Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

To book or not to book ... that is the ?......

To book or not to book ... that is the ?......

Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

LoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant future
Default To book or not to book ... that is the ?......

Hiya, we're going out to New Zealand at the beginning of September and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/experience please whether we need to pre-book sites around the north island before we leave, or whether this time of year we could 'go with the flow' kind of thing??

On the one hand we don't want to be tied in to being at certain places at certain times, but if we get to places and they're all booked up - that would be awful too!! We're hoping to emigrate next year and are coming out for a reccie.

Any advice/past experiences much appreciated!
Thanks, Lou

Last edited by LoobyHighland; Aug 20th 2008 at 1:54 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To book or not to book ... that is the ?......

We have visited our family twice but went off by ourselves for 10 days and we just rang a motel or similar the day before. This was in January the first time & February this year. (their summer) We did not have any trouble getting accommodation so it should be OK out of season.

There is a good book you can get for free with accommodation in all parts of NZ.

June

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Aug 20th 2008 at 2:26 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

summer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LoobyHighland
Hiya, we're going out to New Zealand at the beginning of September and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/experience please whether we need to pre-book sites around the north island before we leave, or whether this time of year we could 'go with the flow' kind of thing??

On the one hand we don't want to be tied in to being at certain places at certain times, but if we get to places and they're all booked up - that would be awful too!! We're hoping to emigrate next year and are coming out for a reccie.

Any advice/past experiences much appreciated!
Thanks, Lou
hi there we also are leaving for nz but we are gonig on the 26th august and we are going to the south were i have a job waiting for me. We have not booked anything yet as we spoke to a few people over ther and we were told there is an abundance of hotels motels property to look at even the hire car we have not booked yet infact the only thing we have done apart from shipping our beongings is change money up to dollars. We are getting nervous thou and excited at the same time , it seems like a holiday , don't think its really sunk in yet , how about you how are you feeling ?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

LoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant future

Hiya, many thanks to you both for your replies. I thought it wouldn't be too booked up at this time of year, but always great to get other peoples experiences too.

I think its fantastic that you're going out at the end of the month (summer99), I bet you're heads spinning!! We're 50/50 at the moment about going as we've four kids in tow, and know that it may be a bit of a struggle to achieve similar out in NZ what we have here in the UK. Saying that, life is a big adventure and sometimes you have to just go for it! We've been really really lucky as we got on to a BBC tv programme and although we're being filmed the first week, we've got the second week to ourselves and are going to make the most of it and travel around the North Island. I would love to see the South Island too but we just don't have enough time. Looks absolutely breathtaking though. I'm sure you'll have a ball.
All the best, Lou x
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, many thanks to you both for your replies. I thought it wouldn't be too booked up at this time of year, but always great to get other peoples experiences too.

I think its fantastic that you're going out at the end of the month (summer99), I bet you're heads spinning!! We're 50/50 at the moment about going as we've four kids in tow, and know that it may be a bit of a struggle to achieve similar out in NZ what we have here in the UK. Saying that, life is a big adventure and sometimes you have to just go for it! We've been really really lucky as we got on to a BBC tv programme and although we're being filmed the first week, we've got the second week to ourselves and are going to make the most of it and travel around the North Island. I would love to see the South Island too but we just don't have enough time. Looks absolutely breathtaking though. I'm sure you'll have a ball.
All the best, Lou x

What's this BBC programme I don't want to miss it? Let me know when its on please. Send me a PM.

June
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hi June, have sent you a PM. New to this site - so hope it gets to you ok! Lou x
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Post Re: To book or not to book ... that is the ?......

What's this BBC programme I don't want to miss it? Let me know when its on please.

oh me too please

ta nic
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:07 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best, Lou x
We did what you're doing, a campervan reccie of both islands with 4 kids! Absolutely funtastic - I'd love to do it all again - but sadly we live here in a house now!!

We didn't book anything - which is just as well as we found everything took a lot longer to get to and to explore once there so our itinerary such as it was got abandoned on about day 4!

Enjoy - it is such a blast!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

We've been really really lucky as we got on to a BBC tv programme and although we're being filmed the first week, we've got the second week to ourselves and are going to make the most of it and travel around the North Island. All the best, Lou x
Do tell about the TV programme, pretty please
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Do tell about the TV programme, pretty please
I think LoobyHighland is away for a few days but she sent me a PM and it will be screened next Jan/Feb.

June
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya, sorry I took so long to reply! The tv programme is called 'Wanted Down Under', and its on BBC1. It'll be screened from Jan '09, and usually lasts about 4-6 weeks. Its a morning tv show, but I think for this series (3) they may air it at tea time as well, on BBC2, as it's a popular programme. I don't know if you've heard of it but its really interesting and follows families/couples who are trying to decide whether to emigrate or not. 20 families have been selected in total; 13 for Australia, and 7 for New Zealand. This year there were over 5000 applications! We've had our couple of days filming here at home, and are now going out to New Plymouth for six days filming out there, from 5th Sept. It's exhausting, and they follow you everywhere, but I'm not complaining in the slightest as its such a fantastic opportunity, and we feel incredibly lucky to have got through. I just hope the show represents us accurately, as we have no say on the editing etc!!There is a dedicated 'Wanted Down Under - NZ' British Expat Forum, where everyone shares ideas and comments etc. Please let me know if you've any questions as I'd be delighted to help. TTFN, Lou x
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Am Loolah, thanks for the heads up re the camper van. Sounds like you had a blast!! I hope we have the same adventure as you had. I just want to 'go with the flow', but my OH wants to pre-book everything! I've showed him your message and he's warming more to my way! Lou x
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: To book or not to book ... that is the ?......

Originally Posted by summer99
hi there we also are leaving for nz but we are gonig on the 26th august and we are going to the south were i have a job waiting for me. We have not booked anything yet as we spoke to a few people over ther and we were told there is an abundance of hotels motels property to look at even the hire car we have not booked yet infact the only thing we have done apart from shipping our beongings is change money up to dollars. We are getting nervous thou and excited at the same time , it seems like a holiday , don't think its really sunk in yet , how about you how are you feeling ?
Bring plenty of warm clothing its been freezing down there lately (and everywhere else......Lots of fresh snow down south you will feel like you havent left home lol
Enjoy your journey!
Cheers
Cally
Old Aug 24th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Post Re: To book or not to book ... that is the ?......

Hi Am Loolah, thanks for the heads up re the camper van. Sounds like you had a blast!! I hope we have the same adventure as you had. I just want to 'go with the flow', but my OH wants to pre-book everything! I've showed him your message and he's warming more to my way! Lou x
We hired a campervan on our reccie with two kids and it was amazing, I'm normally the sort of person who books everything and likes a schedule of where and when we're going, but NZ transformed me. It was great just going where you wanted, stopped in some lovely places right by the sea, stayed the night and waking up to great views. From one "anal" person to another go with the flow! You won't regret it...

nic
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lou, if you have a camper van you're usually OK for a site, if you're going for the Cabins on a camp site it might be worth ringing the day before to check availability. Have a great time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.