Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in NZ vs OZ

Cost of living in NZ vs OZ

Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in NZ vs OZ

Originally Posted by Kotare
Why would you drink Spanish Cava in NZ given NZ wine? Agree it is probably preferable to a lot of Oz plonk :-)
Sadly, although I seem to live on Marlborough SB I have never really taken to the NZ (or Australian) fizz.

For me, Spanish Cava seems to hit the spot.

Of course, there may well be more expensive fizzy wines which taste wonderful, but my ceiling is around £10 UKP or $20 NZD.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 8:30 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Nowt wrong with Lindauer. It's seen in many a new year here in NZ ! It's the local cheap fizz, also good for celebrating birthdays etc.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Morton Estate and Nautilus fizz is okay but I can't stand Lindauer. Currently buying Veuve de Vernay from New World which is on sale at $15.

I've really gone off NZ wines in the last year, I'm finding them too acidic. Our local bottle shop in Manly sells Muscadet and Chablis and I head to Farros and Nosh for Italian Pinot Grigio. Wish they'd sell Soave & Orvieto as well .

Can't wait for our trip to France and Spain in a 6/7 weeks. Particularly looking forward to our visit to Reims and the Verve Clicquot house/cellars
Old Apr 14th 2016, 11:36 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Morton Estate and Nautilus fizz is okay but I can't stand Lindauer. Currently buying Veuve de Vernay from New World which is on sale at $15.

I've really gone off NZ wines in the last year, I'm finding them too acidic. Our local bottle shop in Manly sells Muscadet and Chablis and I head to Farros and Nosh for Italian Pinot Grigio. Wish they'd sell Soave & Orvieto as well .

Can't wait for our trip to France and Spain in a 6/7 weeks. Particularly looking forward to our visit to Reims and the Verve Clicquot house/cellars

Sounds fab. We went to Reims for a milestone birthday of mine a few years ago. We toured three champagne houses, had champagne with lunch, it was a great day !

By the evening all I wanted was steak & pommes frites (chips). Delightful. I remember the little carousel/bobbin horses at Reims that was there, 'just because.'

The gargoyles on Reims cathedral are hilarious ! I purchased a miniature one as a fridge magnet. Oh well, little things please little minds !

Old Apr 15th 2016, 12:36 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Not clear about exactly what question you are asking but I just spent 3 weeks in NZ at Easter and found most things very expensive compared to Aus.

eg... Petrol twice as much in NZ, fruit and veg up to 7 times as much in NZ, take away pizza twice as much in NZ.

Ice cream was cheaper in NZ as were cinema tickets.

HTH

BB
Having just moved to Oz from NZ I don't share this at all. I agree that groceries are marginally cheaper than in NZ and that the range is considerably better but "up to 7 times as much" is just nonsense unless you are comparing a very specific product at its cheapest in Oz and dearest in NZ, which is just misleading. Petrol is cheaper here but not half the price of NZ!

Groceries I find actually cheaper in Oz: eco cleaning products, proper cheese, Australian tropical fruit (tho the pineapples are not as delicious as those you buy in NZ), healthy vegetarian small goods such as macro chick pea burgers, decent real yoghurt, and anything that is likely to be wanted in large volumes by non-UK immigrants such as proper feta (i.e. not bok made from cow milk), enormous jars of non-pitted kalamata olives, haloumi, hummus, etc., as well as imported chocolate , decent ice cream. Australian grocery shopping suits me better because the range is greater, especially at the more wholefood and deli ends of the market. We had to buy an enormous fridge

If I went back to NZ and tried to buy what I am buying here in a tourist mindset I would find it very expensive but that's not a fair comparison. I shopped from a local fruit and veg shop in Cambridge in NZ and it was noticeably cheaper than any similar shop I have yet to find here, especially for 'basic' fruit and veg, herbs and spices and pulses. Tomatoes are cheaper in NZ (watch this kick off a debate ...).

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Most Australians don't buy fruit and veg from supermarkets, as they are so expensive.

My observation was based on my local greengrocer in Melbourne vs New World in the South Island of NZ.

Pears here are currently 99c/kilo. They were $7.99 in New World. That's 8 times as much!

BB
Most Kiwis don't either. Local well-known to you greengrocer in your home city compared with New World somewhere tourist-y on the South Island is not a fair comparison at all.

Last edited by bourbon-biscuit; Apr 15th 2016 at 12:40 am.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 1:41 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to bear in mind that when you shop locally you go to the places you feel are best value for money. If you are on the tourist trail you don't have that option and buy what is to hand.

There are four petrol stations in my town. The two on the main road are the most expensive. Locals tend to use the two on side roads which are cheaper, sometimes significantly.

I'm certainly not saying things are cheap here, but you have to be prepared to shop intelligently.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 1:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Tomatoes are cheaper in NZ (watch this kick off a debate ...).

Argh ! Please. Not the tomato thing.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 4:27 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
On the vine tomatoes drop to $2.99 a kilo when in season in Cambridge. On super special they can go as low as $1.99.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
Someone just had to start it, didn't they ? It's not even July/August when the price of fresh tomatoes are a sight to behold !
Old Apr 15th 2016, 4:32 am
---

Old Apr 15th 2016, 4:40 am

$7.19/kg fresh tomatoes from Pak N Save today. Reporting from the supermarket front line.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Ok but I feel people are missing the point in that aren't OZ wages so much higher than NZ? I wonder how the cost of the living is so similar yet wages are so high on OZ?
Old Apr 15th 2016, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently moved to Australia (Melbourne) after 8 years in NZ (Wellington). In my experience of job hunting so far, salaries/daily rates for my line of work (IT) are lower than NZ and I am facing the same issues of no local experience!

The worst thing in both countries is when they ask your salary expectation and you don't want to price yourself out of the running. I've been told that there are a lot of Indian IT job hunters who are offering to take low salaries so this is bringing the rates down for everyone.

I'm also finding recruitment agencies to be full of hot air - put you forward for great roles but suddenly the jobs no longer exist, already filled, put on hold, yada yada...

My biggest shock this week was the cost of a VICTORIA state driving licence: $NZ 11.10 to get a 'Certificate of Particulars' from NZTA (just presenting the NZ full licence isn't enough evidence); $AU 17.40 to make an appointment at VICRoads to complete paperwork/have photo taken; either $AU 76 for 3 year licence or $AU 260.40 for a 10 year licence.
I've just checked NZTA and to swap an international licence to a NZ one will only cost $NZ 52.10 (and it's valid for 10 years).

Last edited by cappuccino; Apr 15th 2016 at 8:11 am.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
Ok but I feel people are missing the point in that aren't OZ wages so much higher than NZ? I wonder how the cost of the living is so similar yet wages are so high on OZ?

What do you mean with cost of living? In general both Australia and New Zealand are expensive but I wouldn't say that wages are so much higher in Australia and it's down to the individual. I doubt the shop assistant in Sydney is financially better off than the shop assistant in Invercargill and vice versa. It just depends how you want to live. I live in Ireland and it's always considered more expensive than the UK, but financially I'm far better off here.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
$7.19/kg fresh tomatoes from Pak N Save today. Reporting from the supermarket front line.
In latest breaking news they were asking $5.29 for teeny punnet of cherry tomatoes tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.