NZ.

Slippers

Last edited by Slippers; May 18th 2003 at 9:30 pm.
Old May 18th 2003, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Slippers

Over the 8 months that I have been here (NZ) now, I have applied for a very large number of jobs of all kinds - ranging from what I used to do in London, to things I haven't had to apply for since I was in my teens to earn a bit of pocket money, and have not even had a single interview in all that time.

Slippers
Blimey! Point taken!

Could this not just be the particular field you are in? Can't remember if you've said before.
Old May 18th 2003, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Blimey! Point taken!

Could this not just be the particular field you are in? Can't remember if you've said before.

I am an office type bod and have worked in admin, research, and writing/editing.

There are quite a few trades jobs here, though, and I would never say that someone in a skilled trade couldn't get a job here. In fact, I would go further than that, and say that NZ may well offer a better life to a tradesperson than the UK. It is much the same for Oz, it seems.

Slippers
Old May 18th 2003, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am an office type bod and have worked in admin, research, and writing/editing.

There are quite a few trades jobs here, though, and I would never say that someone in a skilled trade couldn't get a job here. In fact, I would go further than that, and say that NZ may well offer a better life to a tradesperson than the UK. It is much the same for Oz, it seems.

Slippers
Glad it's not all doom & gloom then, we'll see. I'm not of the mind that NZ will give me endless opportunites, far from it. Like you if things don't work out then we'll just come back, or go somwhere else. To be honest if it wasn't for my wife's connections I'd never dream of leaving here, I wouldn't even make it past the Isle of Wight! But she's spent 7 yrs here with no family so I guess it's my turn. Don't get me wrong, I am still in 'dreamer mode' and can't wait etc. etc., but if it doesn't work out then so be it.

Cheers...Gra.
Old May 18th 2003, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Glad it's not all doom & gloom then, we'll see. I'm not of the mind that NZ will give me endless opportunites, far from it. Like you if things don't work out then we'll just come back, or go somwhere else. To be honest if it wasn't for my wife's connections I'd never dream of leaving here, I wouldn't even make it past the Isle of Wight! But she's spent 7 yrs here with no family so I guess it's my turn. Don't get me wrong, I am still in 'dreamer mode' and can't wait etc. etc., but if it doesn't work out then so be it.

Cheers...Gra.

You have a balanced and mature approach, and your last sentence shows that. Your reasons for going are also generous and that deserves to be rewarded with success. I am still not sure how, but if you can find a way to give it your full effort whilst also keeping the exit door open with your other foot then that seems to me to be the best policy. I didn't think to keep the exit open and shoulder-barging it now is painful.

Good luck Gra.
Old May 19th 2003, 12:22 am
Just Joined

yabba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Discriminating NZ

Hi Slippers,

Cheers...Gra..
Gra.B

You hide behind "don't take this personally" and "That's honestly not aimed at you, or anyone else for that matter, but just a thought" but really all you are attempting is to put down those who don't share your opinions and views. You are saying that the probable reason a person has not secured a job here is because they are a "twat". Your analysis is breathtaking. When someone resorts to veiled insults it’s always a sign that they are finding it difficult to grasp the debate and defend their point.

What I would ask is that you don't make assumptions about other peoples abilities - you haven't a clue about them or their situations. Perhaps when you've lived here a while your views will be more balanced.
Old May 19th 2003, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Discriminating NZ

Originally posted by yabba
Gra.B

You hide behind "don't take this personally" and "That's honestly not aimed at you, or anyone else for that matter, but just a thought" but really all you are attempting is to put down those who don't share your opinions and views. You are saying that the probable reason a person has not secured a job here is because they are a "twat". Your analysis is breathtaking. When someone resorts to veiled insults it’s always a sign that they are finding it difficult to grasp the debate and defend their point.

What I would ask is that you don't make assumptions about other peoples abilities - you haven't a clue about them or their situations. Perhaps when you've lived here a while your views will be more balanced.
Yabba,

Thank you for finding my analysis breathtaking.

My analysis is actually based on a person I DO know, living here who would never dream of emmigrating. The fact is that he is highly qualified etc. etc but unemployed, countless interviews for positions suited to his skills blah..blah..blah, but he is virtually impossible to get along with. He, unfortunately, is one of those people that the majority take an instant dislike to. He even accepts this himself! So, this was in no way a veiled insult and I apologise if you thought I was referring to your good self, or anyone else on here.

So, i have not made any assumptions, my breathtaking analysis is based on a true experience and was merely a suggestion (one which I believe to be true in many cases.)

