Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

1 nurse and 1 gas man, HELP!

1 nurse and 1 gas man, HELP!

Old Feb 7th 2010, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice
Default 1 nurse and 1 gas man, HELP!

Hi all im soon to be a newly qualified mental health nurse, ive heard that NZ is not too fussy about experience (unlike aus) as im looking to get to Wellington asap to be with my brother.
I qualify for the working to residency visa with my partner, im just wondering is it right what ive heard with regarding to experience?
Also my partner has NVQ level 2&3 in Gas, he too will not have much experience by the time we get out to NZ maybe about 6months, does anyone know about the conversion over to NZ qualification NVQ equvilent??
Any info would be grand!
Thanks
xx
Old Feb 7th 2010, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 nurse and 1 gas man, HELP!

Qualifications are one thing but real-life industry experience is another.
At the end of the day experience is one factor, albeit some companies want more experience than others.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Shazmoo
Hi all im soon to be a newly qualified mental health nurse, ive heard that NZ is not too fussy about experience (unlike aus) as im looking to get to Wellington asap to be with my brother.
I qualify for the working to residency visa with my partner, im just wondering is it right what ive heard with regarding to experience?
Also my partner has NVQ level 2&3 in Gas, he too will not have much experience by the time we get out to NZ maybe about 6months, does anyone know about the conversion over to NZ qualification NVQ equvilent??
Any info would be grand!
Thanks
xx
I'm moving this to the main forum so more people see it.

With regard to Gasfitting in NZ. One doesn't 'convert' an overseas/UK qualification to an NZ one.

He would need to become NZ registered and that is not for the faint hearted.

The NZ plumbing board of New Zealand doesn't fully recognise any overseas qualifications.

First he would need to submit his UK qual and work experience for a pre-assessment $400.

They will look and decide whether or not he is eligible to take their 4 days worth of PGDB exams and assessments here in NZ.
If yes. Then he should work in the trade for at least 6 months or more before even considering taking the 4 day grilling as it includes maths, techniques no longer taught in the UK and/or methods special to NZ. It will also include NZ standards, regulations , H&S etc. $3,200 NZD

If he doesn't pass the pre-assessment then they would want him to do an NZ apprenticeship before he could even consider taking NZ registration.

What the PGDB look for is a fully qualified , time served career gasfitter/plumber. They like apprenticeships and/or around 5 years on the tools .... just as their own apprentices serve before being allowed to become apprentices.
Of course, they will want to see he has current ACOPs /ACS .

Please have a browse of the PGDB website . Use this LINK HERE.

New Zealand Immigration look to the PGDB to assess overseas plumbing and gasfitting quals and work exp, so the first port of call is the PGDB for any gasfitter.

----------

Nurses.

There are a few nurses on our board who can help you.

Nursing is another occupation which requires NZ registration. Here is a LINK to the nursing council registration application.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:43 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Any info would be grand!
Thanks
xx
Hi there
My wife was is newly qualified Metal Health Nurse
if you want to Pm me
Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Here is a previous thread about Nurses ( click the bold type) which you may find helpful and interesting.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

Hi,

when will you qualify?? 99% of DHB's in NZ may require you to enter their new graduate programme. It's not that commom for them to employ a new qualified nurse without completing the programme
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:58 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Any info would be grand!
Thanks
xx
Hi,
I'm a mental health nurse - work at Keneperu, Porirua. There is one acute mental health Ward in Wellington, and various forensic, rehab, adolescent & ID (LD) wards at Porirua. We always have RN vacancies. I can always give you my boss's number and you can ask him yourself how the situation is.
Karen
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:59 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Meant to add:
http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/dhb-links
Capital & Coast for Wellington
Hope this helps

And:
http://capitalhealthcareers.org.nz/Pages/Vacancies.aspx
to be more specific

Last edited by karonious; Feb 8th 2010 at 7:04 am.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:46 am
conquering the world!

I spoke to my boss today regarding the need for experience and of course he suggested I ask HIS boss...
I will email her after my 2 days off and let you know what she says.
Will keep you posted
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

Originally Posted by dubstar
Hi,

when will you qualify?? 99% of DHB's in NZ may require you to enter their new graduate programme. It's not that commom for them to employ a new qualified nurse without completing the programme

You are able to apply for the new grad programme or Netp as its also known from the UK from a dhb website