Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

cost of having a cat?

cost of having a cat?

Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:22 am
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light
Question cost of having a cat?

can anyone tell me how much they pay in NZ (chch if poss) to have a cat...

spade
injections
microchipped
etc etc

and if you live in chch any vet recommendations
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:57 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of having a cat?

We have a dog, yes I know not the same animal but thought this might help:

to get him fixed: starts at $140 up to $220 (depending on weight)
microchip: $40
vaccinations: $63 each (need 3 lots)
Registration at coucil: around $25-30
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 11ThousandMilesFromHome

spade
injections
microchipped
etc etc

Haha! We just bought a cat last week and have suffered the same ignorance We got ours from Auckland cat rescue so she was already desexed, deflead and wormed! To have them de-sexed it can be around $75 the lady told me, not sure if that's in Auckland only but worth ringing around a few vets to find out. The ACR told us that the earlier you have them de-sexed, the cheaper some vets are - an incentive to have them done sooner rather than later. Other than that I'm clueless until she has her next injection next year as she'd already had those done too!

Good Luck
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:58 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Our cat cost us $50 when he ate through a printer cable.

But I guess they weren't the costs you were thinking of....
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:02 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah our cat cost us $300 last week when she got bitten by a dog

She's okay now though.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:57 am
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

This cat is apparently a house cat and has NEVER been outside...the nurse at the vets still said i need to get her vaccinated though...hope she's not just saying that to get my money out of me

thanks for all your input
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Awww Mandie I am allergic to cats!!!!!!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:35 am
aka Mandie.H

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Awww Mandie I am allergic to cats!!!!!!
I'll decatify the house....you can't keep away, my sanity won't allow it
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Aww bless!!! Bet the girls are pleased to have a puddy!!!!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:58 am
aka Mandie.H

yeah poppy was really pleased but now she's moaning cos it's not a dog!!!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Tell her she can share Milly when shes up here as Milly loves her!!!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 11ThousandMilesFromHome

spade
injections
microchipped
etc etc

What are you going to do with the spade?.......
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

It really is worth ringing around all your local vets for the injections and neutering - they will differ wildly. Rule of thumb seems to be that the poorer the area, the cheaper the costs.

Here's a tip for the microchipping too... try your local animal welfare shelters or council pound - ours is currently offering $10 microchipping with every new dog registration, but usually offers it at $20. Our vet charges $50 for the same thing!

A cat doesn't need to be microchipped or registered, but a new puppy must be by law by 3 months of age.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

Hi Mandie, how you doing. I can recommend Hyde Park vets in Withells rd. Took our Bonnie there when we were in Chch. Injections roughly $30ish (each) they need 2 then booster once a year there after, spayed $130ish, then you have to add on worming and flea-ing. Try to get the cat on dry food, any where between $5 - $15 bag depending on which brand you go for. I think dry is much better than having half open tins or packets lying around. Hope you all doing good.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

I've just responded to 'crying' at the back door... Tinkerbell (our cat) was whimpering as we have to keep her in for a while yet. I snook out to watch what she was doing and next doors tiger sized cat was there outside the glass door. I thought they were 'chatting' but Tinkerbell was warning the other cat then they proceeded to attack each other at the glass She was hissing and pouncing like crazy! Oh dear - looks like I'm going to have to watch them like a hawk now

She came back in as loving as before and curled up like nothing had happened Not like her mum who can hold a grudge