Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

"Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

Perhaps the OP, with his years of HR experience and skills, can try Australia. I'm sure they would welcome you with a job and the $200K you value yourself at.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764091

Some other useless facts :

-More Brits live outside the UK than there are living in Birmingham, Edinburgh, Manchester or Liverpool - nearly even London (6,000,000+ Brits live abroad)
-30% of adults born in Ireland now live abroad (highest in the world)
-Average per capita income in US is $41,000USD
-Robert Muldoon made the comment about raising the average IQ of both countries, not Bulger.

Many people have legitimate grievances about NZ, it's not the perfect place that many are dumb enough to believe, but the OP's complaints are completely his own fault.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: "Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

Clearly msi geek , you feel aggrieved with your NZ earning power & are presently unable to find an escape route in the form of a visa/job elsewhere around the world. Why you came back to NZ somewhat escapes me but hey, we all make mistakes in life.

If you wish to rant & rail against that which you cannot change, that's fine but could you please not make duplicate posts about the place.

I thought I had developed double vision.

Within this post & then this post in a different thread of yours.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice

The purpose of this thread was to prove that Australia and NZ (ANZ) is a misleading term.

Americans, Europeans, Asians, Africans all refer to NZ as " A & NZ ".

Most people land up in NZ because they think it is a close alternative to Oz.

How close? - we all know now

Refer this image : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pa...ture_Areas.jpg

I apologize if my remarks/comments sounded unpleasant to anyone

Last edited by msi geek; Jul 8th 2012 at 4:15 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

UKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud of

I personally chose to live in New Zealand because of people I know and a country I love. I currently live in the UK and have been to Aus and NZ but the reason for anyone choosing any country can only be personal. For me, personally speaking of course, I would not choose to live and work in a country where the decision was based purely on my income. Yes, I could potentially earn more money in Australia but for me New Zealand is the personally the best option and that is no slant on Australia which is also a beautiful country with awesome people but just not for me. I am very much looking forward to experiencing it all again in a few days!

Last edited by UKQS; Jul 8th 2012 at 4:52 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 10:07 pm
`

Originally Posted by msi geek

People you know, might. People I know, don't. They know the difference.

People you know, might. People I know , don't. They know the difference.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:58 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

The purpose of this thread was to prove that Australia and NZ (ANZ) is a misleading term.

How close? - we all know now

Refer this image : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pa...ture_Areas.jpg

I apologize if my remarks/comments sounded unpleasant to anyone
Is there another planet you should be on? Your grasp of political and geographic boundaries seem based upon personal prejudice than any grounding in reality.

I can not think of a single example of my myriad of multi national friends ever referring to NZ as "Australia and NZ".

Why? Because they are not stupid.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

??? Never heard that one before - thank you and good night msi.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:06 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
??? Never heard that one before - thank you and good night msi.
me neither!!!!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

"Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World.

But they're not.

NZ job expos are regularly held in UK - why Not in Australia? (aussies would not even need a visa).
Maybe that's why. It's probably easier for us to 'pop over' and look for jobs or look on your job sites. We don't need to go to an expo to find out what's available to us and what's not.

The good image of NZ as a decent developed nation is because the outside world still refers to NZ as "Australia & New Zealand".

No, really they don't. Well not in the outside world I inhabit anyway.

When the English were migrating to Oz, the Scots choose nearby NZ to maintain that customary " difference ".
So why are there shedloads of Scots here who've never set foot in NZ and why are there so many English in NZ?
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So why are there shedloads of Scots here who've never set foot in NZ and why are there so many English in NZ?
The Scots are lost, and the English were heading for "A & NZ" and haven't yet realised they are in the NZ bit not the A bit
Old Jul 9th 2012, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

NZ job expos are regularly held in UK - why Not in Australia? (aussies would not even need a visa).
Because Aussies already know all about NZ.
As for the UK, anyone considering a move here would surely do their homework and have at least a primary school
knowledge of geography so would be aware of how close, or far we are from anywhere else.
That said, when I was planning my move to NZ I was excited about being able to fly only 3 or 4 hours
instead of 28 to visit places like Australia, Fiji and other pacific islands.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 7:17 am
`

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Scots are lost, and the English were heading for "A & NZ" and haven't yet realised they are in the NZ bit not the A bit
True. I thought I was heading for France and truffle growing.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 7:32 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Me thinks I can fly to Oz in 3 hrs but then I flew to USSR from London in 3 hrs.....I dont tend to link Britain to Russia......even with the collapse of the Iron Curtain...
Old Jul 9th 2012, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
People you know, might. People I know, don't. They know the difference.

People you know, might. People I know , don't. They know the difference.
Erm, have to admit that some people I know don't have a clue and think that NZ is a part of Australia and I have evidenced this first hand with some of my own blessed family who honestly should know better, with envelopes addressed to me at my address:

New Zealand
Australia

When pointing out the error of their ways, I have been told 'it's the same fing, innit?' I think a lot of people even come on this board at the outset thinking that Australia nd NZ are very similar. They still, even now, come here expecting it to be all swimming pools and 'let's throw another shrimp on the barbie' type of lifestyle that they see on TV 'get a life downunder' type of BS.

And as for expos, I am afraid the arguments don't stack up really, how come they are not be needed to attract Aussie migrants to NZ, when there are plenty of Aussie Expos in NZ? These usually set of the annual whingefest about how 'it's not fair' them Aussie's coming here robbing us of our best talent.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

My 97 year old nan often tells me she watches the news to see what the weather forecast is for Aus and knows that it is not going to be the same in NZ so she deducts a few degrees of temp and adds a bit of wind and rain and then she is happy that she has worked out my local weather! My point is that even thought she doesn't remember what she had for lunch, she knows the difference between Aus and NZ geographically and meteorologically

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.