British Invasion

Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:15 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Invasion

Amusing take on the subject in Toby Manhire's piece:

Toby Manhire: Welcome, Brexpats, to our COOL country - Opinion - NZ Herald News

We know you're coming from a wealthy country, but don't expect to be able to leap to the top of the housing market, especially if you settle on Auckland, a city built across an active volcanic field (just kidding, obviously; what kind of lunatics would build a city on a volcanic field).

The best way to get your foot on the property ladder is to start with something modest like a stationwagon, or some corrugated iron.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jmh

Love the humour & style of that piece.

Thanks for sharing that.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 7:49 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I've quoted this from the article as it made me smile:

As you know, life operates at a slower pace down here. Try to leave a decent pause between each word.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh

" In New Zealand, you can soon expect to complete most of your doctory needs at home, simply by logging on to the Community for Online Clinical Health. You'd be amazed what can you can fix with the internet, whisky and a cutlery drawer."

Good old "can do" mentality.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

I didn't know Britain was doing so bad, obviously Brexit seems to have affected it's people much more than i thought
Old Aug 27th 2016, 11:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by paddy234
I didn't know Britain was doing so bad, obviously Brexit seems to have affected it's people much more than i thought
No. I thought you would have had my Mother's humour about you but clearly not.

Where one goes , others follow.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
I don't believe it is. It was just scaremongering and blind panic. Not a reason to up sticks and move to a country you know little about without doing a lot of research.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

When I was stood in a massive queue yesterday at Harry Potter World waiting for us and our kids to have contents of our bags emptied onto a table and examined and uniformed men passing hand held body scanners over us I whistfully thought of NZ. Then I remembered having to check our bags in mueums there, so nowhere is safe from threat. I was however considerably less aware of it there than here.

As for Brexit, literally the ONLY thing that I've noticed as a result of it is the plummeting exchange rate. I don't know of anyone who has been affected.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damson
When I was stood in a massive queue yesterday at Harry Potter World waiting for us and our kids to have contents of our bags emptied onto a table and examined and uniformed men passing hand held body scanners over us I whistfully thought of NZ. Then I remembered having to check our bags in mueums there, so nowhere is safe from threat. I was however considerably less aware of it there than here.

As for Brexit, literally the ONLY thing that I've noticed as a result of it is the plummeting exchange rate. I don't know of anyone who has been affected.
We only need one security incident here and we will have the same problem with security issues. I like to think it won't happen here but why should NZ be any different.
On the Brexit issue it has badly affected our uk pension, which is paid into a uk bank and we bring money out as we need it, so we're at the mercy of the falling exchange rate. Hopefully it will improve in time. Some immigrants choose to have the NZ pension in lieu of their uk pension.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayandbill
We only need one security incident here and we will have the same problem with security issues. I like to think it won't happen here but why should NZ be any different.
On the Brexit issue it has badly affected our uk pension, which is paid into a uk bank and we bring money out as we need it, so we're at the mercy of the falling exchange rate. Hopefully it will improve in time. Some immigrants choose to have the NZ pension in lieu of their uk pension.
Changing to a NZ state pension is easy, it is a higher rate than the uk one and obviously unaffected by exchange rate fluctuations. Assuming you are declaring your uk pensions for nz tax you would be a couple of thousand dollars better off, even if you are still on a tax holiday I think you would at a minimum break even.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kotare
Changing to a NZ state pension is easy, it is a higher rate than the uk one and obviously unaffected by exchange rate fluctuations. Assuming you are declaring your uk pensions for nz tax you would be a couple of thousand dollars better off, even if you are still on a tax holiday I think you would at a minimum break even.
We did look into switching but decided we personally wouldn't benefit. My husband has a military pension and a private pension in uk so it's complicated. We of course do have to declare the uk income and consequently miss out on the 10,500 GBP tax free allowance. There's no such allowance here.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

We did look into switching but decided we personally wouldn't benefit. My husband has a military pension and a private pension in uk so it's complicated. We of course do have to declare the uk income and consequently miss out on the 10,500 GBP tax free allowance. There's no such allowance here.
I understood there was a 4 year nz tax holiday for new migrants (not sure if that applies to you).

I have a uk military pension and my wife a private uk pension but that has no effect on us drawing NZ super.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

I understood there was a 4 year nz tax holiday for new migrants (not sure if that applies to you).

I have a uk military pension and my wife a private uk pension but that has no effect on us drawing NZ super.
We did benefit from the 4 yr tax holiday. Can I ask how is your military pension paid to you. Ours goes into our uk bank, as does the private pension.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

We did benefit from the 4 yr tax holiday. Can I ask how is your military pension paid to you. Ours goes into our uk bank, as does the private pension.
Same, but certainly the military one can be paid straight into your nz account if wished (I feel I can get a better rate - but might be wrong).
Old Sep 27th 2016, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Same, but certainly the military one can be paid straight into your nz account if wished (I feel I can get a better rate - but might be wrong).
How easy was it to transfer your military pension?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.