Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of (and experiences) shipping UK to NZ.

Cost of (and experiences) shipping UK to NZ.

Old Feb 10th 2014, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

JerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to all
Default Re: Cost of (and experiences) shipping UK to NZ.

I rang Letton Percival last week and their rate for NZ is only 1.3% which is a lot better than I expected. Got a good feeling talking to them on the phone as well, now we've just got to work out the cost to replace new for old in NZ.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

LozBeth is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll definitely been using Percivals then!

I've based my replacement cost on flying back home to re purchase and sending a container over with it Not taking any chances, I've seen some pretty awful sofas in the houses on trade me!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

I can speak from experience that White & Co were very good, and their affiliate in Wellington were excellent. We did get our insurance through Letton Percival though. They were brilliant (we had a claim to make) and much cheaper than the insurance quote from White's. Happy moving.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

c_wal10 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have used John Mason for our excess baggage and a friend used them for a container. They are really good and helpful. Plus they are cheaper an PSS
Old Feb 27th 2014, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

LozBeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok update, I spoke to a friend who moved to the US last year and she told me to speak to Doree Bonner as they fitted her belongings into a 20 foot when everyone else quoted her a 40 foot. Apparently they are great Jenga packers

Anyway they came out today and said I was slightly over 40 foot (after cutting back on quite a few of my belongings). So they said with the items over I can pay £7 per cubic foot for a separate shipment so I could send non essential items that way

Works out I can now slash my moving cost down considerably and the additional things I might want to take I can calculate whether it's worthwhile on a case by case basis (ie second sofa will cost £42 so worth it!).

I'll share new costs as I get them, has to be cheaper than £6k!
Old Feb 27th 2014, 6:22 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi . Has anyone tried Conroys? Im shipping from NZ to UK in a couple of months time. Conroys have been great with me. They have shown me ways of cutting costs down and ways to pack better to gain more space. I think they are worth a try. They came out the cheapest too.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

JerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to all

I've gone with Pickfords, same company both ends and the cheapest quote, plus they were the only ones to follow up the quote with a phone call to see what I thought about it. For a door to door service including packing and un-packing as required a 20' container was £3900.

For insurance I've gone with Letton Percival, they were very good on the phone and their rate of 1.3% to NZ which includes 1 month storage at destination (if required) was the best I've seen. The valuation forms are also a lot simpler to fill out and any questions I had were easily answered with a quick phone call.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Conroys came this morning, they were brilliant. Packed our stuff really well, definitely recommend.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Conroys came this morning, they were brilliant. Packed our stuff really well, definitely recommend.
Nice day for it. You off then? Sell the car yet?
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

yes, been a beautiful few days. trying to make the most of the weather before we disappear. been off all week recovering from having my 4 wisdom teeth out. been a sore time,but in small doses, getting stuff done. so today our stuff has been shipped.

next weekend we move into furnished accommodation into the cbd for a few months until we go home. plan is to get the difficult stuff out of the way, then enjoy the last few months of our time here before we go.

hard bits are selling the last of our stuff, i.e. car and sofa (all on trademe). trademe itself has been hard work with fees and thenbuyers not wanting to get it after theyve won it etc. overall its been good though. really looking forward to some simple living in the city and a 5 minute walk to work!

thanks for asking btw, how goes it for you?
Old Feb 28th 2014, 6:28 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

pleased things are finally starting to move for you Davros. you're new journey will begin.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

next weekend we move into furnished accommodation into the cbd for a few months until we go home. plan is to get the difficult stuff out of the way, then enjoy the last few months of our time here before we go.
Where about in the CBD?

I'm in Freemans Bay (about a 12 minute walk from the Sky Tower) if you fancy a catch up before you depart?

I haven't always agreed with you but I'd like to buy you a beer or coffee for stimulating some tenacious but salient debate on here. It's been thought provoking and useful to hear. We're of a similar age so a lot of what you've said has resonated with me whether I've agreed with it, or not.

Anyway, up to you.

Apologies for the hijack ...
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

no apology needed! thanks for the offer - lets do it.

i will be on hobson street, sounds ideal. we are really looking forward to living in the city having always lived on the shore.

thanks for the comments, as you may have noticed i enjoy the debates as well, so might have to buy you one back!

cheers.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

no apology needed! thanks for the offer - lets do it.

i will be on hobson street, sounds ideal. we are really looking forward to living in the city having always lived on the shore.

thanks for the comments, as you may have noticed i enjoy the debates as well, so might have to buy you one back!

cheers.
Good stuff.

I'm pretty much just the other side of the SH1/SH16 intersection from Hobson St.

I'll pop you my digits by way of a PM and when you've got your bearings drop me a line.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 8:50 am
Just Joined

ringostarr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JerseyMatt
Hi everyone,

I know there's a few other threads not his but nothing too recent. I'm hoping there's someone on here who has/or is doing a similar move.

I've just had a couple of quotes for shipping our worldly goods door to door using a 20' container from Jersey to Christchurch. We have got quotes from Pickfords and White & Co.( who use NZ van lines) and there was quite a vast difference in cost with Pickfords coming out cheapest.

What are people's experiences with these companies? There's even a difference in the standard rate for insurance 2.5% vs. 3%.

We are somewhat limited to choice over here and friends of ours did not have a good experience with Phillips.

Cheers
JerseyMatt
just flicking through and saw your post. bring all your gear except telly. deffo cheaper in the long run to ship it all out versus buying again. by the time you give everything away on ebay back home for next to nothing. We brought all our stuff out, got to clean all your bikes and boots and fishing gear off beforehand. we took the dog too. left the kitchen sink sadly, Na ive known a few people who have given away most of their stuff for a song back home only to spend a whole load more than what the shipping costs was to re-supply

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.