Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Am feeling really homesick today

Am feeling really homesick today

Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am feeling really homesick today

Originally Posted by love30stm
I can get oxo cubes at pac and save and galaxy chocolate at the brit shops...not that I do (get galaxy i mean)

I love the Rocky road choc , ok need to diet
I'm talking about many years ago, sorry perhaps should have made that clear. I can get Parky Nanas here (Mighty Ones at that!) but they cost loads as they're imported, and then I have to hide them from the kids....
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by j19fmm
I'm talking about many years ago, sorry perhaps should have made that clear. I can get Parky Nanas here (Mighty Ones at that!) but they cost loads as they're imported, and then I have to hide them from the kids....
Been here 18 months and still home sick. If the truth be known, I think I would go home (UK) at the drop of a hat.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

krissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kato33
It really is a painfull thing aint it!
I get it a hell of alot and nothing can help you stop that feeliing while its there.
Just remember......IT WILL PASS, although never quite feels like it would, but it WILL.
Take a look at the UK newspapers online and sometimes it makes you put things into prospective.
Hope you feel better tomorrow, I am sure you will.

Nici
i dont think it ever passes!!! i miss the trafford centre too, as well as loads of other things and its been 3.5yrs.....
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:42 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

All I can say New Zealand is not The UK...I miss my family,, but cant say I have got homesick for the UK yet...

maybe miss pubs and pretty villages...but thats it.. just stick at it, a friend of mine in Napier is my best friend who I have known since I was 5 so perhaps it helps that she seems like family to me...could have been different if I dont know anyone familiar I suppose....do you think?

Anyway stick at it and remember why you came in the first place, it will look a lot nicer when the summer is here which wont be long I promise xxxxx
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I still have periods of homesickness, after 3 years of being here... I guess its probably pretty normal. At the moment I feel a bit down as its my dads birthday today, its my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary in 2 days time and they had a huge party last weekend and of course we were the only relatives not there, and my best friend in the UK is fighting cancer and is really unwell now, so I feel a long way away and pretty low about it all.... I still love it here and dont want to move back to the UK but I wish we had more money so that we could go back and see everybody, that would be great.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

All done with now, I sat and thought about why i left and that did the trick.
Its funny how quickly you forget about things when they are not in your face anymore.
There were so many things in the uk that i didnt like and didnt agree with, yet after
only six weeks i seem to have flushed them all from my system which is a real plus point for NZ

One thing i remembered was the people we met while we were in OZ 16 years ago.
A lot of the brits we met there were so miserable. We would go along to BBQ's
and they would just sit moaning and grumbling about how miserable they all were and how they couldnt stand life in OZ.
most of them had been there for a good few years yet they still kept moaning.
We couldnt settle there and returned home after a year, we were very happy for the next 10 or 12 years.
I couldnt understand why those peopple in OZ couldnt do the same.
Surely it better to go back the uk and be happy than to stay somewhere and be miserable.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

annbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Maz1
Been here 18 months and still home sick. If the truth be known, I think I would go home (UK) at the drop of a hat.
Thought I would just say hi as i live in hobsonville, just up the road from you, we have been here 10 months now, had a couple of weeks of homesickness but it has gone now x
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by annbee
Thought I would just say hi as i live in hobsonville, just up the road from you, we have been here 10 months now, had a couple of weeks of homesickness but it has gone now x
Hi there, any time you fancy a coffee let me know
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Stuee is on a distinguished road

Hey Maz was just trawlin this site, yup bored at work again, just buzz if you guys fancy a beer, Janes back is better now. Didnt know you werent enjoying it!!

Ian n Jane
Old Aug 8th 2008, 11:01 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
All done with now, I sat and thought about why i left and that did the trick.
Its funny how quickly you forget about things when they are not in your face anymore.
There were so many things in the uk that i didnt like and didnt agree with, yet after
only six weeks i seem to have flushed them all from my system which is a real plus point for NZ

One thing i remembered was the people we met while we were in OZ 16 years ago.
A lot of the brits we met there were so miserable. We would go along to BBQ's
and they would just sit moaning and grumbling about how miserable they all were and how they couldnt stand life in OZ.
most of them had been there for a good few years yet they still kept moaning.
We couldnt settle there and returned home after a year, we were very happy for the next 10 or 12 years.
I couldnt understand why those peopple in OZ couldnt do the same.
Surely it better to go back the uk and be happy than to stay somewhere and be miserable.

So true. I was more homesick in London, 50 minutes from 'home' than I've ever been here. I'm going back on the 19th and I'm missing my friends already. I actually don't want to be away from them. And I never had that anywhere else I've ever lived. And that's what makes the difference. If you're lucky enough to make friends it's a breeze being away from what you know.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Trust me after spending 5 hours walking round Trafford Centre last week looking for school shoes you aint missing anything. Starbucks was packed , seemed like millions of people looking for end of sale items ( all usual crappy stuff that shops dump at this time of year e.g 1 left shoe & 1 right shoe - what's all that about !!

what kept me going was thinking that hopefully I wont be doing this for a loooong time !!!

Chin up & keep smiling