Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

about renting a house/apt in NZ

about renting a house/apt in NZ

Old Mar 10th 2015, 3:04 am
Just Joined

MaxxNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default about renting a house/apt in NZ

I have got my PR, and been planning my landing probably from this Oct.
At the beginning, I would rather want to experience more cities in NZ. Maybe, I will stay in each major city for three months, before I make my decision of settlement.

However, some friends told me that short-term rental is not easy to get. Most of time, landlord wants to have half-year or even one-year contract of rental. Is this information true? what's the best way to get rental of three-months?
In the meantime, I don't want to purchase furniture at the beginning. Is furnished apt/house easy to be rent?

Many thanks.
Maxx
Old Mar 10th 2015, 3:49 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: about renting a house/apt in NZ

Hmmm, if you are thinking of short term renting you might want to revise the plan to buy furniture. The costs of starting a new tenancy tend to be at least a week's rent to the agent, plus all other associated moving costs, so this could be a very expensive way to see the main cities. It's also quite a hassle with rentals being hard to find in both Auckland and Christchurch.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 3:51 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you could look at holiday lets or serviced apartments
Old Mar 10th 2015, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Hmmm, if you are thinking of short term renting you might want to revise the plan to buy furniture. The costs of starting a new tenancy tend to be at least a week's rent to the agent, plus all other associated moving costs, so this could be a very expensive way to see the main cities. It's also quite a hassle with rentals being hard to find in both Auckland and Christchurch.
It's nice to have your quick comments.
Yeah, I noticed the similar problem. If I could expand my rental to half year for a furnished house/apt, do the options become bigger?
Old Mar 10th 2015, 5:34 am
Just Joined

thanks for your advice. It looks holiday lets or serviced apartments are relatively expensive.
Do all houses for rental have no furniture?
Old Mar 10th 2015, 8:11 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you could ask for a deal on the rent for holiday home if you want to stay for more than a few weeks
Old Mar 12th 2015, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

We've always taken a short-term rental giving only three weeks' notice. However, we've lived in the places for more than six months. But if you're moving around so frequently then holiday rental seems the best option, but these can be expensive as you say. Unlike Oz, NZ hasn't many purpose-built flats which you can rent for short periods.

What you could do is find out about the holiday parks in the places you wish to go as they have furnished cabins or flats there which you can rent out for short periods of time. They are also much cheaper than the short-term holiday places in town. Takapuna has a holiday park in Northcote which is minutes from town.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

If you are on your own, maybe consider flat/house sharing. These are usually fully furnished and more amenable to a shorter lease. Have a look at Trademe for examples.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

You could base yourself in a city and do a few days in each other area to get a feel for the different places

Be a lot cheaper to have a base and do weekend or weekday trips
Old Mar 16th 2015, 3:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cappuccino
If you are on your own, maybe consider flat/house sharing. These are usually fully furnished and more amenable to a shorter lease. Have a look at Trademe for examples.
Thanks for your advice. I have a family with me, including a 3-years old girl. After reviewing all the advice, I decided to have a base then. It's easier to rent a house with a one-year contract then
Old Mar 16th 2015, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Parnell
You could base yourself in a city and do a few days in each other area to get a feel for the different places

Be a lot cheaper to have a base and do weekend or weekday trips
Thanks. I have decided to follow your way, which is pretty much the same advice from others.
By the way, for a long term rent, is it easy to find a furnished house?
Old Mar 16th 2015, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Chocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really nice

Originally Posted by MaxxNZ
Thanks. I have decided to follow your way, which is pretty much the same advice from others.
A good way to get an idea of what's available is to search on these websites.

Real Estate, Houses for Sale, Rentals, Commercial and Businesses for sale at Realestate.co.nz - Realestate.co.nz

Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me

Best you know that it is much more difficult to secure anything from overseas before you arrive - if that is your plan.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaxxNZ
From what I have seen your best to focus on unfurnished and use places like the warehouse to initially "camp".

Others will probably have suggestions on budget places for furniture etc.

We had family and friends decultering batches so did ok for short term needs.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

AirBnB?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 10:19 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above, you're better off not restricting yourself to furnished places as these may well be hard to find. Most rentals seem to be unfurnished.

If you're planning on living in NZ longterm then buying furniture may well work out cheaper and easier. Have a look at what's available in the areas you want to live in and compare prices.
It'll also give you more choice when it comes to choosing somewhere. There are plenty of threads on the [lack of] quality in NZ housing stock so limiting yourself to furnished may well mean you end up somewhere completely unsuitable especially if you have a 3year old - I'm thinking mould, damp etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.