British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Concessions for pensioners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/concessions-pensioners-661085/)

elaine99 Mar 25th 2010 7:12 am

Concessions for pensioners

I'm a pensioner, presently enjoying the perks of various concessions such as free bus fares, cheaper hair cuts, free prescriptions, free eye test every 2 years, cheaper meals in some restaurants etc.
Can anyone please tell me if this happens in New Zealand and if so what concessions there are, as every penny will count when I'm on a frozen British State Pension?

BEVS Mar 25th 2010 7:21 am

Re: Concessions for pensioners

I know what you mean . The idea of a frozen state pension freezes the socks off of me & I did 35 yrs of full time work..:scaredhair:

Let's start with Grey Power. Far too much preamble for me but for a sub, they offer discounts.

pricklykina Mar 25th 2010 7:46 am

Check out the super gold card
Free off peak travel in some areas I think
Super Gold Card

elaine99 Mar 27th 2010 3:30 pm

Thankyou both for two very helpful links.
I've now met the weight and colesterol criteria required by immigration so am hoping it won't take too long now as I first applied in Oct 2008 and can't wait to be with my son and grandchildren.

Stormer999 Mar 27th 2010 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by elaine99 (Post 8447069)
I'm a pensioner, presently enjoying the perks of various concessions such as free bus fares, cheaper hair cuts, free prescriptions, free eye test every 2 years, cheaper meals in some restaurants etc.
Can anyone please tell me if this happens in New Zealand and if so what concessions there are, as every penny will count when I'm on a frozen British State Pension?

But won't the fact that you are recieving £UK in $NZ increase your pension value?

elaine99 Mar 27th 2010 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 8453364)
But won't the fact that you are recieving £UK in $NZ increase your pension value?

At the present rate of exchange I don't think so. I have a very small private pension but the providers are not willing to pay it in NZ dollars so I will need to transfer it by bank transfer which will cost approx £20 per transaction. I will also have to pay for regular prescriptions/doctors visits in NZ which I don't pay for now now.

dorrick Mar 28th 2010 1:40 am

Think you can transfer to yourself using Paypal , which would be a cheaper rate - others here can probably clarify,we use it to send money to daughter in Uk but can't remember the rate.

mickey_d Mar 28th 2010 1:52 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8447090)
I know what you mean . The idea of a frozen state pension freezes the socks off of me & I did 35 yrs of full time work..:scaredhair:

Let's start with Grey Power. Far too much preamble for me but for a sub, they offer discounts.

Can you not "opt out" to a private pension transfer it & start topping it up.
I opted out in 1988, then told in 2005 I was probably going to be 4 quid a week worse off than if I hadn't, but now having left the UK I can top it up at leisure & at least get the full whack:thumbup:.

elaine99 Mar 28th 2010 10:52 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 8454062)
I opted out in 1988, then told in 2005 I was probably going to be 4 quid a week worse off than if I hadn't, but now having left the UK I can top it up at leisure & at least get the full whack:thumbup:.

Well I was only in the scheme for this particular pension for a short while and it is a very small one and is paid quarterly so I expect they felt it wasn't worth the cost to them of transferriing it.
I will certainly look into transferring it to my other small one though.

BEVS Mar 29th 2010 1:23 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 8454062)

I'm confused. Do you mean me and my UK state pension Mickey?

Originally Posted by Stormer999

No.