Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coming to NZ To Teach? Read This.

Coming to NZ To Teach? Read This.

Old Oct 1st 2013, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coming to NZ To Teach? Read This.

Intended as a warning, not the start of a negative thread.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11133159
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming to NZ To Teach? Read This.

I do believe that teachers have been taken off the essential skills shortage list, however special needs teachers remain on there, at the moment.

I am a teacher in NZ. I have come to realise that changing jobs won't be as easy as I thought. There just isn't any, and people stay in their posts for a long time, not chop and change like UK teachers tend to.

Still, at least I have a job.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

You're right about people staying in jobs for a long time. Two teachers at our local school had been there for 25 and well over 30 years. Both retired and then hey presto were back job sharing the next term.

I've given up trying to get something here. Have started to apply back in UK but would only be recognised as untrained. Still feel bitter that the uni told us they had an 85% success rate for graduates getting jobs when that is clearly not true. (unless you know someone!)

Oh well onwards and upwards.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

stumilburn is an unknown quantity at this point

In the UK a 100 plus applicants are going for some teaching jobs too. In my old school and others I know there were a lot of teacher assistants who were qualified teachers but couldn't get a job. I do supply teaching now. Schools are businesses over here and jump to the beat of inspectors rather than serving the community. Less child orientated and all data, data, data. I hope NZ doesn't go the same way... but I think it is. I was offered a job in Dec 2012 in Manurewa but the missus didn't fancy it. A supply agency in Wellington has been in touch since and says there are jobs for experienced teachers as much of the NZ workforce lacks the experience. But I think I ve missed the boat now... and the cost of living and house prices has put me off a bit. All schools have to prove that there are no NZ residents appropriate for the job before an oversees teacher can be appointed. And as the link suggests there are lots of NZ teachers looking for jobs. Unless you have an outstanding CV and have top level management experience, forget it.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

stumilburn is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to have 3 years teaching experience choccy, get all your qualifications verified with NZQA and then get a provisional NZ teaching certificate. Mine expires 2015 but I probably wont even get over there to teach. Best route is with supply agency and getting your face known. Hard for me to do that with a young family though.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Gill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to behold

I've had a really positive experience on the work front. I arrived in NZ at the start of July, immediately called up a few local schools and arranged meetings with the principals to get on their supply lists, got chatting to people at every social event I went to - who then subsequently introduced me to teachers they knew, which I then followed up on and got my name down on supply lists at their schools too. Within 10 days of being in the country, I had my first day of supply teaching. Over the following 2 weeks I worked 3 days a week. Then one of the principals offered me a 0.1 position (only one guaranteed day per fortnight, but it was a start!). A week later, and I was working 4 days a week for this one school, with other odd days at a few otheg schools and it's continued since then (and seems likely to continue). The principal of my 0.1 contract school (where I'm doing most of my supply work) has also suggested that she may have a 6 month contract for me, starting in January, which could then lead onto longer term and even more permanent work. I'm situated in New Plymouth...so it's perhaps a bit different to the bigger cities...but I am thoroughly enjoying it!
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stumilburn
In the UK a 100 plus applicants are going for some teaching jobs too. In my old school and others I know there were a lot of teacher assistants who were qualified teachers but couldn't get a job. I do supply teaching now. Schools are businesses over here and jump to the beat of inspectors rather than serving the community. Less child orientated and all data, data, data. I hope NZ doesn't go the same way... but I think it is. I was offered a job in Dec 2012 in Manurewa but the missus didn't fancy it. A supply agency in Wellington has been in touch since and says there are jobs for experienced teachers as much of the NZ workforce lacks the experience. But I think I ve missed the boat now... and the cost of living and house prices has put me off a bit. All schools have to prove that there are no NZ residents appropriate for the job before an oversees teacher can be appointed. And as the link suggests there are lots of NZ teachers looking for jobs. Unless you have an outstanding CV and have top level management experience, forget it.
This would only apply if you needed the job to get a Visa, I am on a work Visa off the back of my partners LTBV and I have had no problems getting teaching work in Primary schools. Like Gill84 I went to every Primary in my 30 minute radius with my CV and introduced myself. I had 3 days at 3 different schools straight away. I was then offered 3 weeks straight at the local Private primary and was also offered 4 days a week until Christmas at another school. This school was willing to wait for me as they said they had plenty applicants but not one with my experience.
Yes, it gets to be who you know, but UK schools are just the same. I have found the Principals to be very friendly and they seem to care a lot about their school.
It's a very different experience working here though!
Old Oct 6th 2013, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stumilburn
I can tell you from experience, that NZ is already well on the road down statistics pushing priorities.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gill84
I've had a really positive experience on the work front. I arrived in NZ at the start of July, immediately called up a few local schools and arranged meetings with the principals to get on their supply lists, got chatting to people at every social event I went to - who then subsequently introduced me to teachers they knew, which I then followed up on and got my name down on supply lists at their schools too. Within 10 days of being in the country, I had my first day of supply teaching. Over the following 2 weeks I worked 3 days a week. Then one of the principals offered me a 0.1 position (only one guaranteed day per fortnight, but it was a start!). A week later, and I was working 4 days a week for this one school, with other odd days at a few otheg schools and it's continued since then (and seems likely to continue). The principal of my 0.1 contract school (where I'm doing most of my supply work) has also suggested that she may have a 6 month contract for me, starting in January, which could then lead onto longer term and even more permanent work. I'm situated in New Plymouth...so it's perhaps a bit different to the bigger cities...but I am thoroughly enjoying it!
You did it right, here in NZ jobs are only advertised as a last resort. Most posts are filled way before that. Well done you.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Hi everyone

I've also had a positive experience just to balance things out, with relief work leading to a year's contract.

Funnily enough, like Gill, I'm also in New Plymouth. Sounds like Naki is the place to be!

HeatherGirl
Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely not as easy to get into as it once was! Back in the 90's I was often the only applicant for Technology jobs in the UK and could take my pick. I was offered 2 jobs in one day once and the first interview I ever went to I was picked up by the deputy at the train station. It wasn't till I was older that I realised that was probably so that I didn't see Aylesbury up close before the interview and choose to get back on the train straight away.
Nowadays teaching jobs are very difficult to find both here in NZ and in the UK where unless you are 21 you don't have a chance. However, once you get your foot in the door (generally through relief work or classroom assistant) you are much more likely to get a job. Word of mouth and people knowing you helps. When I got my job in New Plymouth the Principal used to come to the UK once a year to recruit staff. That has long since become unnecessary.
Recessions almost always lead to a glut of teachers as people look to retrain for what they perceive is an easy life. With the massive increase in university entrants so the number of trainee teachers has also increased. I used to pine for the days when you could retire on most of your teaching pension when you got to 50. Nowadays just getting into the profession is an unattainable goal for many.