British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Christchurch (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/christchurch-906337/)

Stephen Jones Nov 28th 2017 2:52 pm

Christchurch

I'm hearing from those in the know that Christchurch is booming for IT roles at the moment.

If that's so, what's it like in terms of living and infrastructure there now?
Is the re-building on target etc?

Stephen

Justcol Nov 29th 2017 7:06 am

Re: Christchurch

Mr Jones, weren't you looking at wellington (i think) early last year
I thought you'd got sorted and were now over here.

Sorry cant help with your questions but welcome back

Stephen Jones Nov 29th 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12390856)
Mr Jones, weren't you looking at wellington (i think) early last year
I thought you'd got sorted and were now over here.

Sorry cant help with your questions but welcome back

Hi Justcol
Yes, I was (and still am to some degree) looking at Wellington. But it's worthwhile my looking at other regions/areas too.

Thanks for the welcome back.

Steve

Pom_Chch Nov 29th 2017 6:20 pm

Hi Stephen,

Yes there is a demand for skilled IT workers in Chch. My partner works in IT and was putting feelers out for a new job a while back. A lot of companies at that time were saying it's so difficult to find good, skilled IT staff particularly in Chch.

Stephen Jones Nov 29th 2017 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12391275)
Hi Stephen,

Yes there is a demand for skilled IT workers in Chch. My partner works in IT and was putting feelers out for a new job a while back. A lot of companies at that time were saying it's so difficult to find good, skilled IT staff particularly in Chch.

Thanks for this.
What's it like living there at the moment?

Pom_Chch Nov 29th 2017 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 12391309)
Thanks for this.
What's it like living there at the moment?

We've been here 5 years now and love it. We don't live in Chch, we're 25km north, which is also an area that's developing pretty quickly. I actually don't venture into the city all that much, but when we have visitors staying the standard trip into the big smoke is usually necessary! I enjoy my time there, it's no where near finished but there has been great progress and I still feel it's a lovely place. We're not city people though, we spend most of our time out of cities/towns and in the country side :)

Stephen Jones Nov 29th 2017 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12391341)
We've been here 5 years now and love it. We don't live in Chch, we're 25km north, which is also an area that's developing pretty quickly. I actually don't venture into the city all that much, but when we have visitors staying the standard trip into the big smoke is usually necessary! I enjoy my time there, it's no where near finished but there has been great progress and I still feel it's a lovely place. We're not city people though, we spend most of our time out of cities/towns and in the country side :)

Thanks for this.
It gives us an idea.

Steve