creepy crawlies

Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:11 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: creepy crawlies

Spider bites | Ministry of Health NZ
Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:15 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Red backs. In nz?
Yeah, red backs in NZ ? Do the authorities know about this ?

I mean plenty of red necks, but, red back spiders ?

I thought white tail spiders and weta's were about as bad as it got for poisonous insects in NZ.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Yeah, red backs in NZ ? Do the authorities know about this ?
I 'spect they do. They can look it up on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redback_spider if they have access to t'interwebby thing.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

smileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nice

OK, so I've been here barely a month and yesterday found a dead cockroach just inside our front door - I've kept my cool about it ... mainly by telling myself that it was a lonesome cockroach who lived alone, had no friends or relatives and just happened to be passing and thought our open front door looked like an invitation to enter and take his dying breath! And that's the story I'm sticking to!!

Seriously, I don't think we are infested as our dogs are pretty good at alerting us to insect presence in the house - one tends to 'point' out spiders on walls etc - so I think they would react to cockroaches running around!

I have put all foodstuffs in the larder in sealed plastic boxes or jars and make sure crumbs etc are cleared away immediately.

Should I be doing anything else .... I'm reluctant to start spraying the place with anything because of the dogs and our 4 year old son.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't reckon so, and wouldn't suggest you spray the house, get a professional if you need it. They'll come around and send you out for a number of hours, they'll spray the whole place underneath and in the loft and when I've come back I've opened the windows all round, changed the beds and cleaned the kitchen and it's been fine.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 1:57 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

got the post out of the post box just now, three blinkin cockroaches, one fell out and the other two on the paper and letter. YUK YUK YUK
Old Sep 11th 2014, 2:24 am
Just Joined

kiwi white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Moved some stuff into the new house last night and came round this morning to find loads of ants over any food bags I left in the kitchen. they even broke into a bag of bagels so a couple of questions.

Is this normal and how do we combat it? Should everything be in Tupper ware?? where should we store fruit?
Move to Dunedin, it's too cold (allegedly) for any creep crawlies!
Old Sep 11th 2014, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Euuurrrgh they are gross I hate them. I have found the only way is to completely avoid leaving ANY food out ever anywhere. It encourages clean habits at least, my room is way tidier than it'd ever be at home. Don't leave apple cores or fruit peelings in bins that aren't sealed, put away anything sweet and keep your surfaces clean, fly spray kills them and is a good emergency EEEEEWWWWW reducer. They sell bait that will kill nests quite cheap (like $6-7) in Countdown.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smileypigface
OK, so I've been here barely a month and yesterday found a dead cockroach just inside our front door - I've kept my cool about it ... mainly by telling myself that it was a lonesome cockroach who lived alone, had no friends or relatives and just happened to be passing and thought our open front door looked like an invitation to enter and take his dying breath! And that's the story I'm sticking to!!

Seriously, I don't think we are infested as our dogs are pretty good at alerting us to insect presence in the house - one tends to 'point' out spiders on walls etc - so I think they would react to cockroaches running around!

I have put all foodstuffs in the larder in sealed plastic boxes or jars and make sure crumbs etc are cleared away immediately.
You are mostly right, they are usually bush roaches that come in randomly from outdoors and usually are alone but they do have friends and relatives that think nothing of turning up to the party unannounced. They are a more classy breed that the types we usually associate with ming and dirt.

I don't mind so much when I catch them alive, what worries me the most is when I find them dead and then I then worry about how long they have been mooching about without my knowing about it.

Like Mrs Fych found today, they do often hitch a ride inside the newspapers and junk mail - best solution I find is to throw all the papers on the driveway before I bring them indoors.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is what you need: Raid Automatic Advanced Insect Control System

available in all supermarkets and DIY stores.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
This is what you need: Raid Automatic Advanced Insect Control System

available in all supermarkets and DIY stores.
Yes, we got one last summer for the kitchen and living room. Kills the flies etc but not the ants. And a word of warning...make sure it doesn't spray directly on the ceiling...it makes a horrible stain!
Old Sep 11th 2014, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by j19fmm
And a word of warning...make sure it doesn't spray directly on the ceiling...it makes a horrible stain!
Yes, we learned that lesson the hard way too!
Old Sep 11th 2014, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yes, we learned that lesson the hard way too!
It's a bugger
Old Sep 12th 2014, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

'Neverong' is good -put in shallow container across their path - they swarm all over it then go back to the nest and die - the others eat them there killing most off - sometimes takes a day or so but have always found it effective.
Another deterrent is cucumber rubbed across their path if you don't like chemicals but is only temporary measure
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Gambolina is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: ants, apparently if you mix bicarbonate of soda and icing sugar and stick some in their path, they ingest it and it reacts with the formic acid in their stomach, can expel gas and it kills them....they take it back to the nest too, so gets rid of all the blighters! It is a child and pet friendly way to treat rather than using poison....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.