Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Any Real Estate Agents out there?!

Any Real Estate Agents out there?!

Old Feb 26th 2015, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

ccurtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Real Estate Agents out there?!

Hiya

Arriving in Wellington on 14th March. Have seen plenty of properties we would like to rent, but none of the agents seem to respond to my emails or calls?

What am i doing wrong and how do i secure a property for rent?

thanks
Old Feb 26th 2015, 5:15 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Real Estate Agents out there?!

absolutely nothing. they generally will not entertain talking to anyone who is not in the country.

as for seeing property within media is a whole different ball game then in person. I would advide for you to either get a serviced appartment or book a bach/holiday home for at least 4-6 weeks to get your bearings and look around a bit.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

What Mrs Fychan says

There is no point in you even applying for any rentals from abroad. It's a legal requirement I think that you have to be in the country to be shown round the property first before making an application.

You best get some accommodation sorted for your first week or two. It may be costly but that generally is the way forward - unless the company you'd be working for can find something suitable for you.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

ccurtis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replying.

We already have the first 4 weeks sorted with my husbands company. an apartment in CBD Wellington. I just emailed a few of the agents of properties we've liked the look of asking more details and they haven't got back to me.

I've asked if i need to pre book appointments to view homes and what paperwork do they need for us to proceed.

No replies so far
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Chocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really nice

Originally Posted by ccurtis
Thanks for replying.

We already have the first 4 weeks sorted with my husbands company. an apartment in CBD Wellington. I just emailed a few of the agents of properties we've liked the look of asking more details and they haven't got back to me.

I've asked if i need to pre book appointments to view homes and what paperwork do they need for us to proceed.

No replies so far
Not surprising. If you really need to get more information in advance of you coming here I would ring them. It will be more of an indication that you are serious and they can sort of get to know you better. If you have the right software e.g.Skype it costs almost nothing for a call.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

If Looking to rent in Wellie then you really need to be here. Ask how much sun the property gets in Winter etc. Go and see the property at different times of the day as you don't want to get caught out with a damp dark cold property on a hill or in a valley!
Old Feb 27th 2015, 2:55 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I would also take a look at this and make sure you know the laws for renting, so you don't get advised incorrectly

Renting and you – a guide for landlords and tenants - Department of Building and Housing
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Agents were not remotely interested in talking to us, far less arrange any viewings until we'd been for a drive-by to check out places before would show us around inside. Four weeks away is way too far off their horizon unfortunately and any decent places won't be hanging around that long, you have to be here and ready for action.