Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bringing cat into NZ

Bringing cat into NZ

Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing cat into NZ

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm shocked and disgusted. If a neighbour has an issue with you keeping a pet cat then they should speak to you about that. After all, perhaps you might have an issue with a dog not kept on a leash.

Some New Zealanders are rabid anti-cat but think it perfectly fine to let a dog off a leash & roam as 'their' dog would never harm anything. Its just being friendly. Yeah! Right!

I would hope that no pet dogs are allowed in that area also, unless trained DOC sniffer dogs.

Here is what DOC have to say.
Agree dogs off a lead unless properly trained/under control are also a pain in the butt, but unusual in a farming area as dogs roaming loose are likely to be shot.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
My three year old loved seeing the bunnies on the lawn until recently there were no more. I was talking to my neighbour the other day and he said his cat was bringing back a dead rabbit nearly every day. Cats that are allowed to roam free killing indiscriminately are a bloody menace, and whilst I don't agree with poisoning them I do deplore their bloody owners that think it OK for their pets to go where they like and do what they like. I've also had enough of scraping their vile shit off my son's gummies as they crap where they want too!
I mean 'REALLY' bunnies on the lawn? Cats will not attack domestic full grown rabbits, they can stick up for themselves big time!
We have hares on our block, they're also classed as pests so we dispatch of them with a rifle which is quick and kind. No lingering for weeks ... seeming to get well, and then developing mouth ulcers and losing any dignity they had.
My pedigree burmese Simba was our last cat I had to have euthanized due to poisoning by the vet, he slept in my bed with me the night before I took him to the vets, he still had enough strength to have a look out the car window on the way there and gave me a last meow as he took his last breath. He was my buddy, my pal and I had him ever since we arrived in NZ and I loved him and someone just thought it was ok to poison him like a pest.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly my cats (when I had them) would take on rabbits.

No one condones poisoning domestic cats. As I said the local conservation group traps them and I suspect anything with a collar is delivered home.

But cats (much more than dogs) are natural predators and should, at a minimum, be kept indoors at night (and ideally behind a cat proof electric fence during the day). If you google cat predation the numbers for mammals and birds killed are horrendous.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
Certainly my cats (when I had them) would take on rabbits.

No one condones poisoning domestic cats. As I said the local conservation group traps them and I suspect anything with a collar is delivered home.

But cats (much more than dogs) are natural predators and should, at a minimum, be kept indoors at night (and ideally behind a cat proof electric fence during the day). If you google cat predation the numbers for mammals and birds killed are horrendous.
Then you don't know rabbits, I bred them for years and they are not to be messed with ... cats will not mess with an adult rabbit.
I won't get into the dog verses cat debate, I don't particularly like dogs but I wouldn't go around poisoning them willy nilly.

As I said in my original post if I knew what I know now I wouldn't bring a domestic cat to NZ as it's so risky unless you plan on having an indoor cat and you can only do that if the cat has never been outside.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 9:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SSky
My pedigree burmese Simba was our last cat I had to have euthanized due to poisoning by the vet, he slept in my bed with me the night before I took him to the vets, he still had enough strength to have a look out the car window on the way there and gave me a last meow as he took his last breath. He was my buddy, my pal and I had him ever since we arrived in NZ and I loved him and someone just thought it was ok to poison him like a pest.
I'm so sad and sorry to read that Ssky. They're our lovely pets aren't they & we love them so just as we would any of our family.
Made me feel very upset for you.

I think we all agree actually. Our domestic cats and dogs needs to be in at night. Dusk to dawn. Dogs taken to walk in and around conservation areas, estuarys etc should be on a lead at all times ( except from what I see they are not ) & a muzzle.

All predatory feral animals need control & eradication. That includes cats & dogs of course.

Oh and totally off topic now but can someone vote in a Minister of Conservation that actually believes in that so our penguins and dolphins are also brought back from the brink.

Anyway. ArthurFowler.

As you will read Ssky has had the most dreadful time over her lovely pet cats & it does illustrate how some can be towards them.

I brought two cats with me 12 yrs ago from the UK . I have just the younger one now and he is 18 yrs old. They both settled well . The process to bring them over was quite simple an the pet carrier guided us throughout.

I am in a village environment and many folk around me have both pet cats and dogs. Someone hurt a pet here and there would be a lynching as everyone knows everyone. Heck. We even have a village cat.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm so sad and sorry to read that Ssky. They're our lovely pets aren't they & we love them so just as we would any of our family.
Made me feel very upset for you.
Thank you BEVS, I couldn't bury him straight away when I brought him back home from the vets, I kept him for a whole day and night curled in his basket on his favourite blanket by the fire before I could accept he was gone.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 12:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SSky
Thank you BEVS, I couldn't bury him straight away when I brought him back home from the vets, I kept him for a whole day and night curled in his basket on his favourite blanket by the fire before I could accept he was gone.
Totally understand. After all people hold wakes for people don't they.

When my Hollycat had to be put to sleep we kept him overnight . We had him cremated & his ashes sit beside his wee photo. It is arranged he will be scattered to the winds with us and Ty once we are also no more.

They hold our hearts .
Old Oct 6th 2016, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point

It cost $1600 for everything for a dog in Oct last year, shouldn't be that much for a cat.
When you say everything, does $1600 cover shipping from UK to NZ, as well as quarantine fees?? If so, I've been ripped off!
Old Oct 6th 2016, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

The $1600 is for the NZ end, the UK transport charge etc will be circa £2.5k (for a dog).
See my earlier post