Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch - jobs for wife

Christchurch - jobs for wife

Old Feb 15th 2014, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Ray3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christchurch - jobs for wife

Hi All,

I recently accepted a job (I posted info about on here a few weeks back), got crbs and all medicals done, visas going out asap and then just booking the flights.

The only thing out of our control at the moment which is worrying me slightly is work for my wife. I have a construction job to goto straight away but having done some research online it looks like my wife may experience some problems getting work as she will not have nz experience.

Although my wife is a manager of an child attraction farm and softplay centre, im sure she wants a simpler job for the start of our nz adventure. One with less responsibility and stress that her current job has.

So, what i'm asking, what's the likely hood of the wife getting work in Christchurch? I think she'd be best suited to an active job or supervisor/ass manager.

Thanks to all in advance - coming over at start of may (fingers crossed)

Ray
Old Feb 16th 2014, 2:05 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch - jobs for wife

unfortunately its a suck and see type scenario.

I came over in January 2012 and was lucky enough to get a part time job in After School Care to cover a staff member who was off working on the hobbit, it was lucky MrF had gotten to know him so he passed my details over aiding me to get the position. But then you have another member on here that has been here longer than me, started off in Christchurch and think only managed the odd temp work here and there, Then her husband got offer on job on NI so they moved over to NI and she has not managed to get any work since.
In the time that I've been here a kiwi friend has been looking for work and has only this week managed to get a part time position so has had to supplement house hold income by trying to get cleaning jobs.
You also have the situation where a previous member and husband had come over again more than 2 yrs ago and neither have managed to secure any time of job as yet, and that was moving from Wellington to Auckland to widen the search but still no luck. Another member has this week been offered a position and they have been here for 6mths. so as I said above its just a matter of getting yourself out there and seeing what happens
Old Feb 16th 2014, 3:44 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Don't expect a walk in the park... even if job is on the ltssl

I'll give you my wife as an example

She's been a Health Care Assistant in the UK for well over 6 years. HCA's, Caregivers etc apparently are always required around this area

When we first arrived, she managed to get a job at Burwood hospital part time 2 months after arrival. She was there for well over 18 months before deciding to seek a full time position in order to earn more finance to look after our son

She must have applied for at least 15-20 care giver/HCA positions. Due to her experience and skills, you'd think she'd be on most short lists for interview

She only had one interview which ended up resulting in a job offer. The rest turned her down - amazing! To further add, the two positions she's worked in, both hiring managers have been South African.

I'm not saying employers are racist but it does make you think how someone experienced as her only got one interview. Also, it is a case of who you know here...
Old Feb 16th 2014, 4:14 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Since arriving in Chch one year ago I have never had any problems getting work. I have almost done it all! Cleaning, waitressing, admin/reception, bar work, shop work, barista and now I work in my profession. I never found work difficult to come by and employers certainly did not seem bothered about my nationality. Coming across as hard working with a can-do attitude really helps. As soon as I arrived I went in personally to all of the agencies (there's heaps here), checked TradeMe, Seek and Backpackers Board frequently.

Other people may have different experiences but mine have been nothing but positive

Good luck with it all!
Old Feb 17th 2014, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

My two cents worth ... job hunting in New Zealand is quite different to the UK. NZ'ers generally prefer to do it themselves, and NZ businesses are the same. Therefore rather than hiring staff through employment agencies, which is very common in the UK, NZ small business either advertise the jobs on www.trademe.co.nz or hire people they know.

My suggestion is to focus on the type on occupation or sector that your wife wants to work in and then network, network, network. Consider attending BNI meetings, chamber of commerce meetings, use a linked profile, check out the Westpac Business Hub (they have regular network meetings) and of course contact any association in your field of interest.
Best wishes for the move and for job hunting.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Ray3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the input.

Fingers crossed then eh.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray3324
I think she'd be best suited to an active job or supervisor/ass manager.
I'd go for the Ass Manager job - assuming she has experience?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

shellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray3324
Thanks all for the input.

Fingers crossed then eh.
Hello Ray3324,

I've been looking for work in ChCh now for 2 months. I started over the Christmas holidays so it's been slow. I had one job interview for a senior role at a bank and made it to the final two. The other guy had banking experience which I didn't so they went with him.

I'm finding few roles in my line of work, and was warned by 3 recruiters that jobs in my area don't come along very often, which granted is a bit specialized. I could try for a much junior role which do come up quite frequently, but have serious doubts if they would hire me because I would be well over qualified.

We wife works as a nurse and she had no problem getting hired before we arrived. Quite a few UK/foreign nurses at her place so I don't think if you're in a sort after profession there so much of a problem getting a job. I do think that a lot of jobs here are gotten through contacts and that is the killer if you don't have any.

Good luck.

Martin