Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Christchurch thread

I dont know if this is going to be any use to anyone but i know a few members are moving over to christchurch and then obviously theres the members that are already there This thread might be good to use to discuss anything chch related so us newbies arent taking over peoples threads

Would be good for the experts to give the newbies any warnings/tips too if they wanted

Anyway its there if anybody wants to use it
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:04 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Hi Stacey good idea
One word of warning that others have posted before, rental accommodation is very hard to find in the city. We were very lucky as there are only two of us no kids or pets. Be prepared for a lot of searching and viewing.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Hi Stacey good idea
One word of warning that others have posted before, rental accommodation is very hard to find in the city. We were very lucky as there are only two of us no kids or pets. Be prepared for a lot of searching and viewing.
Thats one thing im definitely worried about (if we do come) i've even been having a look at house shares, wouldnt bother me doing that for a while till we found something long term, might even be fun.

How are you finding the cost of living so far?
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:50 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

There's up's and down's to that one. Beds are expensive electricals are generally cheaper. Meat is cheaper for good quality and green stuff is more expensive but fresh and not travelled so far as the UK shelf product. One iceberg lettuce lasted 3 days it was so huge. There's only two of us so the food bill is not too hard to bear. Fuel is a big plus for the car and that is a major factor for a lot of Brits at home. Travel is magic even the Chch rush hour is pleasant to drive in as attitudes are totally at ease generally. White goods are expensive about 30% more and well made. Roads dry very quickly after a rain fall so I have noticed a lack of the greasy surfaces from diesel/wet leaves. Just want my Motorcycle gear from the container now to get back on two wheels.....
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Buses are a good way to get around ChCh -buy a Metrocard for reduced fares - http://www.metroinfo.co.nz/. Buses run every day of the year, including Xmas Day.
Look at this site http://www.bookme.co.nz/bookings/chr...56FD5D.tomcatA to buy cheaper attraction/activity/golf tickets etc.
Try not to convert everything back to GBP! You will be paid in NZ$, so it doesn't matter that in the UK you can get a loaf of bread and a pint of whatever for 20p!
Shop around and don't be afraid to ask for 'best price' when shopping for electrical or furniture.
Keep a torch by your bed and a store of water 'in case' and your phone charged up.
Tutto Bene on Papanui Rd is good Italian restaurant - huge pizzas. Best to book though.
Think that's it for now!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

I knew I would think of something else!

Riccarton Market at the Racecourse, is held every Sunday from 9am to 2pm rain or shine. They have around 200 stalls and for those who really miss the taste of home, there is a huge stall full of stuff like Robinsons squash, english choc (the real stuff, not the stuff that looks the same but is made in Oz and doesn't taste the same! ), biscuits, cereals, McCoys and Walkers crisps etc. There is also a caravan selling cornish pasties, again UK version. http://www.riccartonmarket.co.nz/ open Easter Monday instead of Sunday this week.
Also, the sun is very harsh here - 18c can feel more like 25+, so sunscreen is a must every day.
Right, that is it........I think!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who misses all things English pop along to Courtney Drive in Kaiapoi to Piccadilly Circus and see Rod at the English Shop. He has great prices too like $10 for 3 bottles of Robinsons squash and $10 for 180 Tetley Tea Bags, and I have just had a couple of pks of McVities Rich Tea bikkies and some chocolate digestives and hubby gets his WeetAbix fix from him too. Oh and good old fashioned english sweets - everything you can think of. He is on facebook too and trade me search Piccadilly Circus on FB and on Trademe his name is Nobby14 - worth a look if you are craving a particular item!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirl - he is the guy at Riccarton Market!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
Shirl - he is the guy at Riccarton Market!
not sure I know he does some A and P shows and stuff, he has dark hair and supports Man U lol!!!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shirl
not sure I know he does some A and P shows and stuff, he has dark hair and supports Man U lol!!!
He def is, cos he has flyers advertising his Kaipoi place and fb. Riccarton just quicker to get to, plus the pasty lady is there
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Glad i started this thread, good info!

Yeah stormer i had heard that some things are cheaper and some are expensive, quite good that petrols cheaper tho. We downsized our car to try save on the petrol but its still a fortune especially since hes driving home from oban!

Been trying to do as much research on cost of living as possible, bit worried we would be constantly skint as im not going to be making good money there either, probably minimum wage. So a lot to think and talk about but we'll go agead with the skype interview obv and see what they say
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light

Re the accommodation thing.
There is a site called share-accommodation.co.nz.
This originally started up as a students site and has expanded over the years. It works well because you place an advert/profile and it can be viewed by those with rooms to rent. The site does duplicate some of the content on trade me (advertisers use both).
The only drawback, that I found, was difficulty in registering whilst in the UK. You need a NZ address to register. You also need to set up a paypal account (costs pence).
The site works well because those with rooms to offer chase you and you are not doing an endless round of fruitless viewings.
Alas, you won't find a house, however you will put a roof over your head!
It got me, and my dogs, into a shared house and from that I got a pukka house rental.
Most of the professional market (property managers and real estate) wouldn't even contemplate 2 dogs. best of luck to those newly arrived and those on their way.

Steve S.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

I have been living in Auckland for 10 years and my husband has been offered a great job in Christchurch....So we are seriously looking at moving there...However not sure of the places to live. We have two boys 11 and 12 years who love to surf and skate and so we would like to live near the sea. But of course the eastern subs were damaged by the earthquake so any ideas where to start looking??

Thanks
Old Apr 7th 2012, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NZGrl
I have been living in Auckland for 10 years and my husband has been offered a great job in Christchurch....So we are seriously looking at moving there...However not sure of the places to live. We have two boys 11 and 12 years who love to surf and skate and so we would like to live near the sea. But of course the eastern subs were damaged by the earthquake so any ideas where to start looking??

Thanks
Hi,
Some of the eastern suburbs were badly affected. However, we live in Parklands and our road made all the papers and tv news for the liquefaction (none in our house luckily!). The next road over however, you wouldn't have known anything had happened!
Parklands is situated just up from New Brighton at Waimairi Beach. People do surf there and this may be useful as they have a Juniors division for surf sports http://www.waimairisurf.org.nz/home. If you don't want to watch them, you can always go for a coffee etc here http://www.beachcafe.co.nz/
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:39 pm

Hi Chippy,
We went to the Museum yesterday room 9 EQ exhibit....enough said I think.
You saved me from a lonely walk around Riccarton on Easter Sunday...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.