British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Childcare issues may prevent a move (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/childcare-issues-may-prevent-move-911809/)

Steffy84 Apr 17th 2018 7:13 pm

Childcare issues may prevent a move

Good morning all!
Myself and my family are currently in NZ having a look around for a potential move next year (I used to live here 8 years ago). I am very worried at the moment that it will not happen due to the changes in Auckland traffic / commuting times. Our issue is that both myself and my partners jobs will more than likely be CBD based and if we live in say Half Moon Bay / Bucklands Beach area that may mean a commute of over an hour. We have a 3 and a 5 year old, one will be at school and the other in nursery. It is my understanding that childcare / breakfast clubs start at 7.30am until 6.00pm. If we work 8.30am until 5.00pm I am guessing there is no way we would get back to collect them before 6.00pm. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you get around it? Obviously we would have no family in NZ to help us. Wellington is our second choice and we noticed the traffic there wasn't that great either at peak times and the areas that we liked (Whitby, Papakowhai) would also be a commute into the city so the same problem applies.
I am currently really upset that my dream of returning to NZ will not happen, if anyone could share any stories with me it would be appreciated.
Thank you!

simonsi Apr 17th 2018 8:38 pm

Re: Childcare issues may prevent a move

So:

Unless you have your job contracts already simply look for jobs where you can negotiate one of you starts 8:30, one at 9, one drops off, one picks up.

Live elsewhere that fits you travel requirements, there is so much choice (assuming you can afford it). The Half-Moon Bay-CBD ferry is 40mins as you may be aware.

Look for childcare in the CBD to reduce the work-to-childcare time (won't work with schools due to zoning but that might sort the nursery).

One of you works part-time or shift work.

There <will> be other options depending on your circumstances I'm sure. When we first arrived we had 3 girls, in nursery, primary and intermediate schools with no family support.

MrsFychan Apr 17th 2018 8:39 pm

at the moment neither of you have job offers? I personally wouldn't let childcare put you off as there will be many a family in your situation here who manage. It would just be something to look into once you know if you can actually get over and make the area, work and finances work first.

Steffy84 Apr 17th 2018 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12483706)
at the moment neither of you have job offers? I personally wouldn't let childcare put you off as there will be many a family in your situation here who manage. It would just be something to look into once you know if you can actually get over and make the area, work and finances work first.

I have permanent residency and I have had it confirmed that my family will get visas based on my status so we don't need sponsoring etc. We have made enquiries with potential employers and are pretty sure our hours would be somewhere between 8.00am to 6.00p., CBD based so we are basing our plans around that. I appreciate we don't have actual offers yet but I don't want to sell my UK house and then find out we can't make the child care work if that's makes sense. The childcare logistics is our biggest concern. Thank you for saying what you have about not giving up...it's what I needed to hear as it feels impossible at the moment now we are here and enjoying the Auckland traffic. Haha...

simonsi Apr 17th 2018 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Steffy84 (Post 12483710)
We have made enquiries with potential employers and are pretty sure our hours would be somewhere between 8.00am to 6.00p.

Of course but even some differential within that start/finish time range will make it completely workable IMHO.

Have you found a nursery place - that would be my bigger worry TBH at this point...

KOH2 Apr 17th 2018 10:44 pm

I appreciate we don't have actual offers yet but I don't want to sell my UK house and then find out we can't make the child care work if that's makes sense. The childcare logistics is our biggest concern.

Hi Steffy84, if you don't mind me asking - how do you manage atm in the UK with childcare? Unfortunately, having young children does mean you're responsible for their care and yes, it restricts your job choices but it does not last forever (says she whose own offspring have recently entered the teenage years and no longer require such close supervision). When we lived in the UK I was a SAHM as also without family support we couldn't make it work re school hours/holidays. I guess we were lucky that we could do that, although of course it meant no foreign holidays and special treats had to be planned for well in advance. But that was our decision and I realise not everybody would like/is able to do that. How about looking at getting an au-pair/student/mum at child's school to do the drop offs/pick-ups? Or as others are saying negotiate the starting/finishing times. Lots of families move overseas (I've done it several times so I can fully empathise) and yes, I know it's stressful but childcare logistics shouldn't be one of the reasons from stopping you moving.

Thank you for saying what you have about not giving up...it's what I needed to hear as it feels impossible at the moment now we are here and enjoying the Auckland traffic. Haha...

If you've got NZ residency then you're already streets ahead of other would be immigrants. Sort out your jobs and accommodation first and the rest will follow. Good luck and best wishes in following your dreams.

BEVS Apr 17th 2018 11:18 pm

I think this is about commute times and work hours.

Hopefully the OP and partner will be able to negotiate their start/finish times.

As Simonsi has pointed out, best to start finding the nursery place first as there can be a queue.

Pom_Chch Apr 18th 2018 3:19 am

One other question - what happens if you move and in a couple of years when your kids are at school which opens later and closes earlier, what will you do for childcare then?

Steffy84 Apr 18th 2018 4:38 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12483774)
I think this is about commute times and work hours.

Hopefully the OP and partner will be able to negotiate their start/finish times.

As Simonsi has pointed out, best to start finding the nursery place first as there can be a queue.

Wow I didn't realise there would be a waiting list for nursery places...Haha...I probably sound very nieve now, I'm used to the less desirable North of England where there are no waiting lists 🤣

Bo-Jangles Apr 18th 2018 7:51 am

I think it's a bit mad to be worrying about that; every other parent that works in Auckland has to overcome the same issues and they really don't all have mums and dads or extended family on hand to help.

I have people in my team that come into work at stupid o'clock and leave the other half to sort the kids breakfast and school / kindy drop off and then the other one picks them up. Others work shorter day, have au pairs, or use PORSE In-home Childcare | Early Childhood Education & Training | PORSE or make use of before or after school clubs.

Everything is negotiable and nobody is going to insist that you both work a strict 8.30 until 5.00pm

Justcol Apr 18th 2018 7:40 pm

Do you HAVE to live in Auckland
If it's creating issues go somewhere else. You have no ties to anywhere. What a perfect opportunity

Princess_Buttercup Apr 18th 2018 8:23 pm

Good thing tho' your childcare bill will be significantly cheaper in NZ than paying for it in the UK. The cost of childcare here is horrific as my colleagues daily remind me.