Child Allowance

Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all
Default Re: Child Allowance

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
On the subject correct me if iam wrong but if u earn a certain amount in N.Z. u dont qualify for child family allowance unless on a low income. Whereas in England it makes no odds to your income u still get it. Be it whether u r a Lawyer,Doctor etc.
I'm pretty sure that if your on 55+ in the UK you get no allowances but I could be wrong, certainly I've never managed to claim any
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:37 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by howden40
Sorry this came across badly, I was not suggesting you were being offensive, I think what you had to say was good. It was some of the responses my comment was aimed at.

Sorry
Pauline
Thas ok and I know who your refering to....
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by love30stm
Thas ok and I know who your refering to....
who????
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yup ! I also think that Child Allowance & Child Maintenance for that matter is a great subject for a thread.

Originally Posted by eddie nz
there is also no agreement between the two countries re child support

Actually as Woodlea points out, there is a form of agreement between the two countries. It's a bit convoluted if my memory serves me right, but it is there. There was a csa thread HERE

As with any child maint agreement, the problemo would be in enforcing the order.

As for child allowance from the UK or for NZ . I think a dig around would be a good idea to find out exactly how this works.

If a family come here on a temporary work permit, thy are not entitled to claim the NZ equivalent of family allowance , so could they legit claim the UK one

Perhaps , we could all find out collectively just how this works.

Originally Posted by Eddie NZ
Who ?
Behave and get searching for the answers mate
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

I was surprised to see notes on an agreement written down, I'd heard rumours but never seen it.

Your also right on the enforcement problem I've never heard of anyone getting it to work, and as it would involve two of the more incompetent departments in both countries..
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:49 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

REMO's great if you have a maintenance order already in place made by the court. The parent with care can then go through REMO to have the absent parent made to pay up in a country where there is a reciprocal agreement. However, that country's court will look at the absent parent's income in their new country and take into account their living costs and will only award a payment of a percentage of the disposable income left after all living costs have been taken into account. And bear in mind the exchange rate. So if all that is left after this calculation is $30 a week and only a percentage of this is payable back to the parent with care in the UK each it hardly seems worth all the effort and cost of getting REMO involved to be awarded such a paltry sum each week.

AND if you do not already have a maintenance order made by the court already in place before one party emigrates REMO can't do anything. You would first have to go to the court and apply for a maintenance order. Which is going to cost and given the above outcome you'd have to ask is it really worth it?

CSA payments: if you are the parent with care and you emigrate, CSA payments cease from the date you leave the UK with the children. The CSA have no jurisdiction to enforce payments from the absent parent if the children are no longer within the jurisdiction. If you are the absent parent and leave a child in the UK with the parent with care and you will no longer be a UK tax payer once you have emigrated, the CSA have no jurisidiction to request further maintenance payments once you have emigrated.
If you are the parent with care and leave the UK with the children, your regular maintenance payments will cease BUT you are still entitled to claim any back pay which is owed. This will, or should, be paid monthly until such time as the back pay is cleared, so if there is a 1,000 GBP owed in back pay and the rate the CSA have assessed is 100 GBP to be paid monthly then you would receive 100 GBP for 10 months and then all payments would cease.

At least this is the information we were able to glean before we left the UK. This may have changed since last year so it would be better to check your own personal circumstances with the appropriate authorities.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

In answer to Eddies question u can claim and are entitled to child allowance regardless of your income or savings in the U.K. I wonder how many people dont know about this and like Eddie missed out? Think of all the savings the British government must have? Then again they will just say that people need to do their own research to find this out.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
In answer to Eddies question u can claim and are entitled to child allowance regardless of your income or savings in the U.K. I wonder how many people dont know about this and like Eddie missed out? Think of all the savings the British government must have? Then again they will just say that people need to do their own research to find this out.
Yes you get Child Benefit whatever you earn, but Child Tax Credit is means tested and thats where higher earners won't qualify.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

True that u wont get the tax credit, in N.Z. though if u go over a certain amount which isnt that much u lose your child allowance which in my opinion parents should get anyway.And if u earn too much God forbid if u need the Doctors long term u sure are gonna pay another which i think is wrong. Considering the N.H.S.was pioneered in N.Z. if iam not mistaken.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Yes you get Child Benefit whatever you earn, but Child Tax Credit is means tested and thats where higher earners won't qualify.
True - in UK 4 years ago we used to get child benefit but not Gordon Brown's child tax credit.