Reload this Page >

Help me to decide where to settle

Help me to decide where to settle

Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:41 am
Just Joined

kaoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help me to decide where to settle

Hello,

I am a fresh graduate from Eastern Europe who is coming to NZ within two months.
I have the opportunity to stay in NZ for one year, to work there, to travel, to study, well to reside there in a way I want.

Now, NZ is quite big and consists of two islands and is a place of incredibly beautiful nature! That's what I like the most about it.

So, I need to decide where I would like to stay and I prefer nature, fresh air and this kind of stuff over a big city.
I have worked in Sun Valley, USA and I liked it so much, because it has all those things mentioned before. It's a big skiing resort and it employs a lot of people.

I am wondering, is there anything similar in NZ? Some kind of resorts that I could try to get a job? I would really like to work in a resort or some kind of surfboarding area and to experience that beautiful nature in NZ.

So, which place in NZ should I choose?
What are the biggest resorts there?

Any advice highly appreciated!
Thank you!
Old Sep 26th 2017, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me to decide where to settle

If you want holiday season work then maybe Coromandel or Mt Maunganui.

Queenstown for Skiing

Lots of ther places for surfing https://www.surfingnz.co.nz/ for some ideas.

Piha and other West Auckland coast are a bit mentals with surfing - not holiday resort though. Other big surfing favourite is Raglan (Hamilton area).
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply.

I guess queenstown is not an option for me, since I will be arriving in the beginning of the summer season.
If there is anybody who knows some resort companies which hire for the season please feel free to share them.
Thanks!
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Queenstown is busy at all times of the year; not just for skiiing.

I don't know what sort of work you would consider but assuming hospitality then I think it's a matter of being here word of mouth on who's hiring and checking out local ads, notices in shop windows and such like. You could sign up with local Facebook community pages; there's some dedicated to overseas visitors and 'hospo' work.

e.g. https://www.facebook.com/queenstown.jobs.nz/
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Where should I go if I want to work anything that's related to surfing?
Beautiful landscape is a big advantage too!
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Mt Maunganui near Tauranga would probably be the big surfie resort over summer. Whereas the best actual surf waves I hear might be Raglan to the west of Hamilton. A surf culture but only a small town. But my suggestion would be to start in Auckland for a couple of weeks, take a few trips out to Piha and get talking to people at the surfclub there for advise.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Piha is about 45 minutes drive west from the centre of Auckland.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Its hard to think of what sort of job you might get in the surfing line to be honest. Most surf beaches have surf lifesaving patrols but they are mostly unpaid jobs I think. There are surfboard and clothing shops. I dont know what else. Most people in your position would surf during the morning and do something like bar or restaurant work in the afternoon and evening.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

I see. So probably there are not that many opportunities for me to work in surf field.

What about any other outdoor activities? Starting from bungy jumping, mount biking, hiking etc. finishing to anything that would enable me to experience wildlife of NZ? Like for example I saw an advertisement that some company is looking for a fish ranger, I am not exactly sure what this is, but it sounds exciting, since I would not be able to do anything close to that back home. For example I would love to work in a forest where I need to drive or take care of the trees or something.

I have had some waiting and bar jobs, I would like to try something really new, something that is NZish.

I could not think it would so difficult to explain such an easy thing - what I would like to do haha.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

I think a fish ranger is someone who makes sure fishermen keep within the regulations. You would have much more chance being one of the fishermen than a ranger. Adventure tourism is big here. Thats mainly in the South Island but theres also a lot in the Rotorua - Taupo area. Mountain biking, fishing, louging etc. Can only wish you luck. A NZish job is more to do with farming, forestry and fruit picking though, involves labouring and is somewhat less romantic than you are thinking. Your best opportunity for the type of work you are looking for is probably the ski resorts over winter. Someone else might have a better idea.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 7:02 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Help me to decide where to settle

Originally Posted by kaoo
NZ is quite big and consists of two islands...

"Dear Stewart Island,

We're breaking up with you. It's not you it's us...two is a couple but three's a crowd. We've talk to Australia and they'll take you now. I expect we'll be friends still..."
Old Oct 4th 2017, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by garethwm
I think a fish ranger is someone who makes sure fishermen keep within the regulations. You would have much more chance being one of the fishermen than a ranger. Adventure tourism is big here. Thats mainly in the South Island but theres also a lot in the Rotorua - Taupo area. Mountain biking, fishing, louging etc. Can only wish you luck. A NZish job is more to do with farming, forestry and fruit picking though, involves labouring and is somewhat less romantic than you are thinking. Your best opportunity for the type of work you are looking for is probably the ski resorts over winter. Someone else might have a better idea.
Thank you for your advice!
I took some notes on the places you advised me to visit and look for a job.

How people usually look for a job in NZ? Is it very dependent on personal connections and contacts you have made or people use agencies services or leave their CV at the places?
Old Oct 4th 2017, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You could do woofing https://wwoof.nz/
Old Oct 4th 2017, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
You could do woofing https://wwoof.nz/
Do I understand right, that this is an unpaid opportunity? If so, this option is not right for me, as I need money to earn to be able to travel after my work.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the wrong country to come to then ha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.