Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bringing things as new migrant: only by sea?

Bringing things as new migrant: only by sea?

Old Sep 27th 2016, 4:02 am
Just Joined

JohnLH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing things as new migrant: only by sea?

The official immigration website says that for a new migrant you are allowed to bring as much stuff as you want (if you've used it for at least 12 months) without paying and GSP and stuff,
however during my search I found one random forum post by some user who said something like "it turns out that is only true when bringing things by sea", however that unsourced forum post is the only mention I've found of it, I haven't found any mention of it in the official immigration website.

Has anyone else heard of this requirement before?

First of all I'm hoping on the flight I can bring as many expensive things as I want (again assuming 12 months old) but also perhaps I'm considering doing my shipping (few boxes) with air instead of sea.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing things as new migrant: only by sea?

Nah it's the same rule across the board. There is only one government customs department for all imports.
The rule is owned for 12 months and not used. Anything not owned by you for at least 12 months should be declared and you should pay 15% GST on its value + shipping.
If you're shipping stuff in a container or airfreight just don't ship stuff new in boxes. Try to make out it is all used stuff. You'll not be required to prove you've owned it 12 months or over unless you leave an avenue for them to question you.
Airfreight is quicker but a lot more expensive.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:10 am
Just Joined

ah thx

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
unless you leave an avenue for them to question you.
For the stuff I bring on flight I guess that just means they can question me there at the airport if they want, for the shipping I'm not sure what that means.

Currently it's leaning towards the shipping being difficult, because my stuff is in China and the China>NZ shipping companies doesn't seem to know anything about paperwork. so I fear it will be very difficult to get them to correctly tell customs that I'm a new migrant arriving.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 8:07 am
Just Joined

(to clarify my above message my stuff is in China because I lived in China, not because of shipping problems)