Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Children with asthma

Children with asthma

Old Jun 26th 2015, 5:16 am
Just Joined

anwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the rough
Default Children with asthma

Hi,

My family and I emigrated from the UK 7 years ago. I was pregnant with my second child, a lovely baby girl. We rented our home for the first six month and it was a weatherboard house which was damp.

My little girl has severe asthma and she has had a number of visits to the hospital with her asthma.

Just the last few days I was thinking about how she would be in the UK with her asthma as I have heard when people have moved from different countries their asthma has got better and they no longer suffer.

Can anyone relate to this please or give me a little advice .

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2015, 6:18 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children with asthma

Originally Posted by anwanti
Hi,

My family and I emigrated from the UK 7 years ago. I was pregnant with my second child, a lovely baby girl. We rented our home for the first six month and it was a weatherboard house which was damp.

My little girl has severe asthma and she has had a number of visits to the hospital with her asthma.

Just the last few days I was thinking about how she would be in the UK with her asthma as I have heard when people have moved from different countries their asthma has got better and they no longer suffer.

Can anyone relate to this please or give me a little advice .

Thanks
I doubt the returning to the UK would help. NZ is second only to the UK in childhood asthma, so both countries have a problem. I would imagine a warmer drier climate might help, e.g. parts of Australia. I have heard of people moving to Spain to ease asthma.

One thing that has always interested me is that, like in the UK, asthma is far more prevalent than when I was a kid in the 70's. Which leads one to suggest environmental causes (e.g. diet, chemicals in food, pollution, antibiotic use).
Old Jun 27th 2015, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

anwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the roughanwanti is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your advice.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

kiwi white is an unknown quantity at this point

My asthma is better here in Dunedin than back in Leeds. One of the many reasons we wanted to live in a small city when we moved over here.