British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   BBQ's and Outdoor cooking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bbqs-outdoor-cooking-903742/)

Mightymurph Sep 24th 2017 10:26 am

BBQ's and Outdoor cooking

Hi Everyone.
I am getting closer to my travel date in November.
I'm going to be staying with a friend at first.

Can anyone please information on how BBQ's are the same or different to UK.

At the moment my parents have a firepit that we put coal in to BBQ or wood for a fire.

Do you get this kind of thing in New Zealand?
Is it just gas BBQ's?
How much do the cost?
Do you get the disposable BBQ's?

I have heard garden fires in Australia are banned in some areas and seasons.
What are the laws and rules in New Zealand?

Are there smoke free zones?
I'll probably have more questions about this haha.

As always, thanks in advance.
Looking forward to a good summer.

Regards
Stephen

Robbie2010 Sep 24th 2017 11:59 am

Re: BBQ's and Outdoor cooking

BBQs & Accessories - Outdoor Living | The Warehouse

bearskin Sep 24th 2017 7:12 pm

Having a BBQ in NZ is considered an essential item. It's closer to the American approach than the UK approach to BBQ. Think of it more as outdoor cooking than strictly BBQing food.
The americans call it grilling to distinguish it from BBQ - one is a big metal contraption (with controls for the flames, a hood, temp gauge etc) that typically uses gas to cook food on; the other uses fossil fuel to cook on and the container for the fuel and grill set up is simpler and has little to no controls.

Personally I have lots of types.. lol

A large 6-burner grill with a hood and temp gauge and a side burner. I am planning on building an outdoor kitchen set up to house this on a new deck.

I also have a wood-burning oven that I built (call it a pizza oven if you must) in a separate area adjacent to the kitchen.

A weber charcoal BBQ, a small gas-fired 'camping' grill/BBQ and a 'pocket' charcoal BBQ - like a disposable tray style one but it isn't disposable.

Then I have a tall "Buschbeck" outdoor fireplace that is wood burning and has cooking inserts - that's next to an outdoor seating area. It's used as much as a heat source as for cooking.

Plus, I am planning on digging out a 'fire pit' southern-USA style thing in a square metre area next to the Wood-fired oven so i can make the wood embers in the oven and shovel them straight into my pit and do long-slow BBQ style cooking too.

TBH most people have the gas BBQ-grill and maybe the odd enthusiast will have a Weber. I am unusually obsessed, and it's not common/normal.

Pulaski Sep 24th 2017 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 12345433)
.... The americans call it grilling to distinguish it from BBQ - one is a big metal contraption (with controls for the flames, a hood, temp gauge etc) that typically uses gas to cook food on; the other uses fossil fuel to cook on and the container for the fuel and grill set up is simpler and has little to no controls. ....

:confused: Gas is a fossil fuel, whereas I have never heard of any other sort of "fossil fuel" being used for BBQ cooking. FWIW. I live in the US.

Charcoal is scorched wood, typically hickory, and has nothing to do with fossils. Cooking over hickory charcoal is very popular and in my neck of the woods, and pretty much every supermarket has a pallet of sacks of charcoal outside for six months of the year, near the propane bottles, and DIY stores have a pallet inside near the gas grills and charcoal smokers/kettles.

Justcol Sep 25th 2017 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Mightymurph (Post 12345156)
At the moment my parents have a firepit that we put coal in to BBQ or wood for a fire.

Is it just gas BBQ's?
How much do the cost?
Do you get the disposable BBQ's?

Have never been to a BBQ that wasnt gas
If you tried a disposable one here you'd get laughed out of town.
This is NZ not the UK, smoke and fire regs wont apply to a backyard BBQ
you're over thinking it,

Bo-Jangles Sep 25th 2017 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12345711)
If you tried a disposable one here you'd get laughed out of town.

Nope, lots of people take them to the beach

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/samba-dis...rill_p00307750

Bo-Jangles Sep 25th 2017 9:05 am

Yis https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/outdo...ating/c/RS2065

Woodlea Sep 25th 2017 6:04 pm

This is what we get every summer in the Waimakariri:

A Prohibited Fire Season is extended over the whole of the Waimakariri District from midnight Wednesday 16 December 2015 until further notice.
During the Prohibited Fire Season, it is an offence to light any fires in the open air. Gas barbecues lit in approved containers and situated in an area served by a domestic water supply are not deemed to be fires in the open.

Mightymurph Sep 26th 2017 2:07 pm

Bearskin... When can I come over haha.

I do enjoy a good bit of meat cooking over a fire.

Sounds like I am going to fit in well.

Are there BBQ (outdoor cooking) clubs or societies? Hahaha

escapedtonz Sep 26th 2017 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12345731)
Nope, lots of people take them to the beach

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/samba-dis...rill_p00307750

Nah. Bugger that they're crap. I bought a mini gas bbq specifically for the beach from Mitre10 :p

Catchafire Sep 27th 2017 3:12 am

After being through a couple of bargain basement gas BBQ'a, we bit the bullet and got a three burner Broil King and we use it at least once a week in winter and just about every other day in Summer.

Also got a kettle style charcoal BBQ, can't beat the taste! But charcoal is expensive and can be hard to find quality charcoal here.

BEVS Sep 27th 2017 3:51 am

BBQ Rabbit Island beach. Uses wood.

Attachment 128613

Mightymurph Sep 27th 2017 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 12347592)
After being through a couple of bargain basement gas BBQ'a, we bit the bullet and got a three burner Broil King and we use it at least once a week in winter and just about every other day in Summer.

Also got a kettle style charcoal BBQ, can't beat the taste! But charcoal is expensive and can be hard to find quality charcoal here.

So it's cheaper in the long run to get a gas burner one?

Tom H Sep 27th 2017 7:18 am

As an FYI, some places here have built in BBQs in social areas.

We've got about 12 where I live. I tend to use those instead of having my own. Does the job and makes summer picnics by the lake enjoyable