Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coming to the Sunny Bay of Plenty

Coming to the Sunny Bay of Plenty

Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of
Default Coming to the Sunny Bay of Plenty

well having lived in Blenheim for the past 8 years I am making a move to Tauranga. Job at the hospital starts early December. Flew up last weekend and purchased a house in Welcome Bay. Un conditional in 3 days lol....

Anyone here from the area got any tips on life in general, best coffee shops, markets etc. keen to get my social life back up to speed and hopeful that area more cosmopolitan than little old Blenheim lol
Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default Re: Coming to the Sunny Bay of Plenty

You'll not be far from Rotorua, so loads of coffee houses and take-aways on offer there/here. A very small Thursday night market in central Rotorua offering the usual fruit and veg. I'm pretty sure Tauranga has everything you'll need though and more.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

suza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi my husband starts his job in Tauranga in January.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frenchy
well having lived in Blenheim for the past 8 years I am making a move to Tauranga. Job at the hospital starts early December. Flew up last weekend and purchased a house in Welcome Bay. Un conditional in 3 days lol....

Anyone here from the area got any tips on life in general, best coffee shops, markets etc. keen to get my social life back up to speed and hopeful that area more cosmopolitan than little old Blenheim lol
Moving to Bethlehem, Tauranga in 21 sleeps Been in Wellington since we arrived in March 2012 but wanna be close to Mt. Maunganui
My wife's currently a practice nurse but is very much missing hospital life. She was a sister in ICU for 14 years and misses it like mad, so she may look in to working at the hosp ?
Don't really know much about Welcome Bay. Had a drive around and that's about it. We decided it was too far from the Mt. and too far for me to drive to work (near Hamilton airport) so looked to be closer to both which is why we've picked Bethlehem.
I know Columbus Coffee is great on the Bethlehem shopping precinct and so is the pub for food & drink there. Otherwise my experience is at the Mt.
Love Zambezi café/coffee shop on Maunganui Road and being English you must try Fishbox junction Rata St and Maunganui Rd (on the roundabout). He's a guy from Leeds and has gravy, mushy peas, curry sauce etc and it's defo the best f & c I've had from any takeaway in NZ
Old Oct 18th 2014, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Next time I'm there I'll give it a try https://www.facebook.com/fishboxtauranga
Old Oct 18th 2014, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness me, you took your time.
I really hope it all works out for you and it turns out to be everything you're hoping it will be.
Let me know when you are planning to make the move, I'll drop you a line next time I've got my spazzy dog over
there for a run on the beach, you can treat me to a coffee
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Thanks Col. I will be up there from 22nd November, be great to see you and the spazz dog lol
Old Oct 20th 2014, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
We decided it was too far from the Mt. and too far for me to drive to work (near Hamilton airport) so looked to be closer to both which is why we've picked Bethlehem.
WOW, that's a long commute??
Old Oct 21st 2014, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
WOW, that's a long commute??
Yes it is, around 100km each way, thats a lot of gas and a lot of cash just to get to work.

escapedtonz, you might want to consider turning left and heading towards Te Awamutu at the roundabout on SH1
then turning right on to Kaipaki road towards the airport.
SH1 through Cambridge can get pretty congested in the mornings so the other route might shorten the time if not the distance
Old Oct 21st 2014, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's a longish commute. I used to commute 40 miles in the UK so this is only half as far again. I have a colleague who lives at the Mt. and has done a slightly longer commute for many years. It's 99KM from the house to work and I'll be doing it by car or when the weather is fine Bike!
Sure I'll be fine.
The TA option is another 35km's and 29 minutes so won't be going that way in a hurry.
SH1 through Cambridge will be fine for me. I only work Days and Nights 12 hours, so when I'm working a Day I start at 06:15 so I'll be leaving around 04:50 and doubt there'll be much traffic on the road then.
On Nights, the plan is to only do the commute once each way and stop over in Hamilton in between. I'll start at 18:15 so will be leaving around 16:30, but doubt the traffic will be bad for me on SH29 or through Cambridge. I'm assuming the traffic will be going the other way.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
The TA option is another 35km's and 29 minutes so won't be going that way in a hurry.
Think you might have got my suggestion mixed up, the route to the airport through Leamington is shorter than the SH1 option
but at the times your travelling it wont make a difference.
Keep to the left when going over the Kaimais, Kiwis think nothing of crossing a solid yellow line and passing a truck around a blind l/h bend.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Whakatane is nice for a visit
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

or just carry on along the coast road if you get a weekend off, its very peaceful and remote in places.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

JackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the rough

Hi, Well just to say that we are relocating to Welcome Bay from Snells Beach, which is 50k north of Auckland. We move next week 1st November, we may not be in the same age bracket but we can certainly maybe help each other. We don't know anyone also and would like to meet other folk with good sense of humour. This will be our 7th move since coming to NZ in 2008....so we are hoping the BOP will be the place to stay. I like badminton and would like to know if there are any good places to play and meet other like minded people. My hubby and I are in late 50s.........any suggestions.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello
we are in the same age bracket and my place is in Welcome Bay. Move in on 22nd November. Sorry cant help with sports facilities but there will be loads. I have sent pm with my mobile number

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.