Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coromandel, Hahei and Leadfoot Festival

Coromandel, Hahei and Leadfoot Festival

Old Jan 25th 2015, 9:37 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coromandel, Hahei and Leadfoot Festival

I do a little writing for a car enthusiast website and forum that a friend has set up, based in Wellington.
The owner got a press pass for the Leadfoot Festival that's near Hahei 6th to 8th of Feb. He can't make it so I'm going instead!

Leadfoot Ranch

This event is on my car event bucket list so I'm rather excited to be going.

He has also arranged me a shiny new car to pick up in Auckland for a road test review.

So I'll be driving from Auckland to Thames, up around the Coromandel Peninsula and camping about 10km out of Hahei (tight budget for the trip!).

Does anyone have any suggestions of places I should stop along the way, interesting things to see? Most of the weekend will be spent at the festival looking and listening to race cars but I can't resist some sight-seeing too!
Old Jan 25th 2015, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coromandel, Hahei and Leadfoot Festival

Slightly longer drive following state highway 2 through Paeroa and stop at the K Gorge.

When going through Waihi turn left at the central roundabout and view the open cut mine

Then follow state highway 25 north through Whangamata (surf town, with a nice vibe)

Pauanui Used to fly in central airfield parking your plane at rear of house, with front of house facing the sea. Canal estate now built I understand.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 10:27 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Added to itinerary, thanks!
Old Jan 26th 2015, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the Coromandel

Have you been there before? Hahei is a beautiful beach, calm water, good for swimming and snorkelling. You go also go kayaking from there.

Cathedral Cove is close by and beautiful (about a 30 min walk from car park).

Hot Water Beach where you can dig your own natural hot water spa on the beach (only for an hour or so either side of low tide. Can get busy).

If you drive up a hill in Tairua called Paku there is a short walk (10 mins?) to the top of the hill with stunning views of the coastline and Coromandel.

We had such a great holiday there we have booked to go back in a couple of months. Has some stunning areas.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 12:38 am
Happy in Wellington

Haven't been up there since driving from Auckland to Coromandel town then to Rotovegas in 2002.

We went up the West coast and back the same way, I think it was partly gravel road past Coromandel then and we didn't want to risk it in the campervan
Old Jan 26th 2015, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

West coast Coromandel has some nice bits but east coast has some stunning beaches - white sand and clear blue water. Look at Google images for Hahei and Cathedral Cove. Gorgeous.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
The owner got a press pass for the Leadfoot Festival that's near Hahei 6th to 8th of Feb. He can't make it so I'm going instead!

He has also arranged me a shiny new car to pick up in Auckland for a road test review.

So I'll be driving from Auckland to Thames, up around the Coromandel Peninsula and camping about 10km out of Hahei (tight budget for the trip!).
You might not have too much time to 'dilly dally' - allow plenty of time for traffic, depending what time and where you're picking the car up - the Friday is Waitangi Day so all roads out of Auckland will be chocka and coming back into Auckland is likely to be a car park on the Sunday .
Old Jan 26th 2015, 6:18 am
Happy in Wellington

I'll be driving out of Auckland on Thursday and back Monday so I'm hoping to miss the worst of the traffic.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Are you staying at the campsite with the Craft Brewery attached? If not, the brewery is worth a look - I think it is near the main turn off towards Hahei and Hot Water Beach. Also down that area is a fabulous bohemian winery that does wood fired oven pizzas - name starts with P (not the big fancy one a couple of kms further down the road to Cooks Beach).
Old Jan 26th 2015, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We were also up there last week. The only place I've ever seen a park and ride bus system in NZ for getting to the start of the walk to Cathedral Cove We tried the water taxi from Hahei instead where we could park easily, but resisted the $90 for 4 of us....

Beautiful, but busy by NZ standards with slow winding roads.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Purangi winery?
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

We did a drive and stopped at various beaches and viewing points that made us go, "wow"! If you like silly stuff we had a brilliant couple of hours at The Waterworks laughing ourselves daft and admiring the ingenuity and humour. We also loved the Driving Creek Railway, lots of oohing and aaahing at the track infrastructure and engineering on the train's bogies.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
Purangi winery?
That's the one. It was a highlight of our recent Coromandel visit. I also enjoyed revisiting Hahei - it was one of our first beach holidays when we moved here 10+ years ago. An awesome beach.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:01 pm
Happy in Wellington

Oh man what a weekend! Great drives, great car (Mini!), awesome car event, beautiful scenery. Happy to be back with the family.

1250 photos to sort out

Talk about fresh herbs on your pizza!!

Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:01 pm
Happy in Wellington

Hahei Beach

Hot Water Beach

Many more to process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.