creepy crawlies

Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: creepy crawlies

Originally Posted by Gambolina
Re: ants, apparently if you mix bicarbonate of soda and icing sugar and stick some in their path, they ingest it and it reacts with the formic acid in their stomach, can expel gas and it kills them....they take it back to the nest too, so gets rid of all the blighters! It is a child and pet friendly way to treat rather than using poison....
Doesn't work. Not at all

Bugger all works.

Spray the house helps but will not stop.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Gambolina is an unknown quantity at this point

Really? Good to know it doesn't work as that was going to be my next line of attack! Thought it sounded a bit too good to be true...we used the raid poison once (had to put under drawers etc where kids and pets couldn't get to it, and that worked but took about 3 weeks and had to keep filling the bait things so a bit of a palaver pulling drawers etc out!
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:04 am
`

I used the 'kill ants' gel a few times in an endeavor to see the blighters off. It was one of the times they decided to try raids on the kitchen.

A very few were killed. Mostly they just walked around the assorted blobs , steering well clear , or found other ways not in the path of the gel. Weeks in of this and still no let up.

Gotta hand it to them. They're determined.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Usually the attack of the ant brigade indoors is the least of our worries - they tend to be very random for a short and sharp visit; move in and move on to the next spot pretty quickly if there's no source of food. If we get an attack I spray them all over with regular fly spray, sweep and wipe the dead'uns up off the floor and they don't generally come back to the same spot.

The bigger nuisance is flies and therefore the spraying of house on a continual basis is a necessary evil for many of us now the evenings are lighter and doors and windows are open. You have to embrace the idea of chemical warfare, unless of course you're happy to live with fly poo all over your kitchen ceiling and walls Yeughh!!

It's so annoying to hear that crazy mental buzzing the minute the sun comes out and you dare crack the windows open.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

As to dangerous spiders ie the Katipo, I have been here 27 years and never seen one! however ants are a bugger. I keep on the kitchen bench a spray bottle of neat white vinegar which I use after feeding the dogs (raw food) to clean the benches down with and it comes in handy when I have ants on a jar or bottle I just spray them in the sink which kills them and or rinse them down the sink. I don't use any sort of insecticide in the kitchen around food but will use it for cockroaches up on walls or ceiling - hate them and really petrified, they move so fast.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bumptious
As to dangerous spiders ie the Katipo, I have been here 27 years and never seen one!
I think the same goes for 99.99% of the population. Theyre an endangered species and sightings are very rare, according to Wikipedia. They live only in secluded sanddunes.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:59 am
`

I've not see this Katipo spider at all. I believe them to be endangered. We have see white tails a couple of times though and know of three people who were quite poorly after being bitten by one.

You have to bear in mind that husband is a tradesman and so we know tradesmen that have to crawl under houses and the like.

Our wood store is under part of our house and so it pays to be sensible about this.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 24th 2014 at 9:05 pm. Reason: edit post to try and break tech hitch thing when splitting thread
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:24 pm
`

Incidental posts moved to a thread of their own as totally deflecting from our wee creepy crawly thread .

Originally Posted by Bumptious
but will use it for cockroaches up on walls or ceiling - hate them and really petrified, they move so fast.
Horrible feeling really. I feel like that about a certain type of 'thing' too.

I think you're dead brave then to even try to tackle them.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 24th 2014 at 9:27 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 4:26 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

White tails. A friend of mine said she found one in her house. So what did I do. Google it. Holy shit!

So now I'm paranoid lol and my toddler said mummy a spider bit me and I freckled out only for her to tell me it was a pretend one. Lol
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:36 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2NZ2013
I freckled out
sorry but LOL

My OH reckons we have had white tails in our first house but I could never see the white tip on the tail as they were so small I'm not convinced but hey he was the one dealing with them so not my problem.

Its the jumping spiders that freak me out, if they just didn't have those two larger legs at the front they wouldn't be so yukky. But I'm ok with killing them once OH has finished playing with them and the infra red light or I get bored waiting for him to finish playing with them

Last edited by MrsFychan; Sep 27th 2014 at 10:26 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:38 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol oh I love auto correct lol
Old Sep 27th 2014, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Its the jumping spiders that freak me out

Jumping! Spiders! <H faints>
Old Sep 27th 2014, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a couple of spiders in the house that made us jump a bit, a wood spider which was about the size of my hand!! & a black tunnel web, which stood up on its back legs & showed me its fangs!!
But the freak-out one we had was a weta crawling over my shoulder. Don;t mind them, but not when they take you by surprise!!!
Used to get loads of whitetails, but haven't seen one since we started using automatic sprays a few years ago.
Not too keen on flying Huhu Beetles either, we tend to get them in February/March, they love finding open windows

Last edited by mickey_d; Sep 27th 2014 at 12:32 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Not too keen on flying Huhu Beetles either, we tend to get them in February/March, they love finding open windows
I hate those too, cos they go absolutely absolutely mental, bouncing off the lights and walls.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

We trace where they are entering the house and then spray them, usually it helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.