Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"Authorised Person" for Citizenship application

"Authorised Person" for Citizenship application

Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:07 am
Arrived CHC 23 May 2006

Stevemw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Authorised Person" for Citizenship application

The time has come to cough up for our citizenship - $920 for two of us is bad enough, but we are also required to get an "authorised person" to witness the forms.
Most of the people who qualify as authorised will charge for their time - solicitors, notaries etc.
Has anybody already been through this process and found a cheap solution? The forms mention that some Department of Internal Affairs staff are authorised, but it doesn't mention whether you can just go along to their nearest office and get someone out to reception to witness your forms.
TIA
Steve
Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:09 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Authorised Person" for Citizenship application

we took ours to our solicitor and she did it free of charge, so you may find yours will.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

If you think $920 is bad, try having a family of 5!!

Our solicitor did ours free of charge too...
Old Aug 15th 2009, 6:40 am
Arrived CHC 23 May 2006

I think ours would probably do it for free if we were getting some other chargeable service at the time - not sure if it's a standalone.....
I'll see what the DIA say about one of their staff doing it.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stevemw
The time has come to cough up for our citizenship - $920 for two of us is bad enough, but we are also required to get an "authorised person" to witness the forms.
Most of the people who qualify as authorised will charge for their time - solicitors, notaries etc.
Has anybody already been through this process and found a cheap solution? The forms mention that some Department of Internal Affairs staff are authorised, but it doesn't mention whether you can just go along to their nearest office and get someone out to reception to witness your forms.
TIA
Steve
I thnik, if i remember correctly i went into the Dept Internal Affairs to submit the forms in person. I cant remember if it was them who witnessed the forms, but I kn ow we didnt have to pay anyone to do it, sop it probably was. If its easy for you to go dwn to the Office you can always pop down and ask if theyre able to witness the forms, and if youre wrong, then it didnt really cost anything.

I cant think a soliciter will charge too much though.

Can the police do it? sometimes on those types of forms a poice officer can witness forms as well.

good luck, immigrating is a process that keeps biting inot the bank accounts isnt it... there is still your passports to pay for down the track as well
Old Aug 15th 2009, 11:23 pm
Arrived CHC 23 May 2006

Yes, you'd think they could cough up a couple of passports as well for $920, wouldn't you....