Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Best flight/airline price to the UK in the next 2 to 3 months?

Best flight/airline price to the UK in the next 2 to 3 months?

Old Feb 8th 2016, 2:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Best flight/airline price to the UK in the next 2 to 3 months?

I know. I am probably being a bit lazy.

Anyone have any current experience or thoughts about the most cost effective flights back to the UK in the next 8 to 12weeks please? It would be into Birmingham airport.

My MIL passed away the Friday before last. MrBEVS has chosen not to go back for her funeral , however he wishes to return a bit later on to help his his elderly uncle(s) .

Looking online quickly, it seems that Emirates comes out tops for the first time in ages at around $2500.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best flight/airline price to the UK in the next 2 to 3 months?

Does it have to be Birmingham airport???? Just you're limiting your options with Birmingham. Would you consider Manchester or London as well? Both have decent transport links to Birmingham. Transport I'd a lot cheaper in England these days.

I'll have a look on the flight booking system tomorrow to see if I can get anything cheaper than being offered. I'll do it for all 3 airports just in case I get a far better deal via London or Manchester
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:16 am
`

Thanks so much TomH.

Birmingham is the easiest to get to Wolverhampton as with that there is the possibility of someone picking him up from the airport but if not, then there is the train.

Would only be a 10 day round trip in all. Have to be mindful of his new job to be fair to the employer. Although the employer is making the right noises it really is a bit soon as he only started in January.

Honestly. You couldn't write a book for the timing . We were both hoping to make a UK visit this coming NZ Autumn as I haven't been back in seven years now since my own Dad died. Still. This must come first for my husband's peace of mind and for those old uncle's well-being. They are such lovely men.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

No worries. I can include easter as well if you'd like. See what the differences are. Is there a preference day - Friday????

As you've mentioned Wolverhampton. I'll put Manchester as the second option. It's a lot quicker and far cheaper to get to Piccadilly from Manchester Airport than Heathrow to Euston.

Lastly do you want the flight from Nelson or from Christchurch???? Also does he have airports and Airlines he prefers or wants to avoid?
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:34 am
`

Yes. Easter would be in the frame as that brings to public holidays into play.

I hadn't thought beyond that he would likely fly from Auckland and we'd have to do an internal flight Nelson Auckland.

TBH. It's a new plan as yesterday there wasn't this plan but he must follow his heart.

If it would be Christchurch then it would be a flight down from Nelson.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that. That helps heaps

I'll give you some feedback tomorrow once I've done some searches. Be around the evening time

And I'll search via Christchurch first since that airport is fat better to change between domestic and international.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 6:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

if you have an bank account in UK and some money in it you can get from there on travel supermarket
Old Feb 8th 2016, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear of your loss BEVS.

I'm not sure on prices but i had a quick look and Qantas/Emirates including a flight Nelson to Aucks is 2700 or so - leaving on Fri 18 and back on April 1 - so includes Easter - just to give you an idea.

I have done the Emirates/Qantas route via Dubai to Birmingham and it was pretty easy back in the Midlands. It was 14 and a bit hours from Melbourne to Dubai then a 2 hour break before heading to Brum which is about 7 hours. I have done Manchester before as well but then its nearly an hour on the train to Wolves from Manchester probably.

Train to Wolves must be 35 mins tops so that is useful from Brum Airport.

I got the train from the airport to Dudley and was home within 45 mins after being picked up in the car for last bit.

Only hassle was the luggage people in Brum as it took 45 mins to get suitcase.

Emirates are generous with luggage allowance to i believe, 30kg i think, but worth double checking.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick note to say that if you are travelling by train you can save a lot of money by pre-booking on the National Rail website then picking your tickets up from a ticket machine when you arrive in the UK.

We saved quite a bit by booking from Paddington and collecting tickets there when flying into Heathrow.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We are heading to Europe (Zurich) in May and returning from Manchester the end of June, also flying with Emirates. That's approximately the same as we are paying too BEVS. I understand him wanting to fly directly to Brum, it's better if he can avoid any extra travel after the journey to get there.
Have you looked at Etihad?
Old Feb 8th 2016, 6:13 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

I will be interested to see what Tom suggests as I'm looking to book one way to UK shortly, travelling end of May. At the moment I'm looking at Air NZ as its about $1400 which I think is fairly good and only one stop.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
I will be interested to see what Tom suggests as I'm looking to book one way to UK shortly, travelling end of May. At the moment I'm looking at Air NZ as its about $1400 which I think is fairly good and only one stop.
Emirates is quoting $1100 one way, one stop, end of May (but with a long stop in Singapore). Shorter stop $50 more, have a look at Skyscanner.

Peter
Old Feb 8th 2016, 7:22 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
Emirates is quoting $1100 one way, one stop, end of May (but with a long stop in Singapore). Shorter stop $50 more, have a look at Skyscanner.

Peter
Wow thats cheap. Thanks forthe info will have a look. Dont mind extra $50 for shorter transit
Old Feb 8th 2016, 8:38 pm
`

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
if you have an bank account in UK and some money in it you can get from there on travel supermarket
I don't know what that is.
What is travel supermarket?
Old Feb 8th 2016, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I don't know what that is.
What is travel supermarket?
https://www.travelsupermarket.com/?K...be43d&Device=c

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.