Citizenship

Old Jun 26th 2016, 6:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship

Originally Posted by bearskin
We are just now getting round to applying for a Brit passport for our youngest - he was born in NZ in 2005, a couple of years after we moved here.

As we are both British citizens, he qualifies through us, but I suppose at some point that allowance might change, and I reckon if he gets a passport now, he will be able to carry on having one for whenever he might want it?

For instance, if either of our two wanted to go and do an 'OE' they wouldn't actually have to they would just go and live in Britain as long as they liked - compared to the time limit on young people form NZ who are 'just kiwis'. Seems a bit odd, since all they've ever really known is NZ - but I think they are in a fairly fortunate position to be dual citizens of two fairly desirable places to live in the world.
There's a bit of misconception about this. Having a passport doesn't make you a citizen, rather you need to be a citizen in order to have a passport. If your youngest is eligible for a British passport now then it would take an unimaginable change in British nationality law, the removal of citizenship by descent, for that to alter. That being said it is easier to obtain and renew a British passport if you are born abroad if the first application is made before you turn 16.

If your youngest is 11 now then the passport would be valid for five years, so it would expire about the time he or she turns 16. If he or she then wants to renew their passport and have a ten year adult passport in order to spend time in the UK (or Europe although that's up in the air at the moment) then it would be easier for them to do so then if they had to apply for the first time after turning 16.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 8:47 am
Just Joined

mistran will become famous soon enoughmistran will become famous soon enough

We've attained citizenship purely for the kids so they will be dual nationals and have options in the future to live in UK and NZ if they wish
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
There's a bit of misconception about this. Having a passport doesn't make you a citizen, rather you need to be a citizen in order to have a passport.
Not from me, but you sum it up better than I have/can.

If your youngest is eligible for a British passport now then it would take an unimaginable change in British nationality law, the removal of citizenship by descent, for that to alter.
As a great man once said "I can imagine quite a lot"

If your youngest is 11 now then the passport would be valid for five years, so it would expire about the time he or she turns 16. If he or she then wants to renew their passport and have a ten year adult passport in order to spend time in the UK (or Europe although that's up in the air at the moment) then it would be easier for them to do so then if they had to apply for the first time after turning 16.
Yes to this, hence our timing. They will have turned 16 by the time they can apply for another passport (adult one)
Old Jul 8th 2016, 9:35 am
Pilottinker

pilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to behold

We had to have a very thorough interview. Didn't help that my Husband ticked the box saying he had been involved with Weapons of Mass Destruction. ( Doctor on Nuclear Subs ) Shhhh !
Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

As we have now passed our 5 years here, I'm thinking along the lines of applying. Can anyone enlighten me on the ceremony process, not really sure what it entails (assuming we are lucky enough to gain Citizenship)
Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:33 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

The ceremony itself entails shaking hands with the mayor and being handed a citizenship document. Plus some speeches and stuff.

Is that what you meant?
Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RobClubley
The ceremony itself entails shaking hands with the mayor and being handed a citizenship document. Plus some speeches and stuff.

Is that what you meant?
Yes, thanks RobClubley. I also wondered what you have/had to say and if it's written down for you!!!
Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:37 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it is, you're given a piece of paper with everything you need. Or it's on a big screen
Old Jan 9th 2017, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Yeah it is, you're given a piece of paper with everything you need. Or it's on a big screen
Brilliant, thanks for that.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reylan
Yes, thanks RobClubley. I also wondered what you have/had to say and if it's written down for you!!!
I, [full name], swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of New Zealand, Her heirs and successors, according to law, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of New Zealand and fulfil my duties as a New Zealand citizen.
So help me God.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to mention god if you don't believe in one!

Sing the national anthem in English and Maori, words provided. Not much to it really.
We enjoyed our day.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much everyone, lots of great information.
😄
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

I've been here 30 years but don't have citizenship, I don't see the point (for me) as I can do anything a kiwi does have the same rights, vote etc. Except I have to get a visa if I want to go to Australia which I've only visited once and I certainly don't ever want to live there. Plus it is really expensive to get citizenship. My kids were born here so they don't have a problem. Husband was a baby when he emigrated but still has his British and his parents who've never got it after 51 years. We were going to get it a few years ago but couldn't find our marriage certificate which we needed for process, then the price went up quite a bit after we found and just decided we couldn't be bothered. I have been to the ceremony with a Brit friend and it was quite interesting especially the bit where she swore allegiance to the Queen!!! Really don't think I would do it now as the cost is $600 +. My father in law said they only take the last 5 years into consideration anyway when you apply, unless that has changed and in his words were "nonsense"!!
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
Not from me, but you sum it up better than I have/can.

As a great man once said "I can imagine quite a lot"

Yes to this, hence our timing. They will have turned 16 by the time they can apply for another passport (adult one)
Whilst I would reiterate that the law simply won't change enough to remove British citizenship from the first generation born abroad holding a British passport won't prevent a future loss of citizenship if the law does change. It'll simply become null and void. Where it is helpful to obtain a passport when your children are under 16 is that trying to apply for a first time British passport as an adult born abroad is only going to get more difficult in terms of proving your identity/entitlement as one gets older.