Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Another diploma nurse trying their luck

Another diploma nurse trying their luck

Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

JoviPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another diploma nurse trying their luck

Hi Sam13, here's my experience. I emailed the NZ nursing council prior to applying for registration and never had a response from them. However, once I'd started applying for registration they would respond sometimes within just a few minutes.

Here's the bit you probably don't want to read. The registration process is long, frustrating and quite stressful. It took me 7 months to get registered and I believe that is about average. I don't want to rain on your parade as you sound incredibly excited (as you should, NZ is totally amazing!!) but I do want you to be realistic that this is not a quick or easy process. The council are currently accepting diploma trained nurses but all cases are looked at on an individual basis (a friend of mine was rejected) and they like to see lots of evidence of post-grad training. Also, be extra nice to the people you ask to provide your references and character reference, mine were absolutely amazing (my dad asked how much I'd paid for them!) and I firmly believe they helped me a lot.

Good luck, keep us updated on how you get on and feel free to ask questions along the way.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sam13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jovi, that's really helpful, I'm glad to hear reality, thanks. Believe it or not I heard back from email to NCNZ the next day and they told me to go ahead and try applying, as you say it's case by case. 7 months sounds a lot longer than the 10-12 weeks the ADHB recruitment lady said it would be! Did you apply for your visas while waiting for your NCNZ reg or wait to get the reg first? I am under no illusions that any of this is going to be easy, but I think I maybe underestimated how much paperwork there actually is to return

I am really excited but it's becoming more real (and scary) as we delve into the details more now, my husband had a HUGE wobble about it all yesterday, and typically happened to read nothing but negative stuff online about the reality of living there. We have 3 kids too though so lots to consider pros and cons of! Thanks again !
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam13
Hi Jovi, that's really helpful, I'm glad to hear reality, thanks. Believe it or not I heard back from email to NCNZ the next day and they told me to go ahead and try applying, as you say it's case by case. 7 months sounds a lot longer than the 10-12 weeks the ADHB recruitment lady said it would be! Did you apply for your visas while waiting for your NCNZ reg or wait to get the reg first? I am under no illusions that any of this is going to be easy, but I think I maybe underestimated how much paperwork there actually is to return

I am really excited but it's becoming more real (and scary) as we delve into the details more now, my husband had a HUGE wobble about it all yesterday, and typically happened to read nothing but negative stuff online about the reality of living there. We have 3 kids too though so lots to consider pros and cons of! Thanks again !
I have heard of people getting it in 12weeks but that's if everything goes without a hitch and they have been degree students which require less checking according to the council most of the time there is little you can do except obsessively check the online documents system for updates......

There is a lot of negative stuff but also a lot of positives but on here there is a lot of realists also, as with any country..my mother in law has lived out there for 14 years and loves it...if it was easy everyone would do it
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Sam13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou, I'm beginning to see how it would take so long now. Just trying to book onto IELTS (did you revise much?) before i can even put in registration application and there's no dates for 3 weeks plus locally. OETS is no where near me.

I kind of wish I hadn't seen this one-off job now though then I wouldn't feel quite so under pressure to hurry things up, although the DHB recruitment lady did say they could "postpone a start date to allow me to sort out NCNZ reg and other paperwork" if I was successful, I've been honest and said I've not started it. Closing date is Sunday though, so I'll soon know if we can slow down a bit. Whereabouts you both hoping to work/live?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam13
Thankyou, I'm beginning to see how it would take so long now. Just trying to book onto IELTS (did you revise much?) before i can even put in registration application and there's no dates for 3 weeks plus locally. OETS is no where near me.

I kind of wish I hadn't seen this one-off job now though then I wouldn't feel quite so under pressure to hurry things up, although the DHB recruitment lady did say they could "postpone a start date to allow me to sort out NCNZ reg and other paperwork" if I was successful, I've been honest and said I've not started it. Closing date is Sunday though, so I'll soon know if we can slow down a bit. Whereabouts you both hoping to work/live?
I revised in the sense that I went online to see what formats the test took...ideally I'd like to end up in Waikato and carry on neonatal nursing however the jobs are few and far between so may find myself going back to A&e for a bit..told my recruiter no where further south than Christchurch and Auckland as a last resort lol
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

JoviPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

The IELTS is fairly easy (especially the listening section!!) but I suggest that you look at some example papers online to get a rough idea of what the examiners are looking for, particularly for the reading section.

I'm looking at Wellington for many reasons, but Auckland is a possibility too.

These are exciting but very scary times!!
Old Jul 17th 2017, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

hollynic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am a diploma nurse about to start the registration process. Can anyone confirm if you have to send off original paper documents by post? Can you send copies by post? Holly x
Old Jul 17th 2017, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hollynic
Hi I am a diploma nurse about to start the registration process. Can anyone confirm if you have to send off original paper documents by post? Can you send copies by post? Holly x
Hi they want the references and your signed cv to be original, the letter of good standing and transcripts have to be sent direct from the NMC/ university, all else can certified copies (your IELTS certificate, passport etc) below I've put a link which has the documents checklist it says what is original and what doesn't have to be

Last edited by inkedneonurse; Jul 17th 2017 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hollynic
http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/content/download/1510/6916/file/RN%20International%20application%20form%2023Feb17% 20-%20online%20app.pdf