Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Becoming a LBP (Carpenter)

Becoming a LBP (Carpenter)

Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice
Default Becoming a LBP (Carpenter)

Woohoo Chippie is now on the wanted list for ChCh, hopefully it'll be going onto the longterm list next update so I can apply! I see things have changed a bit since last time it was on. Has anybody done the bit about becoming a LBP? I had a read and it sounds very basic? A bit like getting a CSCS safety card? I'de appreciate a bit of a heads up as to whats involved and is likely to be different to UK norms so I can get a bit of practice in! Are Hilti's still popular in NZ I know they're still used a lot in Aus and it comes into their assesment - i've never used anything other than a Paslode!
Thanks
Giles
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:12 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Becoming a LBP (Carpenter)

Good luck! :-) I'm not a chippy so largely didn't understand what you said but I'm sure them's that do will be along.

Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It's the new Licensed Building Practitioner thing.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:39 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
That was only one of the things I didn't understand...
Old Dec 10th 2012, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Yes theres plenty of Paslode here and pricey!!!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

gordymac1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello Giles. Im gordy. Im a carpenter as well. I have done a bit of reading on the Licensed Building Practitioner malarkey and i agree that it is similar to the cscs card. I noticed that we will have to get our qualifications approved by the NZQA stating that your overseas qualification is specifically equivalent to one recognised under the LBP scheme (the report will costs around $750. i think this might have to be done for immigration purposes so that will suffice if so. Here is a site to look through http://www.buildingguide.co.nz/

I to would like to know if you have to be licensed yourself to practice or can you work under your employers license?

Hope this helps best a luck
Old Dec 13th 2012, 12:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My belief is that this will follow the same type of regulations as for plumbers,gasfitters, electricians etc.

Each tradesperson will need to be licensed .

This will probably be an annual license with a renew fee each year. Plus there will be CPD points, meaning that the tradesperson will need to attend up-skilling courses each year.

Maybe have a chat with the Master Builders org. & come back to us with what you find out.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply. could you tell me if i can obtain a lbp license in the UK. preferably in northern ireland or the republic of ireland????
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:44 am
Leeds to Nelson

Heal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really nice

I'm a builder in Nelson
Regarding the LBP a few answers to your questions.
Initial cost is a little under $600
You need to have recent knowledge and experience of NZ building regs and code of practice which since earthquake in Christchurch are changing all the time together with proof of experience along with 2 recent referees which they do ring to check on.Also proof of Qualifications CG etc.
There,s a yearly fee of about $180
Over time you need to collect points by reading building literature, training apprentices ,trade conferences etc as proof your keeping up to date with the code of practice.
Hope this helps
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Hello Heal and thanks for the info. I have been studying the codes and regs to familiarize myself with them. I was wondering if you see much of a difference in work practices. new Zealand to the UK. (IE) work load, health and safety, working with the new Zealanders. I suppose what im asking you is how are you finding it compared to home???
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:44 am
Leeds to Nelson

Heal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really nice

Originally Posted by gordymac1000
Hello Heal and thanks for the info. I have been studying the codes and regs to familiarize myself with them. I was wondering if you see much of a difference in work practices. new Zealand to the UK. (IE) work load, health and safety, working with the new Zealanders. I suppose what im asking you is how are you finding it compared to home???
Yes I find it a little different,
Wages are low and just about everything is more expensive than the uk.
My experience at work is it seems a lot more laid back and not as driven as uk,they tend to rely on things happening tomorrow rather than today that can be frustrating,the kiwis are good guys but it can take time to be accepted.I build top end architectural homes though they are very substandard to what I experienced back home and no where near the same quality.
Advice I would give to anybody wanting to move to NZ for what it's worth is,
Don't come here thinking you'll be better off financially because I don't know anybody that is.
It's a brilliant place to live ,very low crime,good schools,fantastic for young families,generally the weathers good,there's loads to do if your into the outdoor life.
Downside is you can feel very isolated and its very very expensive.
Hope this helps in some way ,I remember when we were preparing the big move ,never underestimate how big a move it is,when I look back now we must have been very brave and crazy.