Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christmas makes me sad

Christmas makes me sad

Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:51 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas makes me sad

Originally Posted by skirmy
This is my first Christmas in NZ, and I am struggling quite a bit too. As with many 'firsts' I really question what I have done. Fingers crossed I will get used to it, but right now my tree doesnt sparkle until its time for bed

( I am loving the sunshine all the same though...) !!
Yup, agree with you there. I put my Christmas cards out and the tree will be going up shortly. It's a reflex to want to switch the fire on but I don't need to.

I do remind myself that on Christmas Day in Britain, at our house, presents would be opened in daylight, Christmas dinner is eaten in daylight - both of those things are the same in Britain and NZ. It just doesn't get dark until about 9pm in New Zealand rather than 4pm in Britain.

When we came to NZ for Christmas and New Year 1996/1997 the only place I felt I really saw Christmas was at my husband's friends' house. We were there in the evening and I saw the Christmas lights on their tree reflected in the window of their living room. Other than that, Christmas at my in-laws was about as festive as Christmas in July/August in Britain.

It feels really wrong for it to be Christmas prior to winter, and that Autumn and Spring happen in the same year.

The fact that Summer holidays and Christmas holidays seem to be one and the same jars with me just little bit more with each successive Christmas.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 11th 2013 at 11:53 pm. Reason: seasons
Old Dec 12th 2013, 12:04 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I think my little avator from last Xmas mirrors your feelings.
If you need glasses like me...its a little UK Xmas card depicting a snowman it was next to my outside weather station screen showing 30C...made me feel a little sad until I went outside !

Last edited by Stormer999; Dec 12th 2013 at 12:07 am.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Lizard, all the best with the future. Remember this is your last Xmas here and try and enjoy it!
Yes, knowing it's your last will make it easier to bear...just the fact that it is dark by 4pm in UK makes such a difference to lights/atmosphere etc...it really is a better fit in the Northern Hemisphere...no need for actual snow though...cosy and warm will do.

Have fun Persephone and OP....it's your last - revel in its naffness
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:40 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Yes, knowing it's your last will make it easier to bear...just the fact that it is dark by 4pm in UK makes such a difference to lights/atmosphere etc...it really is a better fit in the Northern Hemisphere...no need for actual snow though...cosy and warm will do.

Have fun Persephone and OP....it's your last - revel in its naffness
Thanks, I will! I intend to make the most of it. Not sure that Mr S is looking forward to it quite as much-my family are much more outgoing and party orientated than his are.

Next year we'll be in NZ so it'll be back to the 'Silence of the In-laws'
Old Dec 12th 2013, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

I think the fact that this is my last Christmas here is actually winding me up more than making me feel relieved! But I think in general everything that normally gets to me a bit is getting to me big time now - feel like I am just killing time before able to go.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 6:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Persephone
Next year we'll be in NZ so it'll be back to the 'Silence of the In-laws'
You need to nip that in the bud and quickly, otherwise it will get set & you'll find yourself with the same old years down the line.

Next year make it just yourselves in your own home. Outlaws can go to you ...or not.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
This is going to be our 9th Christmas in NZ. I am not looking forward to it at all, it just makes me sad. I feel like I have missed out 9 times. I can't bear to hear Slade's " Merry Christmas everybody", it breaks my heart. Too many memories of great times in the pub over the years.

So we have decided this will be our last and the next one will be back in Blighty and all the ones after that.

I am just too English to stay away any longer, I need the country lanes, the Yorkshire moors, the village pub, concerts ( Roger Chapman and Family reformed and played Clumber Park and I missed it - f@#k)

I want to feel alive again.

I think a good number of us now feel that way. This will be our 3rd and final Xmas in NZ. We also move back to the UK next year in an area that we've not lived in before or even visited (yorkshire).

Best of luck with your future and enjoy the last hot xmas.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

davros1984 - Lucky you moving to Yorkshire, there are many great places and people there.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck Davros!
Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:13 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you Davros, good luck.

I think Yorkshire would be a nice place to live. It would depend on being somewhere good though. It might just have the best of both worlds i.e. city life/work then country and coast for leisure.

Though that's just a thought. There was a job advertised in Oxford yesterday that my husband could have applied for. So, I wouldn't rule anything out. No rush though. I asked my husband what the, 'lead time' would be on him applying for jobs in Britain as it is unlikely that he will get the first job he applies for. Or maybe he will ?

He just said, 'we'll know when'.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 12th 2013 at 9:19 pm. Reason: Oxford
Old Dec 16th 2013, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

You going back snap shot?

Re Xmas, I am feeling quite unchristmassy because its sunny and light and the lights simply don't twinkle the same!
Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by M_and_M
You going back snap shot?
Seriously thinking/talking about it. Nothing definite yet.

I was interviewed for a four month temporary admin job on 5th December. The job was a 150km round trip from Wanganui to Palmerston North and back each day, salary was $31-$34k pro-rata for the four months. (After 12 months unemployed, even that looked good) I agreed that I could start work on 16th December if successful before being interviewed and again at the end of the interview. I had answered the dozen or so interview style questions as part of the on-line application form when applying for the job. Followed by more questions from the 3 member interview panel whilst being interviewed. The interview was followed by a short typing test.

I was advised by the bloke interviewing me that I would hear from their Personnel Department week commencing 9th December. I heard nothing. Although one of my referees remarked they had been contacted for a reference for me on 6th December. I assume my other referees were contacted too.

Well, 16th December came and went. No last minute phone calls, no nothing. I've e-mailed the Personnel Department and the bloke that interviewed me to politely ask what's going on.

That too has been met with silence.

This just isn't funny anymore.

BTW - good luck and for a good outcome from your interview yesterday.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snaps
davros1984 - Lucky you moving to Yorkshire, there are many great places and people there.
Originally Posted by Choccie
Good Luck Davros!
Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Good on you Davros, good luck.

I think Yorkshire would be a nice place to live. It would depend on being somewhere good though. It might just have the best of both worlds i.e. city life/work then country and coast for leisure.
Thanks all. Its a brave move, but a necessary one. I hear lots of good things about Yorkshire. Really I want to be somewhere that's not busy, so not London, the SE or Auckland. I don't mind working in a busy place, i.e. Leeds - so long as where I live is pleasant and the commute isn't hellish.

Ideally a small market town or village in and around Leeds with a reasonable commute there. Lots of jobs in what I do in that area. Also, for less than 170K GBP - there are some cracking houses available.

I would hope to live somewhere pretty and quite "English".

I wish you all the best for your future any potential move back home!
Old Dec 16th 2013, 6:39 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I've really tried with this thread, I read it every time I'm on the forum. I just don't know how I feel about Christmas this year.

Yes I'm excited but that is excitement for my daughter. She is only 5. I suppose I don't feel anything for myself. That's weird.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I've really tried with this thread, I read it every time I'm on the forum. I just don't know how I feel about Christmas this year.

Yes I'm excited but that is excitement for my daughter. She is only 5. I suppose I don't feel anything for myself. That's weird.
I reckon you've summed it up for a few of us when you say "I just don't know how I feel about Christmas this year: confused.

It's the one time of the year here that I get really jittery, I feel misplaced suddenly, like there's a party going on and I didn't get an invitation. My son, who's in his mid twenties, said yesterday that he just can't 'get into' Christmas in the summer and that he and his wife are going to have a mid-winter Christmas as well. He said it just doesn't feel right after all his UK winter christmases. So confused is a good word for how it all feels for us. This time of the year suddenly feels so isolating from the usual culture we're all used to and I agree, I'm just not sure what I feel. Is it too early for alcohol?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.