Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Banks and Mobile phone providers......

Banks and Mobile phone providers......

Old Jul 14th 2014, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

physeptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the rough
Default Banks and Mobile phone providers......

Over here in the the UK i currently bank with First Direct (part of HSBC) and i am very happy with them- as a telephone based bank they are available on the phone 24 hours a day.
As i need to open a NZ bank account (preferably before i leave) can anyone tell me if there is an equivalent that i could go with?

With regards mobiles, i am with T-mobile (EE) here. I don't really care to stay with them or not. What is the best provider in NZ- i will be mostly interested in DATA rather than calls/texts. Coverage around Rotorua will be important.

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2014, 5:44 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banks and Mobile phone providers......

I have phone banking on my ANZ account but never use it. I presume all other banks have the same. I do everything I need to do online, eg pay bills, transfer money etc. I also contact them this way if necessary. Only rarely do I need to go into a branch-it's usually to deposit the FIL's Xmas cheque

Do you specifically need or desire phone banking?
Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

physeptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Persephone
Do you specifically need or desire phone banking?
I like the ability to speak to a person 24 hours a day - automated phone banking doesn't count. Online banking is limited - can't set up new payees, can't arrange a loan/mortgage/overdraft.
Maybe things will be different in NZ though and i might not need it............
Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:15 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I see.
I can set up new payees on my NZ account, I can also do that on my remaining UK account [I did it recently]
I don't know about arranging a loan etc, not sure whether that is possible.
I've just had a look at my bank's phone banking hours. You can talk to someone from 6am to midnight 7 days a week. I suppose it depends on your finances and what you need-it's so rare that I need something I can't do online that I just go into a branch
Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

How much phone data do you use? I am on 2degrees and have stuck with pay as you go rather than contract. 2degrees are about the cheapest I have seen for what I want though Skinny may be better by a few dollars.

The most you'll get on an individual plan with 2degrees looks to be 1.5gb per month at 39 dollars though that carries over, extra data is $20 per GB. Yes that is expensive heh but I can tether to my tablet for about 15 -20 hours of browsing for that.

Telecom is $119 per month for 3GB of data on contract. Vodafone is $169 per month for 4GB. Those are the main three providers that I can think of and there are cheaper plans. I've just given you top whack so you know what you're facing bring your own unlocked phone too.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:17 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

mobile phones - it will also depend on whereabouts you are living, some phone companies coverage are a bit hit and miss in certain area's. If you have a contract on your mobile in the UK and won't be using it here then it is best to get out before you come over. The nightmare we had on trying to shut down the contract here I wouldn't wish on anyone
Old Jul 14th 2014, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
mobile phones - it will also depend on whereabouts you are living, some phone companies coverage are a bit hit and miss in certain area's. If you have a contract on your mobile in the UK and won't be using it here then it is best to get out before you come over. The nightmare we had on trying to shut down the contract here I wouldn't wish on anyone
I see he's on T-Mobile so I recommend that. If he was on 3, then I'd sit out and leave it. Purely to save costs on dealing with the useless customer service team that's called 3 mobile. The nightmare I had to endure, just to close an account 6 months early was something I wouldn't recommend on anyone. Not surprising that they tried to sweeten my experience after my very long rant on their facebook page, that surprisingly they understood.

I'd hold fire for your phone as you may get a company phone free with your job. Some companies tend to have this but you will only get about 1GB of data. Also, check where you live. Telecom in Amberley isn't the best, go rural into the Southern Alps - hello, I am on my mobile can you hear me?

You can always go to HSBC by the way for a foreign account as I have a Premier account set up with them but it is a company benefit (from the UK). I had to change my standard HSBC account to a premier account, and just use that to put some money in for when Christmas and birthdays come round, as well as potential trips home. You will have to pay around $12.95GB per month for it but the days of free banking are coming to an end. Hey ho, someone has to pay for their Friday nights out.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

DianaVB is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone been able to cancel an EE contract early? I've still got 7 months left on mine after we leave the UK and resigned myself to having to paying it...
Old Jul 17th 2014, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.

I am on Vodafone Freebees DATA. Prepay Freebees | Bonus with every topup - Vodafone NZ

I compared all and looked into coverage. As far as data is concerned, this was the best one i could find. I was advised 2 degrees coverage wasnt that good, so I avoided them.

I stayed on pay as you go. I top up by $20 a month and use the phone exactly like i did in the UK. (iPhone) My bill in the UK was £39 a month. I get 250mb data a month and unlimited texts with my plan (on top of the $20 credit) and i sometimes use it all, (not always) but when i do, i can use the top up $20 balance to add a bolt on.

My husband uses telecom. I believe they have also brought out a pay as you go data offer. Plans & pricing - Mobile broadband - Mobile - Shop - Personal - Telecom New Zealand. but it is on a contract.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianaVB
Has anyone been able to cancel an EE contract early? I've still got 7 months left on mine after we leave the UK and resigned myself to having to paying it...
no, I had an o2 contract which i had to pay till the end. I gave my dad the sim card so he at least could use my free calls etc.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:58 am
Just Joined

DianaVB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought so. Thanks M_and_M.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by physeptone
Over here in the the UK i currently bank with First Direct (part of HSBC) and i am very happy with them- as a telephone based bank they are available on the phone 24 hours a day.
As i need to open a NZ bank account (preferably before i leave) can anyone tell me if there is an equivalent that i could go with?

With regards mobiles, i am with T-mobile (EE) here. I don't really care to stay with them or not. What is the best provider in NZ- i will be mostly interested in DATA rather than calls/texts. Coverage around Rotorua will be important.

Thanks
The big banks are :
ASB
ANZ
Bank of New Zealand
Westpac

I am pretty sure ASB/ Westpac/ANZ do migrant banking services which allow you to open an account before you arrive in the country. Look on their websites.

As for mobiles phones, you can probably go with either Vodafone or telecom
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:13 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

You can open a BNZ account from the UK too - I've used them for 8 years, can do everything online, including raising credit limits etc. Have found them very efficient and great when you're overseas too as long as you let them know.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:58 am
Just Joined

akmodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

This would be something, I would also be interested in. I have been told that a account cannot be opened without stepping into a NZ branch (HSBC NZ told me so. Some new regulations I believe)

Also, is it worth paying the monthly fee for the NZ accounts? I have got spoilt by the fee free accounts in UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.