Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

advice needed..Visa Status

advice needed..Visa Status

Old Apr 6th 2017, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

SkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond repute
Default advice needed..Visa Status

Hi All

We are in week 2 of our new life down under, here with residence visas through the skilled migrant programme with Auckland residence.

Hubby is having a pretty awful week at work. His company seem to be a real Mickey Mouse operation and most of the things he was told in his interview are turning out not to be the case. It's looking like he is about to be sent to Wellington to work 5 days a week.

I seem to think he has to stay in this job for 3 months? Can he move jobs within this time and are there any restrictions on whether it has to be perm or can it be contract... does anyone know?
Old Apr 6th 2017, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice needed..Visa Status

Hi
Sorry to hear your OH is having a rough time...immigration NZ state for jobs in Auckland you have to stay a min of 3 months for outside Auckland it's 12 months
Old Apr 6th 2017, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

SkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I just found that online too with a bit more searching.

I guess 3 months isn't that long really but this really sucks. We are in a period where we are trying to get settled, having to find someone to live, get my boys into nursery so I can find work, and he is being sent to the other end of the north island. If we wanted to live there he would have sought work there not Auckland. I am not looking forward to effectively being a mid week single mum in a new country with a 3 and 1 year old....

sorry, rant over
Old Apr 6th 2017, 3:33 am
Just Joined

ldn29m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
That sounds crazy. That's nearly the equivalent of working in London and then being asked to go to work in Glasgow Monday-Friday!!!

Surely during the interview etc. you would have been given some sort of information if this was going to happen. How can a company expect you to emigrate to NZ (Auckland) with a family and then change the location nearly 400 miles away. I don't see this as a rant at all, it's quite shocking. I hope you can sort something out.

Last edited by ldn29m; Apr 6th 2017 at 3:34 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 6th 2017, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

I know. I'm feeling quite panicked to be honest. They spoke about location and it was specifically from their Auckland office. My husband worked all over Europe when we lived in the U.K. And expressly told them during the interview that he was not looking to be doing so much travel. They confirmed it would be Auckland based work. We could contest it but not sure it will change much.

I'm really worried about my ability to find us a house and move when I'm on my own with the kids.

Feeling pretty stuffed right now - would like to use a stronger word.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 4:37 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

is this Wellington trip just a few weeks/months or more permanent?

You would need to check over his contract and see if they snuck anything in there so go through with a fine tooth comb. thing is if he doesn't stay the 3 months then you have broken your visa conditions so that would put you in even more awkward situation.

If more permanent then tell the company you would want contribution to the relocation costs as Auckland was where you were informed you would be living. Personally Wellington may actually be good for the family as somewhat cheaper.

Wait until you know the full ins and outs and make sure they put it in writing what they are expecting so there is no confusion as its in black and white.

But as I said the first option would be to go through contract.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 4:40 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as for finding a house, thats to rent?? please please do not say you are looking to buy this early on?

As for rentals you and the kids going to be in most of the time so in the first place I would say you would need to be comfortable in the property and in my experience men aren't that fussed. as long as it has internet and a bed all good for them.