Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Been living in NZ 10 years now from UK

Been living in NZ 10 years now from UK

Old May 20th 2016, 10:16 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Been living in NZ 10 years now from UK

Originally Posted by Clairej
I've been here 2 years now...there's just something I seem to be missing...
The fact that sloths exist somehow proves that if you go at your own pace, and mind your own business, you too can succeed.

Edit: It should be a meme really shouldn't it?

Last edited by Charismatic; May 20th 2016 at 10:31 am.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been living in NZ 10 years now from UK

Originally Posted by Snowymissy
Hi everyone
Ive been living in Chch NZ for over 10 years now. I originally moved out from Cornwall UK. I love it here though sometimes feel a bit isolated, which is why I'm posting on this forum. When i first moved here I came with my ex husband and 3 boys, since then i have split with my husband and now live with a new partner and we have a big blended family of 6 kids.
I originally settled really well, made some great friends and had no regrets at all. However in the last couple of years, ( largely thanks to EQ's) my 2 best friends have left, one to the UK and another to Perth. Since then I have struggled making new friends. My kids are all older now, and it doesn't seem as easy as it did when I was younger, plus I work by myself too so I don't meet people that way. I am ok, i have a great family and have been welcomed into a wider family too, it is just sometimes I wish I had a better network.
Also recently i have missed the Uk more, ( I think when left I had rose tinted glasses on for NZ and just thought UK was grey and depressing - but now I appreciate it's beauty too) my father died last year and it was really really hard being so far away. I have become quite distanced from my family in UK now except my mum whom I Skype weekly.
I think it is an amazing country here to live, I love the landscape, I spend much more time outdoors than I ever did in Uk, i am healthier and my kids are thriving . I can not see my self ever leaving this country, though it is funny how sometimes waves of homesickness, or lack of roots comes, and then for months you are fine again.
hope this isn't too long winded - just here I am
I'm in a different age group than most of you but thought I'd put in my 2 pennyworth. We came to Tauranga 7 years ago to join our 2 children and 8 grandchildren. They both came 12 years ago and we came out from the UK every summer for a couple of months. We were in our late 60s when we eventually were sponsored by our son and maybe that was a bit late in our lives but it was a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea. We made the right decision to come here but it was never going to be easy. We were a close family living in Sussex and saw the family regularly, so it seemed logical that we would join them here if possible. NZ seemed idyllic and we saw most of it on our summer visits. Doing the Maths you'll see we're now late 70s. The grandchildren have grown, so we rarely see or hear from those living in Auckland. Son's marriage broke down and he went to Australia. We're very lucky to have a daughter and her family living 3 doors away but it's worth saying that having left the UK at our age, even though we had lived abroad on and off when we were younger, it has got more difficult as we've got older. I've been back 3 times but my husband refuses to fly long haul ever again. I miss England and I miss being able to pop over to Europe occasionally. We sometimes forget how beautiful Britain is. NZ has changed a lot in the last 12 years, I hardly recognize it. If our daughter decided to go back I'd have my bag packed and ready but that's not likely as they have 2 kids in their 20s. I appreciate our story is very different to yours but it looks as if things will get better for you. Some will always feel homesick occasionally however long they live here. while others never look back.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been living in NZ 10 years now from UK

Good post. I would just say for balance though that Europe has changed dramatically too over the last year or two. Security, generally, is a massive issue now, especially in France. The free and easy atmosphere is diminishing and I have been glad each time to get back to the UK.