Reload this Page >

Advice and Experiences

Advice and Experiences

Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

dingab88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice and Experiences

Hello everyone

I am currently researching a move to New Zealand upon leaving my current job in the next year or so, and just looking to gain all the advice and information that I can. Here is some information about me:

I am currently employed as a Marine Engineer within the Royal Navy submarine service. I have qualifications I the following:

NVQ levels 2 and 3 in a range of electrical, mechanical and nuclear submarine systems, firefighting qualifications, GCSEs, A levels, foundation Certificate in IT and a few more.

The main question I'm looking to get answered is how employable I am based on my skills, experiences and qualifications gain during my time within the navy.

Has anyone else relocated to New Zealand after serving in the military?

And how hard was it to find employment for people?

Thanks in advanced

Chris
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice and Experiences

Originally Posted by dingab88
Hello everyone

I am currently researching a move to New Zealand upon leaving my current job in the next year or so, and just looking to gain all the advice and information that I can. Here is some information about me:

I am currently employed as a Marine Engineer within the Royal Navy submarine service. I have qualifications I the following:

NVQ levels 2 and 3 in a range of electrical, mechanical and nuclear submarine systems, firefighting qualifications, GCSEs, A levels, foundation Certificate in IT and a few more.

The main question I'm looking to get answered is how employable I am based on my skills, experiences and qualifications gain during my time within the navy.

Has anyone else relocated to New Zealand after serving in the military?

And how hard was it to find employment for people?

Thanks in advanced

Chris
You may find the easiest route would be to join the NZ navy.

http://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/reenlist-overseas

Both marine engineer and all ranks of the services feature in the skilled migrant jobs list. However as I found out when I left the mob the qualifications you gain mean squat (nvq whilst recognised are assessed as being very low by the NZQA)
Old Mar 9th 2017, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

MovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Advice and Experiences

Good Morning,

Being X-Mil (Army) with technical quals, leaving in 2009 and finally emigrating to Aus in 2010, I would urge you to look at your wider skill set and possibly gain some more Civilian Quals - I have met a number of UK/Aus X-Navy guys on my travels and even a submariner who have done very well in the Oil & Gas Sector albeit a lot older than I am guessing you are. If you have 1 to 2 years even look at getting at least Diplomas or foundation degree.