Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The cost of Living in NZ?

The cost of Living in NZ?

Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:12 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cost of Living in NZ?

Originally Posted by ronanz
......It is the pound that is stuffed basically! So I think the current perception that NZ is expensive is in correct. It's simply an exchange rate issue. My 2 pennies worth anyway! Rona
Can't agree - it's more to do with how your Kiwi $$$ earned doing work have far less purchasing power than they did even 12 months ago. If the NZ$ is so strong then why don't we get great deals on imported goods? Because the retailers can't go with volumes as the lower paid here are really really struggling to make ends meet. So there are fewer customers for high end consumer durables and so the margins have to be higher. So profits are taken there. However, in spite of this strong NZ$ the GST hike has hit everyone when it comes to groceries.
Heard an economist today suggest that the move from income tax to sales tax has been good for the economy as it has allowed higher earners to invest more in "productive savings", shares, banks. Mmmm......try telling that to those who are in poverty. Bet they feel good that income has been redistributed upwards. Maybe they'll feel some trickle-down, like they are in the US (not).
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Can't agree - it's more to do with how your Kiwi $$$ earned doing work have far less purchasing power than they did even 12 months ago. If the NZ$ is so strong then why don't we get great deals on imported goods? Because the retailers can't go with volumes as the lower paid here are really really struggling to make ends meet. So there are fewer customers for high end consumer durables and so the margins have to be higher. So profits are taken there. However, in spite of this strong NZ$ the GST hike has hit everyone when it comes to groceries.
Heard an economist today suggest that the move from income tax to sales tax has been good for the economy as it has allowed higher earners to invest more in "productive savings", shares, banks. Mmmm......try telling that to those who are in poverty. Bet they feel good that income has been redistributed upwards. Maybe they'll feel some trickle-down, like they are in the US (not).
Totally agree, generally the high cost of living has nothing to do with the weak pound (unless you have JUST arrived and are shocked by the 2 for 1, less in fact, when most hope for 2.5 for one!!) we spend only kiwi $s earned here and life in NZ has never been more expensive in the nigh on 7 years we have been here.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Ok: so NZD is strong because country is stuffed, GBP is weak because they're really going places...
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:27 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DC10
Ok: so NZD is strong because country is stuffed, GBP is weak because they're really going places...
NZD is not strong, it is over valued.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
Its both. The NZD is one of the top 10 currencies traded on earth. We have relatively high interest rates at 2.5% we currently are one of the better performing countries globally and the kiwi IS also over valued by probably 20%ish %? The pound by contrast is shite because the UK is so stuffed at the moment and there is little to attract money into the Uk at a 0.5% OCR. I also wonder if the pound is probably a wee bit undervalued, not much but little bit maybe.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

SparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really nice

Yes it's amazing how many hospital visits and doctors visits are a result of an ...ahem ..'accident'

All in all I would agree, try it for 2 years, you might like it

We love it....others don't, it's a personal thing, but town and cities vary greatly.
If at first you dont settle, try some other town.
Tauranga is the place for me, laid back, friendly, with just enough going on.
There are many comparisons, if you like London and the city life, you will go stir crazy outside of Auckland I think.

South Island is much, much quieter than the north (as my friends there assure me).
If you want to settle here, I think you will make it work and find what you are looking for, but you have to be prepared to adapt....every day is an adventure.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:30 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it you all watched Close Up on One this evening.
4 people took an identical shopping list of essentials like bread, milk etc into supermarkets in Auckland, Sydney, London and New York, and they hunted for the cheapest of each item.
London narrowly came out the cheapest, then Auckland, then Sydney, then New York.
Then they had an economist on and he said that the wage vs cost of living equation came out best in Australia, of the 4 countries, England and NZ were roughly the same and the bottom was the US.

There we have it. It's what I've been saying all along. The Cost of Living in NZ is not vastly different to any other comparable country.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:35 am

If you asked an international investor why he is investing in NZ dollars, he will tell you that it is because NZ is seen as a safe haven, economically. That's what they say. Whether they are right is another story. But the sum of these investors are pretty clued up people.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:27 am

I think I'm coming across as very defensive about NZ ... never mind. I can't help sticking my oar (ore/awe) in. Blame my upbringing.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

welshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nice

Hi waikato guy ,
You should post that info on the thread titled nz so expensive....... although IMO it still won't shut the constant moaners up
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
There we have it. It's what I've been saying all along. The Cost of Living in NZ is not vastly different to any other comparable country.
Yes, you are absolutely right, and all the people who are leaving NZ are wrong.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:10 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you are absolutely right, and all the people who are leaving NZ are wrong.
Ah, nothing like polarizing the debate to increase the interest
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
I take it you all watched Close Up on One this evening.
4 people took an identical shopping list of essentials like bread, milk etc into supermarkets in Auckland, Sydney, London and New York, and they hunted for the cheapest of each item.
London narrowly came out the cheapest, then Auckland, then Sydney, then New York.
Then they had an economist on and he said that the wage vs cost of living equation came out best in Australia, of the 4 countries, England and NZ were roughly the same and the bottom was the US.

The Close Up shopping list was poor. It would have helped if they were comparing like with like, but they didn't. Instead they got Countdown's own brand or Cornflakes in NZ, and in London were shopping at Sainsburys (which from experience is the more expensive the UK's big 4) and got Kellogs Cornflakes.

It was no surprise that UK would be cheaper than NZ, I'd expect the like for like to be much cheaper. However in UK food is VAT free, where as in NZ it's at 15% GST.
I happen to think food ought to be GST free in NZ, but Labour's policy of 0% GST on fresh fruit & veg is just half way house.

Re: NZ$'s strength, and it is comparatively ought to lead to cheaper prices of imported goods but there's ot a great of evidence of it.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Ah, nothing like polarizing the debate to increase the interest
A debate requires opposing views, otherwise it is not a debate. Sleep on.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:55 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Now that this has descended into the usual

ex-pat Kiwis or ex-OE Kiwis
and
those who feel they have to justify being here/coming here/returning here
and
spouses of Kiwis
- v -
some British ex-Pats who live in NZ and are struggling along

then it's time to walk away or order pizza and watch the thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.