Reload this Page >

Brand New to the process!!!!

Brand New to the process!!!!

Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Northern Man 49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brand New to the process!!!!

Hello there
We’re looking to move to NZ from England and frankly need some advice. I understand that it’s wise to secure employment before applying for the visa (Is this correct) but do we need a sponsor?

Secondly just a query on the cost of living, etc. I hear differing comments but if it’s financially impossible then it would seem it’s a non-starter before we even make any kind of plan. If the income was e.g. £50k in the UK with about £100k equity in the house what would be comparable?

It looks that our jobs are not on the shortage list so I wonder if we’re already at a disadvantage (worked as a Care Commissioner and Senior Business Officer (IT application), my wife is an Admin Supervisor). Our ages are the wrong side of 40 so it doesn’t help. Are we flogging a dead horse before we submit an expression of interest?

A lot of questions so any comments for a new lad would be brilliant. Our rugby loving daughter would probably come separately after Uni in a couple of years (unless we start the ball rolling now…?)

Any pointers would be really great. We’ve been 3 times and love the place

Cheers
Old Jan 9th 2017, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brand New to the process!!!!

Originally Posted by Northern Man 49
Hello there
We’re looking to move to NZ from England and frankly need some advice. I understand that it’s wise to secure employment before applying for the visa (Is this correct) but do we need a sponsor?

Secondly just a query on the cost of living, etc. I hear differing comments but if it’s financially impossible then it would seem it’s a non-starter before we even make any kind of plan. If the income was e.g. £50k in the UK with about £100k equity in the house what would be comparable?

It looks that our jobs are not on the shortage list so I wonder if we’re already at a disadvantage (worked as a Care Commissioner and Senior Business Officer (IT application), my wife is an Admin Supervisor). Our ages are the wrong side of 40 so it doesn’t help. Are we flogging a dead horse before we submit an expression of interest?

A lot of questions so any comments for a new lad would be brilliant. Our rugby loving daughter would probably come separately after Uni in a couple of years (unless we start the ball rolling now…?)

Cheers
First things first look at both the skilled employment list, to see if your job roles are in there. This will dictate what visa is appropriate for you certain employers (district health boards for example) can sponsor for a work/talent visa if you don't have enough points for residency straight away, beating in mind it's now 160 just to get an invitation to apply..your ages will affect your points however my mother in law got her permanent residency at 50

Last edited by inkedneonurse; Jan 9th 2017 at 1:12 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there

Cheers
Hi
Why NZ? Ever been? What area are you thinking of?
What are you hoping NZ brings to your life? What are you moving away from in the UK?
We moved there without jobs, but its not advised and may not work.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:39 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as already stated it really does depend on whether you can get jobs, its job offer first then a visa if you are not already over the 160 points.

As for you daughter coming she would have to apply on her own merits after uni unless you can prove that she is financially dependent on you if she does not come over with you, so there is no guarantee that she would gain a long term visa.

50K in NZ dollars at todays rate is $86,557.
if you are looking for mortgage at the moment, in most cases, the deposit requirement is 20%.

You do need to remember that you are taxed on every cent you earn, there is no NI so you pay for your visits to GP and hospitals most of the time.

Please search around the forum for cost of living etc.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jan 9th 2017 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there and welcome to BritishExpats and the New Zealand forum.

It doesn't say in my profile but i emigrated to New Zealand 13 years ago.

Your first focus has to be whether or not you can uplift visas to live and work here.

Yes. For a temporary work visa it is a job offer first before visa application.

For residency it will be either the skilled migrant route which is a points based system -- and which often needs a job offer to gain enough points these days
or
it could be a work to residence visa where you gain a job offer from what is called an accredited employer and you stay with them for 2 years and then apply to become resident.

That is in simple terms of course.

With regard to your daughter, you would need to factor that into any current application whilst she is dependent on you. If you leave that until after the event then she would be classed as independent and would have to make her own application . Families have come unstuck with this , with their child unable to gain entry to NZ so take a care with that one.

Care Commissioner and Senior Business Officer (IT application)
What is this?
Do you hold a degree for this occupation.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Off topic posts moved from the thread . Thanks
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks to all replies, I really appreciate it.
Ok, some answers. I graduated recently with 1st Class Honours in Applied Business Management, inc. an FdSc in Project Management. The Mrs is a qualified Confection & Patissierrre. I reckon she has more of a USP but open to comments on this.

Truth is we love the whole vibe and fell in love with the place from the 1st moment. Have visited Tauranga, Napier, Taupo, Rotarua and Wellington in the NI and Christchurch and Blenheim in the South. Don't really mind where we end up tbh but would prefer the Southern half of the NI (family reasons - Mrs brother lives in Wellington with his Kiwi wife).
Do you recommend going through an agent to help the application? Seems sensible....

We're leaving family behind but we're comfortable with this; besides we all feel we have to live our own lives. Sounds selfish, but I want a better existence for my girls.

Comments welcome
Old Oct 24th 2017, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Just a thought... A lot of my career has been spent working for Governments. Would this help, hinder or neither? Have worked in Commissioning and Data Analysis
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

MrsFychan, I think its worth pointing out that although income tax is paid on every dollar earned, because the rates are lower, someone on an average income or above still ends up paying less income tax here. Plus public hospital visits are free. But you are right to point out the difficulty Northern Man may have obtaining a visa, especially as the new govt has said they intend to dramatically slash immigration.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Northern Man, have you filled out the points calculator for a skilled migrant visa? This is the best way to find out if you might be eligible for permanent residency. You need to get to 160 points or above.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think I would be on the optimistic side though, given your qualifications. Good luck.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
50K in NZ dollars at todays rate is $86,557.

Yeah, nah but don't be fooled into thinking that NZ$86K will afford you anything like a UK 50k lifestyle.

For some context, NZ$86K would be the approximate salary for a senior Nurse.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Hi all
Sorry ,another query - I've been looking at a few jobs in the Wellington, New Plymouth and Palmerston North areas (preferred locations) to see what's out there. Some jobs are advertised without showing a salary. I'm told that there is a minimum start level of $55k.
If the salary isn't shown, how do we know to apply for it or not?
Old Oct 27th 2017, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Daisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
Sorry ,another query - I've been looking at a few jobs in the Wellington, New Plymouth and Palmerston North areas (preferred locations) to see what's out there. Some jobs are advertised without showing a salary. I'm told that there is a minimum start level of $55k.
If the salary isn't shown, how do we know to apply for it or not?
Salaries are the best kept secrets in NZ! They don't want to pay what the job is worth if they can get you for less!! The best way to get an idea is to use the minimum salary as a search criterion in the various job websites.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

All..
I think this might be dead in the water already. I see the Minimum EOI is 160 points. I'll struggle to get that even though I have a First Degree, a number of years experience in either an SMC or LSSL field.
My issue is getting an employer to even look at applications, never mind consider me for interview. It seems not many (if any) will look at you if you don't have a visa!!!!

This goes back to job or visa first.... if the employers wont look at you, how can you get the visa - and how can you get a visa without a job offer?

Someone please help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.