Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

"Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 1:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah in Australia now we can get the internet thingie all day and all night without having to light fires and chant mystical words first. Tis putting us witches out of business
I've got that internet thingie and believe me there's some mystical words flying around at the moment Maybe I should go put another shilling in the meter, poxy thing is on a go slow.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've got that internet thingie and believe me there's some mystical words flying around at the moment Maybe I should go put another shilling in the meter, poxy thing is on a go slow.
Must be something to do with cmm ratings
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msi geek
Why did NZ increase the time period for migrants to acquire citizenship from 3 to 5 years?

Almost all new kiwi citizens take the next flight to Australia immediately after the citizenship ceremony and 3 years was proving inadequate to frustate them with the Kiwi Miserliness.

When will we hear such phrases?

Fiji and NZ, Tonga and NZ, Samoa and NZ, ...
Evidence for this please?

Must get on I have some cmm ratings to get on with
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:22 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

This CMM thingy puzzled me, Google wasn't much help, thinking of running a poll to Ask The Audience what the OP might have been referring to out of Wiki's choices:

CMM can refer to:
  • Center for Molecular Medicine (CMM), a research institute in Sweden
  • Coordinate-measuring machine, a device for dimensional measuring
  • Capability Maturity Model, tool for assessing processes in organizations (used in software development)
  • Center for Mathematical Modeling (CMM), a research institute in Chile
  • Commander of the Order of Military Merit, a Canadian decoration
  • Conflict Management and Mitigation, an office of USAID
  • Congregation of the Missionaries of Mariannhill
  • Coordinated Management of Meaning, a communications theory
  • Corpus mensurabilis musicae, a collection of polyphonic vocal music of the Renaissance
  • Caddo Parish Middle Magnet School, a school in Shreveport, Louisiana, known as Caddo Middle Magnet
  • Chhattisgarh Mukti Morcha, a political party in India
  • Crying Macho Man, a satirical comic strip created by Jose Cabrera
  • Chad Michael Murray, an American actor
  • Color Matching Method, a term in color management
  • Coal Mine Methane
  • Cluster Management module, part of Motorola Canopy system
  • Common Monitoring Model, is an extension of the Common Information Model (CIM) implemented in the Java programming language.[1]
  • Conditional Markov model, also known as a maximum entropy Markov model
  • The CMM Group, LLC, a custom machinery and pollution control equipment manufacturer located in De Pere, Wisconsin [2]

...I know how widespread BE readers read so it is important we all refer to the same CMM "thing"....I mean if I was talking about the Color Matching Method but someone else meant the Conditional Markov model imagine the confusion...
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
This CMM thingy puzzled me, Google wasn't much help, thinking of running a poll to Ask The Audience what the OP might have been referring to out of Wiki's choices:

CMM can refer to:
  • Capability Maturity Model, tool for assessing processes in organizations (used in software development)
  • Corpus mensurabilis musicae, a collection of polyphonic vocal music of the Renaissance
  • Caddo Parish Middle Magnet School, a school in Shreveport, Louisiana, known as Caddo Middle Magnet
  • Coal Mine Methane
  • Common Monitoring Model, is an extension of the Common Information Model (CIM) implemented in the Java programming language.[1]
  • The CMM Group, LLC, a custom machinery and pollution control equipment manufacturer located in De Pere, Wisconsin [2]

...I know how widespread BE readers read so it is important we all refer to the same CMM "thing"....I mean if I was talking about the Color Matching Method but someone else meant the Conditional Markov model imagine the confusion...
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Evidence for this please?

Must get on I have some cmm ratings to get on with
It's pretty common with OH's work colleagues (nursing) for short contracts, 4-12 weeks & it's a damn good earner, but not to go & live there.
I do know group of Kiwi's though who went over there last year for short term work (not nursing) & only 2 of them came back out of 10!!! 6 more I know are going in September.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mickey_d
It's pretty common with OH's work colleagues (nursing) for short contracts, 4-12 weeks & it's a damn good earner, but not to go & live there.
I do know group of Kiwi's though who went over there last year for short term work (not nursing) & only 2 of them came back out of 10!!! 6 more I know are going in September.
I want empirical evidence. Seems me & the OH & all our friends have gone wrong somewhere . We all came home after our citizenship ceremonies but apparently we should have made straight for the airport.

