Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Best Schools in New Zealand

Best Schools in New Zealand

Old Dec 20th 2006, 4:59 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Schools in New Zealand

Originally Posted by happynz
I was chatting with a secondary teacher recently and she remarked that the biggest differance that she can see is that decile 10 kids can afford better drugs and booze whilst decile 1 students get wrecked on alcopops.
what a sad comment. and the kids are obviously not that bright for a teacher to know such things.

what drugs specifically would school aged kids be using (in decile 10 schools)? surely drugs are not that prolific amongst secondary school aged kids coming from the most professional and affluent backgrounds. 16+ would be a much more normal age surely?!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:13 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
...surely drugs are not that prolific amongst secondary school aged kids coming from the most professional and affluent backgrounds.
You find it surprising that affluent kids get f'd-up? Getting 'faced' seems to part of a rite of passage for many Kiwi youngsters regardless of their socio-economic status.
I'm not saying that all kids are like this, not even the majority, but there is a significant number of adolescents into mind altering substances, be they legal ones or not.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:24 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Getting 'faced' seems to part of a rite of passage for many Kiwi youngsters regardless of their socio-economic status.
I think to some degree this is the same in many countries, the UK included. It is more to do with the nature of the youngsters involved, their upbringing and peers than socio-economic status per se.

I'm not as naive as to think that 'rich' kids don't get stoned/high/faced or whatever. BUT I would have thought that this would be much more common in lower socio-economic areas where children are not as well looked after generally speaking (ie reduced good parenting skills, higher rates of absent parents, single parents, very young parents, unemployment, low incomes etc) and where truency rates are also higher. That is not to imply anything specifically negative about any of these 'groups' of people in particular - eg I know of some fabulous (single) parents.

However, I would therefore find it very hard to believe that these issues are as prevalent in decile 10 as decile 1 schools, or is this simply not the case in NZ?
Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:37 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Getting 'faced' seems to part of a rite of passage for many Kiwi youngsters regardless of their socio-economic status.
It's the same in the US. It's rife. So much for the "War on Drugs". What a farce.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

ssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to all

Any information on decent schools in the Balclutha/Dunedin area's for children aged 4, 12, 14 would be greatly received. As previously stated the rating does not mean it is a good learning place for kids, so any 1st hand experience or word of mouth would be great.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:55 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ssnjeff
Any information on decent schools in the Balclutha/Dunedin area's for children aged 4, 12, 14 would be greatly received. As previously stated the rating does not mean it is a good learning place for kids, so any 1st hand experience or word of mouth would be great.
I could recommend a great Montesorri in South Dunedin, and for the older kids it probably depends on whether you want co-ed or single sex, academic, sporting or more artsy.

If you are looking to work at the prison (wild guess on my part) then Mosgiel would be a good place to live, IMO.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I was chatting with a secondary teacher recently and she remarked that the biggest differance that she can see is that decile 10 kids can afford better drugs and booze whilst decile 1 students get wrecked on alcopops.
Funny that I heard a very similar tale from someone who teaches in one of Aucklands 'Best' schools.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 11:13 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo-ann hodgson
Hi, with regards that last post I was wondering if I could use some of your comments as quotes?

If so please email me on [email protected],

thanks for all your help,
Jo-ann

Hi, my husband is a Kiwi and he went to Rangitoto School in the North Shore of Auckland, that's supposed to be one of the best in the country, people move to be part of the radius that allows kids to apply.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

It would be good if you could use your article to try and clear up the misunderstanding that a school's decile rating has anything to do with it's achievement!!

It's purely about the socio-economic background of the pupils (as has been stated). My dp's school is trying to get moved DOWN a point so they can get more funding...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:45 am
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

In simple terms is there a website that lists the results of schools in NZ. Not a silly decile rating but accurate results of academic achievements by individual schools.
I be buggered if I can find one
Maybe the NZ education system does not want one as certain schools would be flooded with applications leaving the poor performing ones standing empty.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:56 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't pay any attention to the decile ratings ... as long as my kids are happy and confident and enjoying school life then Im happy too.
School for my kids in the uk was oppressive and grey and not very enjoyable so the daily school life here is just so fantastic. It's one of the main reasons I'm still here
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:11 am
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

Originally Posted by sky
I don't pay any attention to the decile ratings ... as long as my kids are happy and confident and enjoying school life then Im happy too.
School for my kids in the uk was oppressive and grey and not very enjoyable so the daily school life here is just so fantastic. It's one of the main reasons I'm still here
Totally agree with you Sky.
Would be helpful though, for new migrants to have a guide as to which is actually a good school rather than how much the parents earn. When you are new to an area you have no idea on the historic reputation of a local school. So we all must continue to gamble with our childrens education and take the advice of real estate agents.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:22 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yep that's true too but we take that risk when we come here don't we as expats and lets face it no nz schools can be worse than the uk ones.
I've tended towards rural schools and they are so lovely and if you are willing to join in and volunteer you soon get to know how fab the education your children are getting here really is .