Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Boat maintenance etc etc

Boat maintenance etc etc

Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold
Default Boat maintenance etc etc

Hello all,

We've just (finally) bought a ski boat and would appreciate any tips and recommendations concerning maintenance/servicing of the boat etc. We live in Birkdale. Looking for someone who is reliable and not expensive either when it comes to a service.

I've been on Trademe to look for a few accessories that are needed. Again if you have any pointers I'll be most appreciatiative -

Ski rope (short V)
Ski rope (long V)
2 stroke oil for a Mercury engine 115hp
Have a foot pump that will pump up one doughnut as it has a small standard inlet (like the inflatables that you blow up for the kids) but the other one has a much bigger hole to fill if i want to put some air in it. Can i get some sort of adaptor from somewhere?

Is there a slalom course in Hobsonville or is that just a rumour? Id be launching normally from Island Bay wharf - any tips on good ski areas?

cheers
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boat maintenance etc etc

Try Bretts (www.brettsmarine.co.nz) at Forrest Hill for servicing.

For the pump have a look at some airbed pumps as I think they have a variety of adaptors sometimes.

Have a look at Coastguard courses as well and would recommend membership as they are also like the AA recovery but for the water in case you ever need it.

Don't know about the rest I'm afraid but good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boat maintenance etc etc

We buy a lot of our boat bits and pieces, including ski biscuit gear from Burnscos - a large retail chain found throughout NZ. Have not had any issues with the quality of goods.
OH flushes out the engine and washes the boat down with this special soapy stuff called "Salt Away". It has reduced our boat servicing bills considerably, so I'm happy to recommend it.
He's done a Day Skipper Course and we joined our local Coastguard. I try to avoid anything to do with the boat, but have had to learn the basics incase I ever have to take over from the captain Have fun!

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Jan 20th 2014 at 4:45 am. Reason: Gram