I value all experiences shared on this forum. Slippers for one has brought many, good & bad. His comments regarding his experience of job hunting are actually quite shocking, ie. 8 mths & no interview, but we can't assume that all new-comers will find the same. It works both ways, I know people who HAVE made a success in NZ.

However, what I still find to be truly amazing are your initial comments on guitar lessons, being a situation you will find world-wide.
I just can't believe anyone would find this an issue, but each to their own I guess!

Cheers...Gra..
Old May 19th 2003, 4:21 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Discriminating NZ

Yabba,

Thank you for finding my analysis breathtaking.

My analysis is actually based on a person I DO know, living here who would never dream of emmigrating. The fact is that he is highly qualified etc. etc but unemployed, countless interviews for positions suited to his skills blah..blah..blah, but he is virtually impossible to get along with. He, unfortunately, is one of those people that the majority take an instant dislike to. He even accepts this himself! So, this was in no way a veiled insult and I apologise if you thought I was referring to your good self, or anyone else on here.

So, i have not made any assumptions, my breathtaking analysis is based on a true experience and was merely a suggestion (one which I believe to be true in many cases.)

I value all experiences shared on this forum. Slippers for one has brought many, good & bad. His comments regarding his experience of job hunting are actually quite shocking, ie. 8 mths & no interview, but we can't assume that all new-comers will find the same. It works both ways, I know people who HAVE made a success in NZ.

However, what I still find to be truly amazing are your initial comments on guitar lessons, being a situation you will find world-wide.
I just can't believe anyone would find this an issue, but each to their own I guess!

Cheers...Gra..
I spent a lot of my last couple of jobs interviewing people for junior/middle management positions. What Gra is saying is perfectly true. Some of best qualified people on paper actually came over in interview as impossible to fit into a team - and often when we checked out doubts by phoning work referees the candidates had supplied themselves, the referees warned us off that the candidate was a 'difficult person to work with'. The usual reason for rejecting people who pass the initial scrutiny and go through to a more detailed look is because you don't fancy the idea of working with them.

Cheers - Don

Last edited by The Don; May 19th 2003 at 9:28 pm.
Old May 19th 2003, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

dove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default discussion

Hi there

I've just checked in on this discussion and have been surprised at the path it has taken. Yes of course one reason why a person is not successful in gaining employment is because they may be revealed to be difficult to work with but I do not think this is the only reason to be considered; one of the posters hasn't had an interview yet!

A good friend of mine, who was a joy to work with when I worked with him in the UK, came over here at the beginning of the year and he has found it very difficult to get regular work, he has also met people on his travels who have found it difficult. From numerous postings on this board I think difficulty in gaining employment is a reality for many immigrants in NZ - are we to assume that they're all difficult to work with? It's very easy when one is in employment to assume it should be straight forward for everyone else.

It took me 6 weeks to get a job here, longer than I had hoped and I consider myself fortunate. Yes your employment prospects are going to be a lot better with PR, if you're here on a WV it's going to be more difficult to get to the interview stage. From talking to job seekers here they tell me that many employers are now excluding applicants without PR even when they have a WV. Yes, from an employers point of view I can see why they might do this (e.g. a sense of greater security with someone with PR) but from a job seekers view this is going to make the search harder.

This is going on longer than I had wanted to! Slipper and Yabba, and anyone other person looking for work good luck, chin up and please ignore those who try to hint that it's all about you. NZ is absolutely wonderful but it ain't Disneyland!

Good luck!
dove
Old May 19th 2003, 9:23 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: discussion

Originally posted by dove
Hi there
Slipper and Yabba, and anyone other person looking for work good luck, chin up and please ignore those who try to hint that it's all about you. NZ is absolutely wonderful but it ain't Disneyland!

Good luck!
dove
I for one wasn't hinting this was about anyone on the forum. I haven't met them, read their CV, interviewed them or formed an opinion about their employability/ teamworking skills.

Cheers - Don
Old May 19th 2003, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there

I've just checked in on this discussion and have been surprised at the path it has taken. Yes of course one reason why a person is not successful in gaining employment is because they may be revealed to be difficult to work with but I do not think this is the only reason to be considered; one of the posters hasn't had an interview yet!

A good friend of mine, who was a joy to work with when I worked with him in the UK, came over here at the beginning of the year and he has found it very difficult to get regular work, he has also met people on his travels who have found it difficult. From numerous postings on this board I think difficulty in gaining employment is a reality for many immigrants in NZ - are we to assume that they're all difficult to work with? It's very easy when one is in employment to assume it should be straight forward for everyone else.

