Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Canada vs New Zealand?

Canada vs New Zealand?

Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

drsdt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada vs New Zealand?

We've got a bit of a dilemma - we've just left the UK and can't decide on where to settle - Canada or NZ. I'm originally from Canada and my wife is from NZ, but I haven't lived in Canada since the early 90s. We're happy to be in Canada, but wonder if our quality of life would be better in NZ. We've got an 17 month old little girl and we are getting anxious to know where home will be. Work and locations within the countries isn't really a concern. We're just curious to see which country you would recommend (and why). We have been agonizing over the decision, so any input, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Canada vs New Zealand?

We had this dilemma for a while, as big Sis lived in Canada for 3yrs in Nova Scotia and was planning on returning there. NZ won for us because the wages we were being offered for OHs job were a lot lower in Canada, he is in IT& Telecoms.

Also my OH didn't really like the extremes of the weather out there, hot in summer, freeze your butt off in winter, NZ certainly seems to have the better climate for us.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you're happy to be in Canada, then why change things?

At the very least, your NZ partner should get Canadian citizenship (if you're settled there), then perhaps you could think about other options. But no country is going to be perfect and hopping from one place to another is an expensive pastime.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we are Canadian and now live here in Rangiora, north of Christchurch on the South Island. We like it down here. For me, I like being able to get out on my bike and not worry too much about the car traffic as I travers the country roads. I can do that all year round here. I think that for me that is the best thing. I like the freedom from the extremes of the weather, being able to go the beach when we want and hike out at the nearby mountains. I like the quiet town we live in and its proximity to Christchurch. I am from southern Ontario. There are not too many places that one can live that is comparable to our situation. Perhaps Woodstock. It is a great location and only about 40 minutes to London. There are a number of small places around Ottawa too, on both sides of the river. However, I like it here best. Just wish family was closer.

PM me and perhaps we could arrange a conversation skype. We are the McAlpine Family on Skype if you look for us.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Hi, we are Canadian and now live here in Rangiora, north of Christchurch on the South Island. We like it down here. For me, I like being able to get out on my bike and not worry too much about the car traffic as I travers the country roads. I can do that all year round here. I think that for me that is the best thing. I like the freedom from the extremes of the weather, being able to go the beach when we want and hike out at the nearby mountains. I like the quiet town we live in and its proximity to Christchurch. I am from southern Ontario. There are not too many places that one can live that is comparable to our situation. Perhaps Woodstock. It is a great location and only about 40 minutes to London. There are a number of small places around Ottawa too, on both sides of the river. However, I like it here best. Just wish family was closer.

PM me and perhaps we could arrange a conversation skype. We are the McAlpine Family on Skype if you look for us.
Canada has a fantastic allure for many..I fancied it..like I fancied Oz too...but NZ won as the extremes are way less here..mainly in weather terms and size. I would find it hard living in a HUGE country as I would always wonder about all the bits I didn't get to. I like small, I also like the fact that NZ is a country full of non conformists to a degree. Still very much a very very young country..man has only been here since 950ad or there abouts.

At the end of the day its down to personal preferences aye? All three places I mentioned Oz NZ and Can are all greta to live..all full of problems just like anywhere its what suits you best. I love NZ and am here to stay. Hey but others HATE the place..as do they the other 2..horses for courses.

Main thing for me about NZ is space..then even more space. But within a small country that has soooooooooo much to see and such an intense variety..and four reasonable seasons.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:31 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drsdt
We've got a bit of a dilemma - we've just left the UK and can't decide on where to settle - Canada or NZ. I'm originally from Canada and my wife is from NZ, but I haven't lived in Canada since the early 90s. We're happy to be in Canada, but wonder if our quality of life would be better in NZ. We've got an 17 month old little girl and we are getting anxious to know where home will be. Work and locations within the countries isn't really a concern. We're just curious to see which country you would recommend (and why). We have been agonizing over the decision, so any input, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
I would have chose Canada more near the USA,,,lol and im not kidding, as Im gettiing a bit sick of this place and the isolation, at least canada you wont feel so isolated and going back to visit the uk easier and cheaper.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis
Canada has a fantastic allure for many..I fancied it..like I fancied Oz too...but NZ won as the extremes are way less here..mainly in weather terms and size. I would find it hard living in a HUGE country as I would always wonder about all the bits I didn't get to. I like small, I also like the fact that NZ is a country full of non conformists to a degree. Still very much a very very young country..man has only been here since 950ad or there abouts.

At the end of the day its down to personal preferences aye? All three places I mentioned Oz NZ and Can are all greta to live..all full of problems just like anywhere its what suits you best. I love NZ and am here to stay. Hey but others HATE the place..as do they the other 2..horses for courses.

Main thing for me about NZ is space..then even more space. But within a small country that has soooooooooo much to see and such an intense variety..and four reasonable seasons.
I know you love it here, I dont love it but I consider it a better place then the uk anyway

but I think we will consider moving somewhere else in New zealand first, then maybe Oz, I dont want to feel like ive retired just yet!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

hello,

i originally came from scotland and moved to Christchurch, NZ in 2004. I left NZ in 2007 with my family to live in Nova Scotia.

We have since left there, travelled round Oz and are now back to Christchurch, NZ!!!

I guess we didnt realise how much we loved New ZEaland until we left it. This time round we can see over the negative tall poppy stuff. Its only bad if you think about it all the time!!

Canada was lovely, but as almost every other poster here has said, it is very extremem with weather, size etc.

And looking at the current weather over there, I would much rather be stepping out to a nice 28 degrees over the xmas period than a chilly -20c!!!!

cheers, G&D
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

One other plus for NZ is twice the holiday entitlement, 2 weeks holiday in Canada was not very appealing
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Holiday entitlement will be dependent upon what province you live in. While by law in Ontario for example, you are only entitled to two weeks, I started with 3 weeks right out of university with my employer and was taking four weeks off with my last one before leaving.

When thinking about Canada I think it is best to not consider it as one place. It is too big and culturally is different in Quebec, the Maritimes, Newfoundland, Ontario the Praries and BC.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:51 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

30stm - have you considered moving within nz? I know you said your husband's job is in Wanganui, but have you considered moving?

Come to Wellington

Not that I don't disagree with the general concern that NZ can be isolated i guess!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:12 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon
One other plus for NZ is twice the holiday entitlement, 2 weeks holiday in Canada was not very appealing
holiday entitlement varies..we live in west van and i work downtown...i get 4 weeks + all stats and 2 full weeks at christmas....this is not unusual.....we have also lived in NZ and got a similar deal.......the plus side here i find is that most jobs attract all medical,dental coverage and end of year bonuses are good compared to my experience in NZ......
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

not just holiday entitlement but also, workers have much better rights in new zealand too.

you can get laid off with no reason in canada whereas in new zealand its much harder to be laid off for no reason!

When i first moved to new zealand I had very little holidays for the first year but it does steadily rise, whereas in canada i had less than very little!!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
30stm - have you considered moving within nz? I know you said your husband's job is in Wanganui, but have you considered moving?

Come to Wellington

Not that I don't disagree with the general concern that NZ can be isolated i guess!
Thanks and yes we are considering moving within new Zealand, but not Wellington although I like Welly the weather would put me off and also so far away from Auckland to see Bands , but thanks anyway
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=grantanddebs;7123127]workers have much better rights in new zealand too.QUOTE]

As long as you make it to 91 days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.