Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bringing my dog to NZ. .....?

Bringing my dog to NZ. .....?

Old Mar 18th 2015, 8:55 am
Just Joined

EvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing my dog to NZ. .....?

Again, I find myself pleading for advice from you lovely lot!
Has anyone taken their dog/pet with them when they moved to NZ ? I am curious to know if it's extortionately expensive, and what the protocol and conditions are?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing my dog to NZ. .....?

last I heard was around 2 grand (pounds)
Old Mar 18th 2015, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Baz036 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
last I heard was around 2 grand (pounds)
Yep about that. only saving grace is there is no quarantine if the suitable vet checks are done in the UK.

I joke about the fact that I could have flown business class on the same plane as my dog was on...

Get a good reputable company if considering - makes it a lot easier.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Baz036
Yep about that. only saving grace is there is no quarantine if the suitable vet checks are done in the UK.

I joke about the fact that I could have flown business class on the same plane as my dog was on...

Get a good reputable company if considering - makes it a lot easier.
Sweet b'jeez! The price we pay for our pets ! :O
Old Mar 18th 2015, 7:13 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/li...cats-and-dogs/

also I think the rules changed a couple of years ago and the animals do have to go into quarantine for upto 2 weeks (?)
Old Mar 18th 2015, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quarantine is currently 10 days... We brought our Labrador with us in December. So happy to try and answer any questions. It was a long tough process and it's not cheap but we were never going to leave her behind! We used PetAir UK as they had the option where they dealt with pretty much everything!
Old Mar 18th 2015, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Baz036 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/li...cats-and-dogs/

also I think the rules changed a couple of years ago and the animals do have to go into quarantine for upto 2 weeks (?)
Damn glad we got our in before this - she was angry enough as it was!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

We bought two dogs from UK. Transfer cost approx £2500 (Passport for Pets, based near Heathrow)vet bills approx £1000, NZ quarantine $2000 (10 days) Please bear in mind, once your dog has had its rabies vaccine, it MUST stay in the UK for 6 months. Got my two babies on Monday. Any other questions, fire away.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 3:31 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

My friends just brought his dog over .... £6k ekkkk
Old Mar 24th 2015, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Ouch.....that's obscene!
That's virtually 2 'human' first class tickets! :0
Old Mar 24th 2015, 9:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by EvanM
Ouch.....that's obscene!
That's virtually 2 'human' first class tickets! :0
Ah yes. But if you add the costs of visas & relocation costs for those humans then it may pan out that the humans cost more.

Contact Golden Arrow who have a very good rep. and have a chat.

Also Airpets who are also perfectly reputable.

Please get back to us with what you find out, as it is always good to update for folk like you looking to move to the other side of the world.

We brought our two cats out 11 years ago and I do recall it came at a price. However for me , if my pusscats did not come with me, then I was going nowhere.

and welcome to this wee NZ forum.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

clairesw is an unknown quantity at this point

Can recommend Golden Arrow, they were fabulous with our two boys.
Agree with costs given, but they're part of the family and were always going to come with us.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 9:47 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep airpets is who he used. They have a great reputation x
Old Mar 29th 2015, 12:50 am
Just Joined

MrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of light

We paid £6,500.That was for all the kennelling ,we left them in the UK for 4 weeks ,quarantine and all the final bloods, anti parasite treatments for 2 dogs, one being a big heavy guy.We used Transfur.Andy was fantastic.i was a mess and he's all calm reassurance. He did everything for us.Perhaven quarantine kennels, booked through Andy, were great too, they even emailed us photos of them.
Old May 7th 2015, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Coleyheb is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Golden Arrow, they were excellent. They can help you out assimilating all the costs and contact with the quarantine facility NZ end will help you total up the costs this end.

Expensive, but I wasn't going to leave my boy behind!!