Christchurch

Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:24 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of
Default Christchurch

Hi all,
For those who did not flee Chch after the quake 5 years ago, what's it like living there now?
It's our most favourite city in NZ (we visited again last year) and if we manage to get there in a couple of years, that's where we would like to go.
What is it like living with the earthquakes?
Living with the rebuilding? (Which we were very impressed with!)
What's happened to jobs? Have business/companies moved elsewhere while the city is being rebuilt?
I'm sure I'll think of more questions later but will really appreciate any feedback.
Thanks xx
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch

I can only speak from my experience, which I am sure will differ greatly.
Been here 5.5 years now, was a bit of an unknown quantity at first and the quakes were unsettling (don't worry about them too much now, although have plenty of emergency supplies). Hand on heart it's been the most productive time of our lives. Bought our own place, learnt about DIY and gardening. The city is finally starting to emerge, but lacks the spark of Welly/Auckland for the nightlife lovers in their 20s. Pretty exciting to see what changes on a week to week basis. We live on $110000 PA (before tax) for two of us with no kids/pets. We can afford to over pay the mortgage, take trips, and eat out most weekends.
A lot of the new big office blocks that are vacant, won't be much longer as government departments move in. I think the central city needs a few anchor big names to encourage other retailers to take on the many vacant ground floor units that haven't been used for hospitality (Zara & H&M are coming). The big crossing development on Cashel street will open this year and I think that will be the tipping point.
Watch this space, I think we will be the envy of NZ pretty soon.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 4:44 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Thanks for that Mark. That's exactly how we felt when we visited - that Chch is going to be fantastic, especially after hearing of some of the plans.

So what happened to the big companies that were in the city centre? Did they move their offices out of town or to other cities?

Thanks for all your feedback :-)
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I can only speak first hand of two such major owners in the Xch CBD. They joined forces & set up in Auckland.

For others, such as Pyne Gould for instance, they took up premises outside of the CBD.

Personally , now that a few years have gone by, I'd say Christchurch is slowly rising from its own ashes. From the outside looking in, I think it is starting to present a more favourably larger city life alternative to either Auckland with its overpriced crowded housing issue and Welly with its weather and now its own quake shakes.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 4:59 am
happy daisy

Thanks Bevs xx
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

I agree with Mark, i've been living here for 3.5 years and feel that the city is now starting to come together again. Nightlife is lacking a small bit due to bars and a few clubs so spread out but it's ALOT better than 3 years ago and it's constantly getting better. A few house clubs would be nice . There is a new adventure park opened and Christchurch is surrounded by lakes and bays plus several large beaches that are never too crowded due to their size. Climate wise i feel it it one of the best climates in New Zealand and the best out of all the cities due to it getting little rain and doesn't have high humidity so summer is nice and hot but rarely too hot. It is more for people who love an outdoor lifestyle as it might not be as exciting as the big cities like Auckland or Sydney but it's only getting better. Also in terms of housing, Christchurch isn't suffering from the housing shortages that other regions suffer from so while i still think prices for existing homes are overpriced they are alot more affordable than the likes of Wellington and Auckland which means that owning a home here on an average joint income is achievable.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 7:05 am
happy daisy

Thanks for that. I read about the adventure park - it sounds fabulous!