Bloody Telecom

Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bloody Telecom

God i'm so bloody annoyed i just need to moan.
we are moving out of our rental place on saturday and into our lovely
new home.
The new place is only about a mile from the rental.
I rang telecom today to get our phone and internet swtched over only to be
told that we cannot have broadband at the new place for AT LEAST 6 months :curse:
Telecom said there is an equipment shortage. This means they have done nothing
to upgrade their exchanges in the area even though they have known there are
three new and relatively new (less than 3 years old) sub divisions in the area
all with a few hundred yards of each other.
The planning and infostructre of some NZ private and public oranisations is a bloody joke.
There are probably 3rd world countries with better technicalogical services than here.
I dont think its anything to with a lack of expertise its more to do with telecom
having a momopoly on the phone stytems and exchanges. They are happy to
simply sit on their arses doing nothing to upgrade on a mass scale while raking in the money.
So as from saturday i'm going to be stuck with ridiculasly slow dial up internet.
Its not just personal users who suffer, many buisnesses also have to operate
with these outdated systems.
This is the 21st century for gods sake.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:13 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bloody Telecom

Oh dear whinging pom comes to mind.....its not the UK....

chill...
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Good on yer for the moan Colandros. Yes it is backward in lots of respects and you could just chill and suffer the kiwi way or you can stick two fingers up to Telecom as soon as you get the chance. As soon as my local loop is unbundled I'm off to another provider and Telecom can stick their $80 a month broadband where the sun don't shine!! Bloody dinosaurs!! Just like the GPO in the '80s.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest you look at the vodafone and telecom (or perhaps not...) mobile broadband plans - the speed is up to 1Mbps and the charges are quite reasonable provided you're not a heavy user.
Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience but a bit of a cliche to trot out the "3rd world country" rubbish - a classic WP line I'm afraid. You're right about Telecom and their monopoly, the sooner this gets broken down, the better - and good on David Cunliffe for getting on with it.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I'd suggest you look at the vodafone and telecom (or perhaps not...) mobile broadband plans - the speed is up to 1Mbps and the charges are quite reasonable provided you're not a heavy user.
Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience but a bit of a cliche to trot out the "3rd world country" rubbish - a classic WP line I'm afraid. You're right about Telecom and their monopoly, the sooner this gets broken down, the better - and good on David Cunliffe for getting on with it.
The third world country line is invariably trotted out about the UK and about NZ, by folks who have never actually visited the third world.
Can understand the frustration though...I'd rather die than go back to dial-up....my whinge owing to lack of competition here is the download limits...but it will all change with time..even the things we'd rather stayed stuck back a bit.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:48 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Competition is what's needed to rectify these 'faults'

Pauline
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

6 months isn't bad.
Where we lived in the UK, a large town, we didn't have broadband & it still won't be available until 2011!! Same reason, out of date exchange.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

they are called Teleclown for a reason
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:02 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mickey_d
6 months isn't bad.
Where we lived in the UK, a large town, we didn't have broadband & it still won't be available until 2011!! Same reason, out of date exchange.
Well as I said whinging poms lol....

we have vodafone no problem with this but we had to wait a couple of months...he has to have patience and chill like you catching your fish..
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Well as I said whinging poms lol....

we have vodafone no problem with this but we had to wait a couple of months...he has to have patience and chill like you catching your fish..
I waited just 4 weeks to get Telstra Clear broadband when I moved into the new (my own) flat in Welly. (so I lived without internet at home for 4 weeks :curse at least it wasn't 4 months...huh....... they are reasonably okay, though - bloody expensive yes. I am terrible at relocating myself (I don't like undergoing a change) or moving flat or country or something similar. At least I had Mr Davies with me when we moved to NZ from UK , and he organized everything in advance therefore we didn't have to wait too long (Telelcom ) and didn't have too much trouble BUt now he is not here any more .....I am a bloody disorganized person (recently) and wait/leave everything until the last minute (even work) I think that's why I am stuck here in Welly and can't even go back to the u.k (to follow Mr Davies)...... too lazy ...........think I am too old now.