It took me 6 weeks to get a job here, longer than I had hoped and I consider myself fortunate. Yes your employment prospects are going to be a lot better with PR, if you're here on a WV it's going to be more difficult to get to the interview stage. From talking to job seekers here they tell me that many employers are now excluding applicants without PR even when they have a WV. Yes, from an employers point of view I can see why they might do this (e.g. a sense of greater security with someone with PR) but from a job seekers view this is going to make the search harder.

This is going on longer than I had wanted to! Slipper and Yabba, and anyone other person looking for work good luck, chin up and please ignore those who try to hint that it's all about you. NZ is absolutely wonderful but it ain't Disneyland!

Good luck!
dove

Thanks for your comments.

However, I have to take issue with your rash suggestion that someone who is having trouble getting work in NZ might be an OK person.

I have to admit here that I am indeed a monster and if it were not for the fact that I have eaten most of my past colleagues (picture the cookie monster in a shop full of ginger snaps on special offer and you have the scene) then they would be able to tell you so. When I left my last job in the UK - bouncer at a kindergarten - the whip-round was used to buy me a pair of arsenic trousers and the card read "You Bastard".

Sadly, it gets worse. My idea of an application for a job is to arrange for the employer to wake up in the morning with a horse's head in his bed with a note attached saying "A job or your life - your choice." When I can be arsed to send a CV, I insist on writing it in Cockney Rhyming slang cos it is my cultural heritage and I make it clear that I cannot work past 5 for any reason cos I have to be back in my shackles before the moon comes up and the transformation starts.

You are a kind person and I know you are just trying to be open-minded but please do not waste it on this particular unemployed NZer.

Cheers

Slippers
Old May 19th 2003, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi there

Good luck!
dove
Hi Dove,

Of course what I said is not the only thing to be considered, no-one ever said it was! But it is still a possibility. Perhaps I worded it a bit crudely though but Slipper & Don got the gist of it. I should also have said from the start that I was describing someone I know personally, I just thought it was clear enough it wasn't aimed at anyone.

I normally try not to get involved with these neg/pos arguments, and do appreciate reading people's experiences. But I don't think it's fair to class a nation in general as discriminatory on the basis of the first post. The bloke is essentially on holiday!

Of course it will be harder without PR, I wouldn't expect it to be any different, but I'm not under this illusion, perhaps some people are?

Again, no offence intended, appologies if any taken!

Cheers...Gra..
Old May 19th 2003, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your comments.

However, I have to take issue with your rash suggestion that someone who is having trouble getting work in NZ might be an OK person.

I have to admit here that I am indeed a monster and if it were not for the fact that I have eaten most of my past colleagues (picture the cookie monster in a shop full of ginger snaps on special offer and you have the scene) then they would be able to tell you so. When I left my last job in the UK - bouncer at a kindergarten - the whip-round was used to buy me a pair of arsenic trousers and the card read "You Bastard".

Sadly, it gets worse. My idea of an application for a job is to arrange for the employer to wake up in the morning with a horse's head in his bed with a note attached saying "A job or your life - your choice." When I can be arsed to send a CV, I insist on writing it in Cockney Rhyming slang cos it is my cultural heritage and I make it clear that I cannot work past 5 for any reason cos I have to be back in my shackles before the moon comes up and the transformation starts.

You are a kind person and I know you are just trying to be open-minded but please do not waste it on this particular unemployed NZer.

Cheers

Slippers
........and you wonder why you're unemployed
Old May 20th 2003, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Smoko is an unknown quantity at this point

I have sent a variety of CVs, letters, and other supporting info, and have even consulted a NZ careers adviser to help me prepare my applications.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it is hard to see how someone can be judged a 'twat' at interview when they are never given the chance of even having a single interview. Oh, also, I have never had to apply for more than 3 jobs in the UK before getting one. I interview very well.

After banging my head against this NZ wall for this long, I am soon going back to the UK.

I do not care one way or another whether people come to NZ or not. In fact, I hope more Poms do cos then I will find the UK has more space than I remember when I get back there. My posts are concerned with NZ as I have found it to be, rather than the NZ of NZ Immigration Service literature.

I am going to join the NZers emigrating to England, not the dreaming Poms who are going to NZ.

Slippers
I dont know why your having so much trouble mate but new zealand is only good for chippies, sparks, plumbers, builders so that might be it. Theres just no good jobs for office boys like you loads of kiwis at work are going to england for the good money and I dont blame them. The money over here is terrible. even the aussies are on better money and their thick!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.