DOH!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi

CMM can refer to:
  • Coal Mine Methane

CMM refers to Capability Maturity Model (CMM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability_Maturity_Model

Many argue regarding what is/would be the biggest day in the history of New Zealand

I would say:

" The biggest day in NZ history will be when an IT company formally achieves a cmm level 5 rating ".

Had the honour of woking in the IT dept. of Air NZ - almost functions like a circus - no processes/documents - a mere service pack upgrade created havoc.

People lose their importance when process maturity is achieved. The national airline had to bow before an individual who had resigned after being with them for several years and knew the undocumented secrets. Salary Rate, Joining time, Terms, etc. eveything you decide - it was a " Save Our Souls " situation - Penny wise, Pound foolish.

The so called " Kiwi Ingenuity " represents the mental laziness and miserliness of the locals - temporary workarounds preferred over permanent foolproof solutions. Why? too much brainstorming, too expensive, too systematic, too disciplined for the Village life.

For the nationalistic kiwis, the given video is a must-watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTYkSuqY1ZY

Last edited by msi geek; Jul 23rd 2012 at 12:34 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Didn't you get the flight tickets to Oz either then?

We just got a pair of Kowhai trees.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I want empirical evidence. Seems me & the OH & all our friends have gone wrong somewhere . We all came home after our citizenship ceremonies but apparently we should have made straight for the airport.

DOH!
Why do you need evidence? The "almost all new kiwi citizens take the next flight to Australia" quote was over the top, but it's a well known fact that citizenship opens the door for you to go & work in Australia, it's been talked about enough on forums & on NZ news in the past.
A friend of ours gained citizenship last December, left her job in February & now does 4 - 6 week stints in OZ, earning almost 3 x what she was earning here, so in theory she only needs to work 4 - 5 months a year & be as well off. Most of the people we know just do one 4 week stint a year, using up accrued holidays.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:02 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Many argue regarding what is/would be the biggest day in the history of New Zealand

I would say:

" The biggest day in NZ history will be when an IT company formally achieves a cmm level 5 rating ".
Yes, I can just imagine John Key, excitedly calling a press conference to announce the momentous (I do not use the word lightly) news that Mr-FIXIT Pc shop and repairs in Ashburton, has achieved a CMM 5 rating. Something that would bring the country together, like winning the World Cup!

Ah, what lofty dreams we have.

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:34 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

CMM refers to Capability Maturity Model (CMM)
I know it does, it was in my list (well Wiki's list), however as you should really appreciate by now it has many different meanings to many people and TBH this forum is probably just as likely to be read by affiliates to certain Indian religious groups as to people familiar with your usage as above.

I was taught to include the first reference in full, then abbreviate thereafter, it shows consideration for your audience and prevents misunderstanding.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Yes, I can just imagine John Key, excitedly calling a press conference to announce the momentous (I do not use the word lightly) news that Mr-FIXIT Pc shop and repairs in Ashburton, has achieved a CMM 5 rating. Something that would bring the country together, like winning the World Cup!

Ah, what lofty dreams we have.

When the day happens be prepared for the influx of people from Australia, depserate to be part of such an exciting event
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:37 am
Account Closed

Why do you need evidence? The "almost all new kiwi citizens take the next flight to Australia" quote was over the top, but it's a well known fact that citizenship opens the door for you to go & work in Australia, it's been talked about enough on forums & on NZ news in the past.
A friend of ours gained citizenship last December, left her job in February & now does 4 - 6 week stints in OZ, earning almost 3 x what she was earning here, so in theory she only needs to work 4 - 5 months a year & be as well off. Most of the people we know just do one 4 week stint a year, using up accrued holidays.
Because I was being sarcastic (though I do apologise, as I am aware that this is the lowest form of wit) maybe .
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:40 am
It is what it is Member

Most of the people we know just do one 4 week stint a year, using up accrued holidays.
Really?? Most of the people you know do this??

Using up your holiday working elsewhere is hardly a lifestyle most of the polupation would manage TBH, for instance where children are involved....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.