Last edited by crap coffee; Aug 12th 2008 at 1:29 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:37 pm

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colandros
God i'm so bloody annoyed i just need to moan.
we are moving out of our rental place on saturday and into our lovely
new home.
The new place is only about a mile from the rental.
I rang telecom today to get our phone and internet swtched over only to be
told that we cannot have broadband at the new place for AT LEAST 6 months :curse:
Telecom said there is an equipment shortage. This means they have done nothing
to upgrade their exchanges in the area even though they have known there are
three new and relatively new (less than 3 years old) sub divisions in the area
all with a few hundred yards of each other.
The planning and infostructre of some NZ private and public oranisations is a bloody joke.
There are probably 3rd world countries with better technicalogical services than here.
I dont think its anything to with a lack of expertise its more to do with telecom
having a momopoly on the phone stytems and exchanges. They are happy to
simply sit on their arses doing nothing to upgrade on a mass scale while raking in the money.
So as from saturday i'm going to be stuck with ridiculasly slow dial up internet.
Its not just personal users who suffer, many buisnesses also have to operate
with these outdated systems.
This is the 21st century for gods sake.
We have the exact same thing here in the rural BOP... no problem getting a phone line with Telecom but no broadband so we use a private company (EOL in Tauranga) and pay around $40 a month for wireless.

I did a google and this came up. It could be something to consider if you don't want to wait 6 months. Otherwise I'd call a local computer place and see what else may be on offer in your area.

http://www.skynetnz.com/
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:16 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal
We have the exact same thing here in the rural BOP... no problem getting a phone line with Telecom but no broadband so we use a private company (EOL in Tauranga) and pay around $40 a month for wireless.

I did a google and this came up. It could be something to consider if you don't want to wait 6 months. Otherwise I'd call a local computer place and see what else may be on offer in your area.

http://www.skynetnz.com/
Like Mickey_d, where we were in the UK we had dial up and after several weeks on the phone trying to sort the broadband with BT were told their exchange didn't cover our address? After they'd happily delivered our free router!:curse:

But here we've had absolutely no problems with Telecom.

Funny how things vary from place to place.

Good luck, hope you get sorted soon.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal
We have the exact same thing here in the rural BOP... no problem getting a phone line with Telecom but no broadband

We had exactly the same problem in suburban Auckland, hardly out in the wop wops. Seems that if you buy a new house it takes a while for it to register that they need to stretch the wires a bit and put some new boxes in the new roads. The usual excuse is that they have a shortage of equipment and have to wait for more to arrive from overseas.

Colandros, when you are new here, it can come seem as though the whole country is against you; a little bit 'third world' and backwards, but it will grow on you. You either lower your expectations and accept these things as the norm or you quickly end up fitting the reputation of your stereotypical whinging pom.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Like Mickey_d, where we were in the UK we had dial up and after several weeks on the phone trying to sort the broadband with BT were told their exchange didn't cover our address? After they'd happily delivered our free router!:curse:

But here we've had absolutely no problems with Telecom.

Funny how things vary from place to place.

Good luck, hope you get sorted soon.

Same here, we've got a BT Router as well, they told us we couldn't have broadband on installation day
Old Aug 14th 2008, 4:34 am
Just Joined

wotif is on a distinguished road

6 months to get internet access seems a valid reason to rant. 30stm 's comment about 'winging pom' is somewhat tiresome - move on! . There are lots of great things about NZ but Telecom's stangle-hold on the internet isn't one of them. Competition in this sector has to be a good thing and will improve things in the future. NZ has one of the highest usage of the internet and is a handy way to keep in touch with the rest of the world that is mostly a long way away. Many years ago there was massive investment in the 'net' here with world leading optical cables laid underground to provide high speed internet service - these have never been utilised - room for improvement aknowledged by the locals and anyone else who needs to use the net.

Telecom need a rant now and again - there's room for improvement!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.