Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Air Freight Packages

Air Freight Packages

Old Apr 25th 2014, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

LozBeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air Freight Packages

Hi, just wondered if anyone has sent parcels of used clothes from the UK to NZ and been charged Customs taxes?

Reason being, our container left yesterday and I have definitely retained far too many items to be taken on the flight (I still have 3 months here), so I was hoping to start sending clothes parcels to my OH every few weeks to lower the load.

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Ping Pong Pom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Air Freight Packages

I can definitely recommend airfreighting clothes and other items for immediate use, such as PC, laptop and small tv. We went out in 2012 and sent 81kg of personal "stuff" such as the above and sufficient work clothes pending the arrival of our container. Airfreight cost around £300 and NZ customs the princely sum of $30 odd dollars, though I recall a further $100 odd for the receiving agents. All in all though, I considered it small price to pay for familiar items which kept us going.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Ping, I don't have too much to send around 18kg which I could break down into a few separate postal bundles perhaps.

I might send one next week and see how it fares..... It's only clothes and paperwork. I just don't want to be charged import duty on it, else it might not be worth it
Old Apr 28th 2014, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Ray3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond repute

wow, ping that's a good price.

just sent tools, 40kg and is probably gonna set me back £500. I got a horrible feeling I should have done some research before jumping in with pss.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Do you think I'll be charged taxes for sending over a small parcel of my own things through the regular postal service?

My sister in law got charged when her OH sent her a small bundle of her belongings from Oz over to UK when she decided to prolong her visit. It was over £100 excluding the postage her OH paid to send it. On this basis she refused delivery and it was returned FOC.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

MattMW is an unknown quantity at this point

Ping that is a phenomenal price, which company did you use?

I've just been looking at quotes, mainly similar to Ray's 500 for a lot less stuff...
Old Nov 25th 2014, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Chocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really nice

Originally Posted by LozBeth
Hi, just wondered if anyone has sent parcels of used clothes from the UK to NZ and been charged Customs taxes?

Reason being, our container left yesterday and I have definitely retained far too many items to be taken on the flight (I still have 3 months here), so I was hoping to start sending clothes parcels to my OH every few weeks to lower the load.

Any thoughts?
Hello LozBeth, as far as I know you shouldn't be charged on second hand goods. Just declare they are second hand on the package. Good Luck!
Old Nov 25th 2014, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ping Pong Pom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mark,

I used transglobalexpress. They have a self calculation button on their site which is useful.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

No, we have never been hit with charges, always declared it as part of a house move. We have landed with 60kg p/p on the plane, unaccompanied air freight and the container of course. HOWEVER, we have always carried copies of our moving invoice for the container etc and handed that over to the customs officer on landing, along with our records of house sale and the rest.