Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Being a Dr in new zealand

Being a Dr in new zealand

Old May 12th 2016, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being a Dr in new zealand

I wouldn't agree that Australia has a better (sunnier) climate than NZ - both are big countries with widely variable conditions so pick your area. Oz, however, has a wide range of poisonous/dangerous species so probably better for Doctors :-)
Old May 12th 2016, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

SimpsonA is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah we could go to oz, but we are going to New Zealand.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Lilibetliz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! I am a junior doctor and my husband a consultant and we've been considering a move to Nz for similar reasons, ultimately fed up of the NHS and crap work life balance here in the uk. How have you found the application process and do you have a date to move here yet? I'd like to speak to some people over there already but can't find he best way? Thanks!
Old Sep 21st 2016, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Iggydoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lilibetliz,

My experience of obtaining a consultant post in Christchurch NZ is straightforward. The advert for the post was circulated by email at the time I had completed my training. I expressed my interest and was invitied over for a face to face interview. The interview was less demanding than the nhs ones I had attended. The interview could also be done by teleconference, but I wanted to check out the place.

With the job offer, I applied to MCNZ for vocational scope and had a video conference interview by Australasian college reps. Once provisional scope was granted everything else just fell into place. Contract negotiation, visa, tickets, removals... Although the DHB paid for flights and removal, there is considerable cost of more than 10000 pounds closing shop in UK and setting up in NZ.

One year on, I hv not regretted the move. Surprised to see so many UK trained doctors. It might be more tricky obtaining a training post though.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Baz036 is an unknown quantity at this point

Recruitment agencies new 'normal practice' in hiring doctors | Stuff.co.nz

From local paper today.