Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland, IT & Dependents.

Auckland, IT & Dependents.

Old May 21st 2016, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Chipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant future
Default Auckland, IT & Dependents.

Hello All,
I work in IT. Have done since 1994. Now an IT Busness Analyst with a background in SAP and software development.
Preferably I'm interested in Auckland.
Property seems expensive but not out of our price range. I've seen properties on the internet and many seem to just have yards rather than gardens. Is this the norm?

I'm 50, so will be penalised on the points test. It may also be difficult to find work at 50+ for the first time in NZ?
I used to work gor a global management consultancy (Accenture) and think that would ha been my best bet to get a transfer but now work for a much smaller firm.

My kids are 18 and 15. At what age do they no longer become dependents?
My 18 year old has Aspergers. Would this be taken into consideration/go against us?

Sorry for the 20 questions but there's so much swirling round in my head.
Old May 21st 2016, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland, IT & Dependents.

Originally Posted by Chipster
I've seen properties on the internet and many seem to just have yards rather than gardens. Is this the norm?
No, most houses do have a garden of some sort, albeit that in some places these have been sub-divided within an inch of their life and had further house(s) built on them. If you look at real estate ads they show the size of the section in sqm and also usually the size of the house so you can figure out roughly how much outside space there is. You can google the addresses also to see the lay of the land.
Old May 22nd 2016, 1:02 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you can apply for a work to resident visa, this is a temp visa that can lead onto residency after two years but you must be under 55 to apply for the residency visa, so you would need to be less than 53 to apply for the WTR visa, that is how I have read it on the immigration site even though you can apply for the WTR up til 55.

You would also get more points by looking for work outside of Auckland, these points have increased from 10 to 30.

Your sons will still be classed as dependant and both will have to submit medicals. Your elder sons condition will be taken into account and the outcome depends solely on the medical evidence you provide so no on here will be able to tell you how that will affect your application. Just to let you know that other children have had the go ahead with this and various other conditions.

As for your age, not sure how it will affect any applications as a lot of IT initial "interviews" are coffee meets to see if you come across as someone who would fit into the team (that is how it has been for MrF, also in IT but a CTO).

No need to apologise for questions, if you don't ask you won't know, so ask away hopefully someone will have an experience to tell
Old May 22nd 2016, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
As for your age, not sure how it will affect any applications as a lot of IT initial "interviews" are coffee meets to see if you come across as someone who would fit into the team (that is how it has been for MrF, also in IT but a CTO).

No need to apologise for questions, if you don't ask you won't know, so ask away hopefully someone will have an experience to tell

MrF is a CTO and finding it hard to get work? or was that another posters oh?
Old May 22nd 2016, 3:22 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

no thats him. Spoken to agencies who say there is nothing there atm and also looks through Seek and Trademe. He did apply for one the other week and didn't even get short listed yet he reckoned all his skills were spot on.
Old May 22nd 2016, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
no thats him. Spoken to agencies who say there is nothing there atm and also looks through Seek and Trademe. He did apply for one the other week and didn't even get short listed yet he reckoned all his skills were spot on.
PM you
Old May 22nd 2016, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Chipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant future

Thanks all for your helpful replies.